Post-Game Talk: Sens lose again - 3 to 2 for the Isles

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not saying I don't want him obviously he has a job so we won't be getting him. I'd take him over DJ for sure I just think he'll wear out his welcome in a few years with some of the young guys, but you can probably say that about any coach really.
Coaches are hired to be fired... Unless you're DJ I guess...

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Coaches are hired to be fired... Unless you're DJ I guess...
So it seems. A coach gets through to the team till he doesn't. It's kind of a crap shoot with coaches some work, some don't. I can say in Ottawa our carousel of cheap non NHL experienced coaches have not worked. Our only success came from Boucher one year and one year of Maclean or did we have two good years with him? I can't remember right now.

Every coach has their faults and things the excel at. I personally think DJ has some good qualities and likely will be a good coach somewhere down the line, maybe he just needed to be an assistant longer or maybe he needed to hire himself better assistants I don't really know.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
So it seems. A coach gets through to the team till he doesn't. It's kind of a crap shoot with coaches some work, some don't. I can say in Ottawa our carousel of cheap non NHL experienced coaches have not worked. Our only success came from Boucher one year and one year of Maclean or did we have two good years with him? I can't remember right now.

Every coach has their faults and things the excel at. I personally think DJ has some good qualities and likely will be a good coach somewhere down the line, maybe he just needed to be an assistant longer or maybe he needed to hire himself better assistants I don't really know.

DJ atm is a development coach. Some coaches are really great at that! Some coaches have what it takes to get a team to the promised land.

We need the latter at this stage of the team's development. DJ did a good job of getting the team to gel. Time to find a coach to push the further

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
We’re not tanking. We can’t afford dumb risks like that.
How is it a dumb risk? Did he not play enough games at the pro level? Pep Guardiola was a secondary piece with Real Madrid and is now considered the top football coach in the world.

It's not unreasonable to assume Alfredsson came back for one reason, and it wasn't to sit beside Dorion the way Spezza sits beside Dubas.

But I'd bet all your savings that he'll have instant respect from the players, moreso than DJ Smith does now or any other temporary filler.

Besides, they'd have to replace all the assistants. They're the X's and O's people anyway.

Maybe he's not the saviour. He can't do any worse than what Ottawa has now.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I’ve said it before, but I don’t think Andlauer and Staios are in as much of a rush as Sens fans are.

I suspect they have their GM in mind already, and are being patient in terms of what the team is doing currently.

If they do poorly, fine, gives the new GM better picks for his fresh start. Firing everyone now and having to install interim guys that definitely aren’t going to get the job can open a whole other can of worms to deal with.

They may be fine to let the current regime one last kick at the can while they continue to build the organization around a couple of key positions that will be available shortly.

Andlauer and now his hand picked POHO Staios are in this for the long haul, and as you logically point out they’re in no rush to severely rock the boat as a minority of fans want them to do, as you point out.

At this time, the pickings are slim when it comes to selecting a new GM or new Head Coach…. MA and SS both know there will be a larger pool to select from in the off-season even if the Senators make the playoffs.

I suspect both MA and SS are looking at the season as their due diligence and unless there is a complete collapse on the ice and the Sens are well out of reach of a playoff spot by December, I think they ride out the season with both PD and DJS and watch how things transpire with the challenges ( some self inflicted) before them and how they either get past them, or can’t get out from under them.

I understand how every fan desires the perfect coach and GM for their team, but that is a fantasy, and is never going to happen….. some fans, a minority, desire a quick fix, instant gratification because they don’t like the current GM or Head coach…. The owner and the POHO are looking down the road, and know they will eventually replace the both of them at some point, it’s how the business of the NHL works, and quick knee jerk decisions Do not serve the long term plans well.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Thing is they’ve had 5 years to look down the road. Doesnt take Einstien to know this staff sucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad