OT: Sens Lounge CII | End Incorrect Roman Numerals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Roads were paved for automobiles. Just because they can accommodate bicycles doesn't mean they should be there. If that's the case then ATV's, skidoos, golf carts etc. should be able to use them too.

So.....just never allow bikes on roads? Just force people to drive cars or use public transportation to get anywhere?

Dude, this is 2019. Biking is a thing. Deal with it.

Reactions: branch

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So.....just never allow bikes on roads? Just force people to drive cars or use public transportation to get anywhere?

Dude, this is 2019. Biking is a thing. Deal with it.

Refer to his other posts for his point.

I believe what he is saying is that the road was designed, i.e. paved, for cars. Simply allowing bikes onto the road was not a well thought out plan. There should be separation between bikes and cars for the bikers safety.

Take a look at these two examples.

1: Painting a bike symbol on a busy street.
sharrows-toronto.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

vs

2: A road designed with a separate lane for cyclists.
f37c5bfa-5a18-11e8-985e-0c6f33c3560c-1560x1124-780x481.jpg

Which one looks safer to you?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Refer to his other posts for his point.

I believe what he is saying is that the road was designed, i.e. paved, for cars. Simply allowing bikes onto the road was not a well thought out plan. There should be separation between bikes and cars for the bikers safety.

Take a look at these two examples.

1: Painting a bike symbol on a busy street.
sharrows-toronto.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

vs

2: A road designed with a separate lane for cyclists.
f37c5bfa-5a18-11e8-985e-0c6f33c3560c-1560x1124-780x481.jpg

Which one looks safer to you?
Thank you.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I agree with this
Stranger Things 2 review: Binge watching can't disguise how bad this is

And season 3 flails around even more so I’m finally done with it. How I keep getting talked in to watching these things I don’t know.
Netflix can be pretty crappy.
I’m gonna try the show Enlightened but that’s it for now.

Oh! Kinda glad to hear this. With all the hype I keep getting tempted to watch it. But I never even bothered with season 2 after season 1 was for me at best "OK", and mostly only because I really liked the actress who played the girl.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
“I assume they were crossing there with their bikes and they were just coming off the path and they were going to cross over and go on the other sidewalk,” he said.
Ryan said the first two rode their bicycles in front of his vehicle but were able to narrowly avoid a collision.
“The first two guys made it across in front of me, I just missed them,” he said.
Ryan hit the third cyclist.
Ryan said he doesn’t think he’s at fault.

This is extremely scary. A 79 year old driver saw 3 boys driving on the sidewalk and assumed they were crossing. At no point did he think he should slow down and narrowly misses the first two by his account. Yet doesn't think its his fault?

Regardless of who had the right of way this is terrible. You have to make eye contact in these situations.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I agree with this
Stranger Things 2 review: Binge watching can't disguise how bad this is

And season 3 flails around even more so I’m finally done with it. How I keep getting talked in to watching these things I don’t know.
Netflix can be pretty crappy.
I’m gonna try the show Enlightened but that’s it for now.

To each their own. I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, and 3 was still a fun watch for me as well. But the formula would be getting a little stale if they don't have a bit more of a unique go of things for season 4. So here's hoping.

Netflix is definitely going with more quantity than quality over the past couple years compared to when they started their original content.

Reactions: branch

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
“I assume they were crossing there with their bikes and they were just coming off the path and they were going to cross over and go on the other sidewalk,” he said.
Ryan said the first two rode their bicycles in front of his vehicle but were able to narrowly avoid a collision.
“The first two guys made it across in front of me, I just missed them,” he said.
Ryan hit the third cyclist.
Ryan said he doesn’t think he’s at fault.

This is extremely scary. A 79 year old driver saw 3 boys driving on the sidewalk and assumed they were crossing. At no point did he think he should slow down and narrowly misses the first two by his account. Yet doesn't think its his fault?

Regardless of who had the right of way this is terrible. You have to make eye contact in these situations.
The day the discussion turns from "right-of-way" to "preventing collisions" is the day we'll see a significant reduction in collisions everywhere. It doesn't matter that you're right if you're dead right.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The day the discussion turns from "right-of-way" to "preventing collisions" is the day we'll see a significant reduction in collisions everywhere. It doesn't matter that you're right if you're dead right.
Pedestrians and cyclists should be taught to yield to automobiles in every situation until clear communication can be exchange for safe passage.

Reactions: coladin

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Pedestrians and cyclists should be taught to yield to automobiles in every situation until clear communication can be exchange for safe passage.
The counter-point should also be true. In fact, that's how I was taught. ALWAYS yield the right of way until there's clear eye contact and understanding. If you're not 100% positive, don't go.

Reactions: maclean

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The counter-point should also be true. In fact, that's how I was taught. ALWAYS yield the right of way until there's clear eye contact and understanding. If you're not 100% positive, don't go.
Don't waste your breathe. You know exactly what you're dealing with here.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I enjoyed season 3. Was it perfect? No. Did it have issues? Yes. I still enjoyed it.

I think an issue a lot of shows like this face is that the 2 people behind the show run thin on ideas as they go. Season 1 they had a tonne of ideas and the show was full. As the show goes on, there is less and less added to fill the show out and they start relying on old tropes or reusing themes/ideas/gags. After a successful first season, they should bring on additional creative writers to help flush out ideas. Kind of like if one writer says "lets do X" the other writers can be like "yes! they we can do Y " "and then if we do Z it ties back into that thing that happened in episode 3 of the first season!" The story just fills out.

I dont know if I am making sense.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I really liked Season 3 of Stranger Things.

Was it as good as Season 1? No, nothing will be. Better than Season 2 though, IMO.

They tried new things, told new stories with the kids getting older. New characters were great, and added depth to older characters.

The only downside to S3 was that they wrote Hopper's character to be kind of a jerk.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I get how the storyline gets a little weak in Stranger Things but I find the acting phenomenal. I really enjoy the show.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I really liked Season 3 of Stranger Things.

Was it as good as Season 1? No, nothing will be. Better than Season 2 though, IMO.

They tried new things, told new stories with the kids getting older. New characters were great, and added depth to older characters.

The only downside to S3 was that they wrote Hopper's character to be kind of a jerk.
I enjoyed that. He's one of those guys who comes off as a jerk but is always there to help people. I also found it funny how he's always fighting those crazy Drago looking Russians.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I liked with Season 3 how they kept the gang separated and allowed them as characters to grow a bit more individually.

I do wish for a tidy wrap up to the show though, season 4 will either really suck or be super awesome... Because the setup is a bit too 80s movie tropes.

But I think that's part of the thing people need to remember about stranger things, it's not a show set in the 80s culture per se, but rather it's a show set in 80s movies culture.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That's one review. The overwhelming majority of reviews are pretty damn positive.
Yeah sure. Just sayin that’s how I was feeling and why I tuned out for good. Season 1 was very good and consistent. Season 2 and 3 have good moments some good writing some funny moments but I found them to have too much filler and I don’t have time to sit and watch people stretch things out and add tangents so they can make more episodes.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I find yielding to bicycles on a right turn is dangerous to cyclists driving on the right side. They should be paying attention to the cars signal light. This is an issue the bike lanes fail to address. Its hard enough to turn with the amount of pedestrians walking. They need to make turning signal for cars too. The corner of Bank & Laurier is a prime example. You're lucky if one car gets to turn through a light cycle. J walking doesn't help either.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I find yielding to bicycles on a right turn is dangerous to cyclists driving on the right side. They should be paying attention to the cars signal light. This is an issue the bike lanes fail to address. Its hard enough to turn with the amount of pedestrians walking. They need to make turning signal for cars too. The corner of Bank & Laurier is a prime example. You're lucky if one car gets to turn through a light cycle. J walking doesn't help either.

Funny you mention that, I drove downtown last Friday at lunch, and I sat on Bank trying to turn right onto Laurier for like 3 or 4 light cycles. It is so brutal.

I live in Kanata, and work in Kanata North, so I'm not often dealing with that sort of thing, but if I was on a daily basis I'd probably want to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad