OT: Sens Lounge CII | End Incorrect Roman Numerals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I check my work emails while on vacation just to be "in the know" I don't do anything actionable with them until I return.

I never found I was able to fully relax when I checked my emails daily while on vacation

After many years of a work phone... may be quitting this week. New job has no mobile phone requirement. Pretty excited to take on a lot less hassle.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I never found I was able to fully relax when I checked my emails daily while on vacation

After many years of a work phone... may be quitting this week. New job has no mobile phone requirement. Pretty excited to take on a lot less hassle.

I think it just depends on the job. Very few emails I get are "actionable" maybe like 1-2 a day tops, and the chances of it being high priority are like 1% so it doesnt affect my ability to relax.

Of course, I suffer from pretty bad anxiety and some depression, mostly bad anxiety, so just being away from home causes me to not relax, so there is that. :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Next year I will be the 40-year-old dad of a 15-year-old and I can safely say the situation is more the opposite. I am by far the youngest parent for his cohort.

Most of my friends had kids way after me, some of them are just having kids now at 40+ (though their wives are younger). I can't really compare which is better but I do wish I could've had kids at the same time as friends so we could do family **** together. I'm not one for making friends with other parents at school. For one thing they're all older plus they're boring normies. :)
I will be 47 soon, and have an 18, 16 and 11 yr old. I really enjoyed having my kids young. Kicking soccer balls, shooting pucks, having a beer together lol...i was lucky that most have a sibling that somehow matches with one of my three. I get what you are saying tho

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The C7 is amazing...but some of the people that drive them are ruining it for the others...lol. I'm sure you know what I mean. Do you have the ZR1?

I will probably snag a used C6 or 911 sometime in the next 5 years or so. At least that's the plan.

I have the Z06 , 7sp manual. I can barely keep that thing on the road as it is, shudder to think of a ZR1 lol. I think back in '15 when I ordered the '16, if there was the Grand Sport, I might have got that because it has the Z06 looks with 460 bhp. I say that, but on the other hand, flooring (or squeezing lol) it is intoxicating. g

I love the C6, just hate the interior. But the C6 Z06 is a beast of a car. Friend of mine had one and drove it quite a bit until he got a C6 ZR1, which was a little frightening to be honest lol.

My avatar pic is actually me in a Z06 at Spring Mountain, Nevada, at the Ron Fellows Corvette School!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I honestly have no idea how people just go for extended periods of time without access to email.

Like if I’m on vacation I (hopefully) won’t respond in-depth or actively do work, but I’m checking email 24/7 and constantly available.

When people talk about “doing their emails” lol it’s like don’t you just do that 24/7 as part of your life?

Work is depressing.
Going on vacation soon and I disable the email. If there is a problem, someone will get a hold of me! But you need to get away mentally and physically or you will burn out. I am burned out right now

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I have the Z06 , 7sp manual. I can barely keep that thing on the road as it is, shudder to think of a ZR1 lol. I think back in '15 when I ordered the '16, if there was the Grand Sport, I might have got that because it has the Z06 looks with 460 bhp. I say that, but on the other hand, flooring (or squeezing lol) it is intoxicating. g

I love the C6, just hate the interior. But the C6 Z06 is a beast of a car. Friend of mine had one and drove it quite a bit until he got a C6 ZR1, which was a little frightening to be honest lol.

My avatar pic is actually me in a Z06 at Spring Mountain, Nevada, at the Ron Fellows Corvette School!
C5 and C6 interiors are both really bad. You can see with the C6 that GM was kind of making progress, but they were making those when the company was in deep shit in that mid/late 2000s.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Going on vacation soon and I disable the email. If there is a problem, someone will get a hold of me! But you need to get away mentally and physically or you will burn out. I am burned out right now

It’s just not something that’s done in my world to be honest. I’ll hopefully be in a position to “go dark” every once in a while once I’m more experienced but for now supreme responsiveness is the name of the game.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If I don't answer my email while on vacation then it will all accumulate and will be even more stressful to deal with when I'm back.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
C5 and C6 interiors are both really bad. You can see with the C6 that GM was kind of making progress, but they were making those when the company was in deep **** in that mid/late 2000s.
The new one is really, really cool. The square steering wheel, the design is outstanding.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It’s just not something that’s done in my world to be honest. I’ll hopefully be in a position to “go dark” every once in a while once I’m more experienced but for now supreme responsiveness is the name of the game.
I’m lucky that I have a partner that will cover most of what I do. I think you are in corporate law, right? So is it just a question of client stuff or actioning stuff while you are on holiday?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
There's probably 2 here...but they're likely the crooked kind :sarcasm:

ALL construction is crooked. :sarcasm:

6VPKS2J44JBH7MRQPJVPFSM6Y4

(this was a couple of blocks away from my place)

Reactions: EasyMoneySniper

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I honestly have no idea how people just go for extended periods of time without access to email.

Like if I’m on vacation I (hopefully) won’t respond in-depth or actively do work, but I’m checking email 24/7 and constantly available.

When people talk about “doing their emails” lol it’s like don’t you just do that 24/7 as part of your life?

Work is depressing.
As some of you may remember, last summer I took the whole month of August off and travelled with my wife and kids in Italy. I never realized how bad I needed that vacation as work and personal health issues of my dying father took over and I did not take anytime for about 20 months. In the end I was a miserable walking zombie. When I came back after 4 weeks, I entered the house with the alarm beeping asking for the code. I just stared at it, i could not remember the code, my ten year old had to punch it in. That is when I realized, I completely shut down, I completely decompressed so much so that I never realized how badly it was needed. If you guys can, you need to shut it down, let others step up for you and you can do the same for them when its their turn. Burning out is not healthy.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I’m lucky that I have a partner that will cover most of what I do. I think you are in corporate law, right? So is it just a question of client stuff or actioning stuff while you are on holiday?

Corporate real estate law, yes.

Usually just about staying copied to ensure deal continuity. Occasionally there will be questions from the client or the other side that only I can answer by virtue of how workstreams have progressed.

On rare occasions there will be an emergency that requires work product be produced immediately while on vacation.

Pressure always starts with the client; most have relentless expectations. Going off the grid for extended periods of time is basically just unacceptable.

Edit: and to be clear I’m not trying to justify this at all - it’s a crappy way to live. But I need a job and this is more or less what’s available to me based on how things have progressed in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad