Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My behaviour resembles that of an amphetamine abuser.

I put down a deposit on a Cybertruck.

I was trying to put my finger on what could have caused Tesla to settle on the design they did for the Cybertruck, and it never occurred to me that they were chasing the high-end amphetamine clientele.

Makes sense now.

Reactions: The Lewler

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It really seems like in The Canada and The America, im not sure about The Europe, but i often hear people talking about "The" Ukraine and i cant help but think this is due to that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman were playing Risk and Kramer was taunting him - The Ukraine, it is weak my friend ...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It really seems like in The Canada and The America, im not sure about The Europe, but i often hear people talking about "The" Ukraine and i cant help but think this is due to that Seinfeld episode...

It goes back way further than that, actually.

The Soviet Union was the one who first started referring to it as "The" Ukraine, when speaking about it as a Soviet territory within the USSR.

"Ukraine" roughly translates to "borderland" and the Soviets referred to Ukraine as "the borderland", both as a geopolitical definition, as well as one that had possessive connotations. Calling it "The Borderland" suggested it was never it's own unique area with its own customs or people, but an extension of Soviet territory. Hence, in translation, it became "The Ukraine". The West has been referring to it with the "The" prefix since the 1950's at least.

Fun fact: Ukraine HATES it when people call it "The" Ukraine, because it suggests a relationship with its former conquerer that it assuredly does not like.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It goes back way further than that, actually.

The Soviet Union was the one who first started referring to it as "The" Ukraine, when speaking about it as a Soviet territory within the USSR.

"Ukraine" roughly translates to "borderland" and the Soviets referred to Ukraine as "the borderland", both as a geopolitical definition, as well as one that had possessive connotations. Calling it "The Borderland" suggested it was never it's own unique area with its own customs or people, but an extension of Soviet territory. Hence, in translation, it became "The Ukraine". The West has been referring to it with the "The" prefix since the 1950's at least.

Fun fact: Ukraine HATES it when people call it "The" Ukraine, because it suggests a relationship with its former conquerer that it assuredly does not like.

Great place for a vacation.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Now that we're what halfway through the season, what are people's thoughts on The Mandalorian? If I'm to be completely honest, it's pretty clunky. I get what it's trying to do, but it almost does too good a job it - which is being ****ty 70s sci-fi for the gen x nostalgia crowd. Don't get me wrong, I want to like it and will keep watching it, but it doesn't really have a lot of redeeming qualities and wtf is with giving us half hour episodes when it was clearly meant to be an hour-slot show?
I find the episodes good but not great. Every episode he makes a friend, shoots someone, moves on. There is no story yet to anticipate.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Aren't the Decepticons only flying? Except the construction ones and Soundwave?...Oh and I guess Megatron becomes a gun a fraction of his size somehow.

I don't think those "unbreakable windows" could stand up to Optimus Prime regardless.
Stunticons, Combaticons.

All decepticons fly though.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I bought an amazing monitor off of Best Buy on Black Friday.

They just emailed me and said “Sorry, we cannot secure inventory. We have cancelled your order.”

Can they do this?

The deal was insane.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

They just emailed me and said “Sorry, we cannot secure inventory. We have cancelled your order.”

Can they do this?

The deal was insane.
Sure they can. You haven't paid them anything that wasn't returned to you. What damages could you claim? It's a shitty practice but 100% legal.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Way behind. Just finished season one of Game of Thrones. Can't believe how it ended. :laugh:

Enjoy the ride! A phenomenal cast and I haven't read the books, and not about to anytime soon, but great stories and set in a blockbuster cinematic setting on a weekly basis.

Reactions: OmniSens

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Can they do this?

The deal was insane.

Which monitor was it? I almost pulled the trigger on a 27" 2k asus tuf TN panel for 450, but decided to wait and see if I really needed dual monitors with a 32" as my primary.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Sure they can. You haven't paid them anything that wasn't returned to you. What damages could you claim? It's a ****ty practice but 100% legal.
And then tomorrow it will be back in stock online. I've had that happen before. Found something on super sale. A few days later the store claims it has no stock. A day or two after that the item was back in stock for regular price and they would not match their earlier sale price. Grrrrr

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Way behind. Just finished season one of Game of Thrones. Can't believe how it ended. :laugh:

Despite what many people have said recently I still think it's worth watching all the way until the end of the series. While the consistency does drop off after there are no more books to go on, there are still a lot of great moments and scenes, supported by great performances.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad