Post-Game Talk: Sens lose again - 3 to 2 for the Isles

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
The coaching needs a change, but the new owner/president have been there for about ten minutes so the timing is going to be tough. As is changing the GM AND the coach. Presumably harder to find a coach now than in the offseason too. Even if they get a new coach it is going to take some time to teach the guys to play the "right" way. Most of them have never played under another NHL coach.

Agreed on Garrioch. He's insufferable. He isn't even entertaining or the guy you love to hate, he's the guy you see and then change the channel immediately.

Reactions: Bileur

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Roy with some excellent assistants/staff I would not mind. He would definitely bring some accountability and fire, as long as he has some guys to help him more with the x's and o's. I know that became a problem in Colorado over time, so I would definitely want it to be accounted for here.

Reactions: gab6511

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Feels like their game plan is to play hard the first few minutes to get a lead and a good start. Once that fails they have no plan B. Once they get scored on they go back to trying to play hard again but with no structure.

It's like they only come out in bursts. As someone else mentioned this is a momentum based team where they live and die off of it.
Yeah. The structure or game plan certainly
Doesn’t help these players already present inclinations. It’s. A bad mix. These players and dj are a bad mix.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
We need a hard nose coach, our players get let off the hook way to much for lazy/ soft plays.

Dj is a players coach of course the players like him they have it easy under him we need a guy like Roy or Julien to come in.

IMO either one would be a perfect fit.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Roy with some excellent assistants/staff I would not mind. He would definitely bring some accountability and fire, as long as he has some guys to help him more with the x's and o's. I know that became a problem in Colorado over time, so I would definitely want it to be accounted for here.

Roy HC, Jacques Martin assistant/consultant/advisor whatever title we want to give.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
When he comes back, he likely will get a couple of AHL games before he plays an NHL game to get in game shape.

Any word on Branny?

He could but I don't see it as likely.

I'm sure he might get asked.

Methot played an AHL game after missing time.

But then guys like Tkachuk and Norris didn't.

I believe Methot said in a podcast that within a few shifts he regretted agreeing to go down and was out of there so fast on his way back to Ottawa. The plan was to play a few games down there.

I could see him not wanting to.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has evolved quite a big since his time in Colorado. By all accounts he is very much a changed person that has evolved with the game and its young players. Quebec was not the best team on paper and absolutely destroyed its competition last year. In the spitting chicklets interview the Pierre-Cedric Labrie he goes into detail about how much Roy has changed. (by the way thats an all time interview that guys story is incredible).

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
3 straight games where we significantly outshoot the opponent, 3 straight losses.
The shot count may be high but how many of them were quality shots? How many of them were screened? Giroux scored on the PP because Brady was in front of the net. However, they didn't do this for the other PPs. It's hard to score on really good goalies if they can track the puck. I wish they'd play smarter. Stop making unnecessary passes, ensure someone is screening the goalie, if you're going to do dump and chase, make sure you win the puck battle. And last, but not least, stop being so predictable. You don't need to review a lot of tape to see how they play. Very little creativity, passing is hit and miss, mishandling the puck. The list goes on and on.

Also, 3 straight games without Zub. Same thing happened last year when he was injured. It's embarassing that missing 1 guy causes the defence to fall apart. Even Sanderson isn't looking so good without his partner Zub. We need 2 more Zub like defencemen in our line-up or getting the forwards and other D to play better defensive hockey. It's hard to believe DJ was a defenceman in the league. He only played 67 games so maybe he wasn't very good lol.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
this is actually a worse start than last year LOL
We lost Zub earlier this year. Last year, losing Norris hurt, but losing Zub really hurt. Norris is back this year but still finding his game, not as sound defensively. I expect him to get better but not being able to win without Zub in the line-up speaks volume on how they defend, how they don't make adjustments because he's not in the line-up. From what I can tell, DJ is coaching a puck possession style. All well and good if you get/keep possession, but they don't. Too many terrible passes, bumbling the puck, not winning puck battles, not supporting the D in our zone. The list goes on and on. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, we're now down at least 2 defencemen (Zub, Chabot--3 if Brannstom has a concussion). Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I understand that, but for the two years it would be entertaining. When was the last time DJ criticized one the players? DJ cuddles them to much
I remember watching the Coming in Hot podcast a couple of weeks ago where Ryan Dzingel was the guest. Torts came up in the conversation because both Ryan and Bobby had played for him. They both liked him because he was straight up with them, told them what the problem was and how to fix it. Do we really want another coddler?

Parkey Kelly is having a decent year.
Pretty sad when a 4th liner makes the cut.

Oduyanow

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2017
Ottawa ON
Buddy I am still fuming at that intermission report. Pinto is suspended 41 games the NHL said that's that and they aren't discussing it. After 41 games Shane Pinto is allowed to play in the NHL. If the Sens don't want him 31 other teams would take him with open arms. It was disgusting for Bruce to come on national TV and say Pinto needs to come crawling back for 800k. Also to tell the world that Pinto was about to sign for 2m for 2 years, I mean the kid is embarrassed already, he's the biggest NHL story being suspended, now you tell the world he was about to have 4 million but now he has nothing.

Shame on Bruce, shame on Pierre for telling Bruce what to say, shame on TSN for allowing Jaba the Garrioch on TV to say that shit.
Couldn't believe Garrioch did that. Disgusting. Is there any way/best way to contact TSN to register a complaint ?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Couldn't believe Garrioch did that. Disgusting. Is there any way/best way to contact TSN to register a complaint ?
@Sun God Nika is going to be so proud I'm not going to take the bait and make a joke here.

I'd goto the website and find the contact us if you'd like to do so or message them on social media. I just went on Bruce's Twitter to call him a scumbag.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why not try Alfredsson, if he's interested? He got named as a member of the coaching staff during the season opener. They just didn't say what coach he was.

He's been seen on the ice working with players.

Martin St Louis has done a good job in Montreal. Why not Alfie?
We’re not tanking. We can’t afford dumb risks like that.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I remember watching the Coming in Hot podcast a couple of weeks ago where Ryan Dzingel was the guest. Torts came up in the conversation because both Ryan and Bobby had played for him. They both liked him because he was straight up with them, told them what the problem was and how to fix it. Do we really want another coddler?

Pretty sad when a 4th liner makes the cut.
It's always a good thing when depth players play well regardless of how the top line guys perform

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
So Sens have to play with 5 D or send a forward down and play with 11 forwards next game correct?

Unless Zub is back.
Yesterday we were told Zub didn't travel with the team so won't be playing Saturday. So we'll be down 3 D with Brannstrom and Chabot injuries. It's possible that Chabot goes on LTIR so they'd have to cap space to call up Guenette and/or Klevin, they were both good in camp. JBD will continue being a disappointment.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Feels like their game plan is to play hard the first few minutes to get a lead and a good start. Once that fails they have no plan B. Once they get scored on they go back to trying to play hard again but with no structure.

It's like they only come out in bursts. As someone else mentioned this is a momentum based team where they live and die off of it.
Funny you should mention that. In Chychran's post-game interview after the Buffalo loss, he mentioned needing to stay on an even keel. Seems you've hit the nail on the head.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I had forgotten about that ridiculous buffoon Garrioch at the intermission.
I felt gross watching it.
It wasn’t even reporting really, it was a really awkwardly weird hatchet job on Pinto.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’ve said it before, but I don’t think Andlauer and Staios are in as much of a rush as Sens fans are.

I suspect they have their GM in mind already, and are being patient in terms of what the team is doing currently.

If they do poorly, fine, gives the new GM better picks for his fresh start. Firing everyone now and having to install interim guys that definitely aren’t going to get the job can open a whole other can of worms to deal with.

They may be fine to let the current regime one last kick at the can while they continue to build the organization around a couple of key positions that will be available shortly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The thing about Torts is he doesn't play young guys he's like Boucher. He'd come in have an impact then you'd get sick of him play Pyatt over young skilled guys and will want him out.
Didn't he break that mold when he was with Clb?

Torarella is an interesting coach, because he seems to adapt to the team he coaches more than some.

In TBay, the team motto under him was "safe is death"

With NYR, it was all about defensive and blocking anything heading towards Lundqvist, their entire gameplan was around having the best goalie in the league.

In clb he seemed to get a lot out of some younger guys like wierenski,

I'm not saying I want him here, but I do think hes an interesting coach.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Didn't he break that mold when he was with Clb?

Torarella is an interesting coach, because he seems to adapt to the team he coaches more than some.

In TBay, the team motto under him was "safe is death"

With NYR, it was all about defensive and blocking anything heading towards Lundqvist, their entire gameplan was around having the best goalie in the league.

In clb he seemed to get a lot out of some younger guys like wierenski,

I'm not saying I want him here, but I do think hes an interesting coach.
In Philly he has already done away with Frost now who was very productive for them last year I believe he was one of their most productive 5on5 player last season and he's been scratched 5 games in a row now under Torts. In fairness Farabee was injured and now has taken Frosts spot. Torts is definitely the type of guy you bring in when your team is setup and he'll get them to win for sure.

I'm not saying I don't want him obviously he has a job so we won't be getting him. I'd take him over DJ for sure I just think he'll wear out his welcome in a few years with some of the young guys, but you can probably say that about any coach really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad