OT: Sens Lounge CII | End Incorrect Roman Numerals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't get the warning on my phone, and was maybe a 5 min drive away from where they touched down. Heck, I never even noticed it being windy where I was...
Yeah I found it kinda stupid that there was no warning on our phones and/or television either. I'm sure everyone is safe and hope none were hurt.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
All my devices at home chirped the warning at 6:04pm. This weather has turned and I just read an article that says climatologist believe Canada has the second most tornadoes in the world. Yikes. Time to start thinking of setting up power generators for back up in homes. This does not look like its going to change.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
All my devices at home chirped the warning at 6:04pm. This weather has turned and I just read an article that says climatologist believe Canada has the second most tornadoes in the world. Yikes. Time to start thinking of setting up power generators for back up in homes. This does not look like its going to change.
I'm pretty sure Tornados only happen in north america.

edit:

800px-Globdisttornado.jpg

I don't remember hearing about tornados in europe before.

Historically Ontario has the most tornadoes in Canada.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

I think I found that article. Looks like it was updated about an hour or so before the one that hit yesterday... Wizard?

Canada the world’s second most tornado-prone country: Climatologist

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah tornado event increasing in both intensity and occurence is pretty scary.

Definitely making me think about relocating! This is only going to get much worse and at an increasing rate.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder if buildings in eastern Ontario had this many earthquakes, tornadoes and floods in mind. Kinda feels like the way things are going, we might need to up the standards for future builds.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wonder if buildings in eastern Ontario had this many earthquakes, tornadoes and floods in mind. Kinda feels like the way things are going, we might need to up the standards for future builds.

We aren't actually getting more earthquakes though.

Floods and tornadoes though? Of course not. Overhead costs and margins means corners are cut everywhere and that is on "old world" data.

On the flip side, that is a bigtime earning opportunity.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We aren't actually getting more earthquakes though.

Floods and tornadoes though? Of course not. Overhead costs and margins means corners are cut everywhere and that is on "old world" data.

On the flip side, that is a bigtime earning opportunity.

Does feel like we've had a few notable tremors over the last 5-7 years. More than I remember growing up anyways.

But I do think it might be a godo idea for the government to be somewhat proactive and take a look at building structures and standards across the country. With climate changing, increasing flooding and all fo that, making a few changes now to standards and zoning could save billions down the road.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Does feel like we've had a few notable tremors over the last 5-7 years. More than I remember growing up anyways.

But I do think it might be a godo idea for the government to be somewhat proactive and take a look at building structures and standards across the country. With climate changing, increasing flooding and all fo that, making a few changes now to standards and zoning could save billions down the road.

The fight against climate change is already lost: getting people to make sacrifices for which they won't reap the benefits is dead-on-arrival. "You want me to reduce my emissions and pay more taxes so someone else in the future doesn't get screwed? Screw that, I don't want to get screwed".

Climate change will be our own Thanos: reboot the "humanity franchise" by wiping out most of it.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So evidently if you're In a bar where people are watching the Raptors, and you cheer as loud as they do whenever the blue and gold team gets a point. They get kind of angry.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
The fight against climate change is already lost: getting people to make sacrifices for which they won't reap the benefits is dead-on-arrival. "You want me to reduce my emissions and pay more taxes so someone else in the future doesn't get screwed? Screw that, I don't want to get screwed".

Climate change will be our own Thanos: reboot the "humanity franchise" by wiping out most of it.

At the rate humanity is going, we'll have to start inhabiting another planet to keep up with the population growth, waste, and emissions.

Or maybe we'll invent advanced AI someday that will wipe us all out for endangering the health of the planet.

Humanity seems to have a problem with inventing and mass producing new technology before they fully understand it and the ramifications...or maybe I should just stop watching that Chernobyl show on HBO.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
At the rate humanity is going, we'll have to start inhabiting another planet to keep up with the population growth, waste, and emissions.

Or maybe we'll invent advanced AI someday that will wipe us all out for endangering the health of the planet.

Humanity seems to have a problem with inventing and mass producing new technology before they fully understand it and the ramifications...or maybe I should just stop watching that Chernobyl show on HBO.

Population growth is actually projected to stop at about 11 million around 2100.

Now how much energy sources, efficiency, and usage changes will be important since the developing world is getting richer and will be using more energy. But the population in of itself shouldn't be a problem.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Population growth is actually projected to stop at about 11 million around 2100.

Now how much energy sources, efficiency, and usage changes will be important since the developing world is getting richer and will be using more energy. But the population in of itself shouldn't be a problem.
typo: billion.

The planet cannot sustain that population based on our current consumption needs, from energy, to resources, to water and food. http://www.footprintcalculator.org

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So evidently if you're In a bar where people are watching the Raptors, and you cheer as loud as they do whenever the blue and gold team gets a point. They get kind of angry.

I remember how pissed people were about my Boston jersey in the SCF in 2011. f*** the Canucks :D

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Who here uses an Apple watch, any thoughts on it?

My wife mentions her interest in one in passing every once in a while, curious as to users feelings on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad