OT: Sens Lounge CIV - Keep your damned hands off the door edition

Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I absolutely hated Great Gatsby when I had to read it in Grade 11. Then we had to watch the movie with DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire and that was even worse.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I absolutely hated Great Gatsby when I had to read it in Grade 11. Then we had to watch the movie with DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire and that was even worse.

Oh man. I don't think I ever saw that or had any desire to. I don't remember whether we had it in 12 or OAC but we watched the older version, with Robert Redford. I don't recall particularly enjoying either book or movie but it was what it was, the only really interesting part about that English class was that we had two groups of desks facing each other, with an aisle in the middle, and I could while away class trying to make eye contact with the pretty girls on the other side.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

That movie is disaster. Like, it is so bad that it deserves to be studied in film school.

I mean, Baz Luhrmann is an awful director in general and I pretty much dislike all of his movies, but that movie was so bad that nobody has given Luhrmann another opportunity to direct a major picture since Gatsby bombed, which was SIX YEARS ago.

It's a movie so bad that I forced myself to watch the entire thing, because I couldn't believe that anyone spent one hundred million dollars on it, let alone make a profit on it (which it did)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Worst movie ever. I wish I had that time back!

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
That movie is disaster. Like, it is so bad that it deserves to be studied in film school.

I mean, Baz Luhrmann is an awful director in general and I pretty much dislike all of his movies, but that movie was so bad that nobody has given Luhrmann another opportunity to direct a major picture since Gatsby bombed, which was SIX YEARS ago.

It's a movie so bad that I forced myself to watch the entire thing, because I couldn't believe that anyone spent one hundred million dollars on it, let alone make a profit on it (which it did)
If that isn't an indictment on audiences then I don't know what is.

Also, they purposefully? cast Tobey Maguire as Nick, who also hasn't really done anything since Gatsby I think.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I think that Luhrmann had enough of a "fanbase" from Moulin Rouge that people were willing to follow him on this journey.

I mean, that's the only explanation I can think of, but you'd think those people had learned their lesson after suffering through Luhrmann's "Australia", which was also objectively awful.

I think people thought this would be Moulin Rouge 2? :huh:

Also, they purposefully? cast Tobey Maguire as Nick, who also hasn't really done anything since Gatsby I think.

Poor Toby.

The guy is good in roles that his type of acting calls for (like... He was good in movies like Pleasantville and Cider House Rules) but the guy gets forced in some REALLY poorly cast movies. His agent is either really good, or really bad. I haven't figured out which one it is though. :laugh:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

The only thing I can remember him being in since is Pawn Sacrifice.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think that Luhrmann had enough of a "fanbase" from Moulin Rouge that people were willing to follow him on this journey.

I mean, that's the only explanation I can think of, but you'd think those people had learned their lesson after suffering through Luhrmann's "Australia", which was also objectively awful.

I think people thought this would be Moulin Rouge 2? :huh:

Poor Toby.

The guy is good in roles that his type of acting calls for (like... He was good in movies like Pleasantville and Cider House Rules) but the guy gets forced in some REALLY poorly cast movies. His agent is either really good, or really bad. I haven't figured out which one it is though. :laugh:

Tobey kind of got indirectly lambasted in Molly's Game. Gives the impression that he could maybe be a bit "difficult" in real life, but who knows. Still seems to be far and away the number 2 in terms of career accomplishments in Leo's "p***y Posse" (what a dumb name...and that's coming from someone with 69 in their username).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I'm going to a work (nurse+doctor) Christmas party tonight, but I don't want to dress up too much. Do you guys think that nice jeans + Christmas sweater is fine? Do I need a button up?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm going to a work (nurse+doctor) Christmas party tonight, but I don't want to dress up too much. Do you guys think that nice jeans + Christmas sweater is fine? Do I need a button up?

Whats the venue? Basically any company Christmas party I've ever been to has been a semi-formal affair for the most part.
I'd assume for that group, suit jacket /blazer would be a minimum?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Just wear a 3 piece suit instead of tux if you want to dress down.

Whats the venue? Basically any company Christmas party I've ever been to has been a semi-formal affair for the most part.
I'd assume for that group, suit jacket /blazer would be a minimum?

I just decided to put on my nice clothes after further review. I wore what I originally said, then I put on a nice shirt, pants, and jacket, and it is night/day lol.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I do not own a suit or a blazer. I suppose that makes my clothing choices easy.

T-shirt and jeans, or naked....

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Our unit has two parties (mostly so lots of people can go to something). But one is at a pub and generally pretty casual. The other is basically a big wedding... So you gotta dress to impress. Lol.

This year I'm missing all Christmas parties. :(

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Our unit has two parties (mostly so lots of people can go to something). But one is at a pub and generally pretty casual. The other is basically a big wedding... So you gotta dress to impress. Lol.

This year I'm missing all Christmas parties. :(

Ours was like right in between. I'm glad I basically wore a suit, haha. I was also only one of 4 males :O

Why'd you miss yours? Work shifts both times? :'(

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Scrubs obviously. It's like "haha" funny but also if you spill wine and hors d'oeuvres all over yourself it's not a big deal

Worth the click, irl lols every time I flash back to it

Reactions: BonkTastic

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ours was like right in between. I'm glad I basically wore a suit, haha. I was also only one of 4 males :O

For the short end of the stick women get in so many areas, I do sometimes envy them the broad scale of options they have in terms of dressing up levels, though of course it can also be a burden

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Now that we're what halfway through the season, what are people's thoughts on The Mandalorian? If I'm to be completely honest, it's pretty clunky. I get what it's trying to do, but it almost does too good a job it - which is being shitty 70s sci-fi for the gen x nostalgia crowd. Don't get me wrong, I want to like it and will keep watching it, but it doesn't really have a lot of redeeming qualities and wtf is with giving us half hour episodes when it was clearly meant to be an hour-slot show?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I find it weird how inconsistent the episode lengths are.

One as short as 30 minutes while another is 41 minutes.

But other than last night's episode (which if it was a 20 something episode season would be forgiveable as pure filler trash), I've enjoyed the series to the point I'm watching it once with the friend and once again with a drinking buddy so they both stay up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->