GDT: Sens @ Leafs Wed 2nd Oct 19, 7:00: It's Sabu time!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well Chabot has a history of being a very good player for us. Much easier to give our best player a pass. The rest of em have a long history of being dumpster fires and all are the big acquisitions (besides Boro) of our GM who by some miracle still holds down a job. Just further proof to how badly he does his job. Also a bit of a heat check on some brilliant minds here that had thoughts of guys like Hainsey and Zaitsev being useful. They're only useful in their roles as absolute canon fodder. Toronto is going to be such a better team by getting rid of their 2 worst D men. We should have been able to tear up DJ Smith's contract when he showed interest in bringing these meat bags aboard.

Doesn't mean much at this point but

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It was, but it shouldn't be...change the rule to both feet beyond the line...who cares if the skate is up, dumb to think the difference of a few vertical inches has an effect on that play.
I'm a Leaf's fan and agree with this rule needs to be changed. This offside goal wasn't the difference, Ottawa played well in the first period, but that's it.

Reactions: robsenz

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah just looked at the stats from the game. Cf% Boro was 29.0, Demelo 35.5, Hainsey 16.7, Zaitsev 31.5...

Chabot 51.1. Lol. He basically pulled a Karlsson and people still wanna crucify him by incorrectly pointing to his 8M salary that kicks in in a year.

I dunno why people thought Hainsey wasnt washed. He's been for awhile. He's probably going to be statistically the worst defenseman in the entire league this year.

That Anisimov, Ennis, Batherson line got absolutely **** stomped as well.
We are a bad team:laugh:
Dorion doing what Dorion does best ... put together a bottom 3 roster with additions based on the coaches' recommendations and pump them all up like they invented the sport.

Reactions: Alex1234

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We are a bad team:laugh:
Dorion doing what Dorion does best ... put together a bottom 3 roster with additions based on the coaches' recommendations and pump them all up like they invented the sport.
The numbers I put there were all situations. Learning a new site. But they paint the exact same picture at even strength. Hainsey worst, Chabot best. Team better by leaps and bounds with Chabot on the ice. No surprises.

Most people knew Hainsey and Zaitsev were this bad but the bug concern for me now is Demelo. Looks like the clock struck midnight on this pumpkin. He's looked bad at pretty much all times on the ice since camp opened. I thought we might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd for him at the deadline but with how things are trending he's probably a 6/7th rounder.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey reference. Not new, but new to me.

That's odd... I went to Corsica and Natural Stat trick and both have Boro and Hainsey with better Corsi% than Chabot at 5v5.

Not sure what's going on here, NHL.com has different numbers than all three sites too.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
This is a team which is many years away from FYOUS, I said 5 years before FYOUS and I think I may have been generous. There is no insulation for the kids, it’s edmonton / buffalo 2.0.

I call that we make the playoffs again in 2029
2029 is being generous but I’ll hop on!!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hey remember all the people who used to say that tanking is for losers and we should be ashamed of it?

Context is completely different.

I know that there were always posters wanting us to tank circa 2014-2017 before we purged our roster. Whether I posted a response or not, I always felt that wasn't realistic. We couldn't just tank with Karlsson, Stone, Turris, etc. We'd have to commit to trading them and going on a full rebuild. (We finished low in 2018 with Karlsson but that was more circumstantial with all the BS going on)

Now that we've actually done that, suggesting a tank is realistic. There will be a huge difference in value for this franchise if we finish last place vs finishing a few spots up. There is a much greater difference in value pick by pick higher in the draft. Getting the 4th overall pick with the highest opportunity to move up to 1/2/3 is more valuable to the Senators long term than winning a few extra games and picking 7th or 8th overall where they will be less likely to get a franchise player.

If you want proof of this concept, go look at the 2016 draft and standings.

If the Leafs win 1 extra game, they are drafting 4th overall instead of 1st.
If the Leafs win 3 extra games, they are drafting 5th overall instead of 1st.

1 single extra win would have pushed them out of last place and robbed them of a franchise center.

That's why people are hoping for us to tank. We're already going to be in the basement. The marginal cost of ensuring a last place finish is much lower than it has been in the past when the cost would have included trading Karlsson and others to ensure we could tank.

Reactions: Sweatred

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
First period was fun, the rest was painful... don’t think I’ll be able to catch all 82games this year if this is a sign of things to come.

I knew they’d be bad, I just thought the effort level would be better, but as soon as they started getting badly outshot, they just stopped trying even though the game was still within reach. P

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's odd... I went to Corsica and Natural Stat trick and both have Boro and Hainsey with better Corsi% than Chabot at 5v5.

Not sure what's going on here, NHL.com has different numbers than all three sites too.

Shows how reliable advanced stats are.

Reactions: Daxi

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
First period was fun, the rest was painful... don’t think I’ll be able to catch all 82games this year if this is a sign of things to come.

I knew they’d be bad, I just thought the effort level would be better, but as soon as they started getting badly outshot, they just stopped trying even though the game was still within reach. P

I think it pains people to admit it but the leafs are one of the best teams in the league. Their D core went from being a weakness to a strength in one off season.

A full year of Muzzin, adding Barrie and Sandin is one of the best puck moving defenses in the league. Once Dermott gets back Ceci will be by far their worst d man. Thats a good problem to have. I think this leafs team challenges for the presidents trophy, I personally think they are too soft to win it all but they have the makings of an incredible regular season team.

I also think eventually the coach will start playing the better players more, they were sticking to Ennis and Anisimov last night but it will be fairly evident soon they are two of the worst players on this team and their ice time will reflect it.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
So we want the team to finish last, the roster is looking like a bottom finishing team, shocker!

this is what it looks like, nice work Sabu, BT, Bran looked pretty good, Andy was solid, the rest was meh....

can everyone here back a bottom finishing team? Or is every game going to be pages of *****ing about what people wish players and coaches could have would have should have done....

it’s been said before; we’re year 1 of a rebuild, how many in here are able to stomach that? This is what it looks like, all year.

5-3 to the leafs? That’s a good score for this team in a long season towards hopefully a top pick.

you can’t sim the season like your vids kiddos, we have another 8 months of this; better buckle up!

Totally agree, but for some reason it's tough to lose to the Leafs. Any other game, I'm all good for the losses.

I also wish the ice time was dolled out a bit differently.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Batherson and Braanstrom aren't ready based on their camp so far.

Lajoie, Jaros should be up instead.

For Batherson, I thought Abramov and Brown looked better.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This team is in for a world of hurt this year.

In a league that's built on speed and puck skills, we have none.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

I thought Brannstrom looked okay last night, and I expect him to get better. He's one of the only guys on the roster that can actually skate with the puck.

Batherson has looked terrible. Maybe Dorion is right and he's eaten too many donuts, but he's looked like the slowest player on the ice since camp. Anyone pencilling him as a future #1 RW was way premature. He's got a ton of work to do to ever get there.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Brannstrom was the best d man on the team last night followed by Chabot. But you maybe right, but that also means all 4 other D men probably dont belong in the league in anything more than a depth role.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well that went about as was expected.

There's been a lot of optimism around here lately, but it hasn't felt like it was grounded in reality and I think those expecting a competitive season are delusional. This roster is absolutely terrible and by far the worst in the league. Under 60 points this year imo.

Its a good thing though. Most important part of the season is tanking and it looks like the team is up for the task. Goalies, defense, offense & coaching all sucked last night.

Reactions: Rand0m

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just a bad period and all poster here freak lol
I mean, it’s been a lot more than a period. It’s going on it’s 3rd year.

We are going to suck this year, it shouldn’t surprise anyone, I agree.

It has nothing to do with a bad period, that’s what this team is expected to be like. This whole season will consist of about 300 more periods like that “bad period”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad