Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I am not saying use only analytics lol.
There also seems to be this idea that Dubas is a big analytics guys because a he’s young and wears glasses.

Yeah no one thinks that for those reasons, we’re not 5 year olds, and only occasionally do we act like them in here.

Analytics isn’t a young person thing, judging by all of the professional data people in here there are plenty of older folks who love their numbers. Over exuberance for data is a data person thing, which makes sense. I hear even women like data too!!

He’s known as an analytics guy because he has presented himself as an ‘analytics guy’.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I sincerely hope Pierre is not a compete idiot like Dorion and understand that you need at least 3 elite forwards, no matter the position they play, to win it all. I mean, if you understand hockey, you could see that trend was present countless times since Montreal was winning it all. Oilers with Gretzky, Kurri and Messier + all star goalie - the rest were just simple cogs. And many, many other teams. Even Ottawa was so close with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson. What else do you need it as the justification do it the same all over again. Ottawa already has countless cogs in the system, you do not need anymore depth forwards. If you smart enough you can find physical stay-at-home d-men. Sanderson is an excellent player, but you can not find 3 all star forwards through trades. It is just impossible. You can only draft them or pay dearly with your future. And if you have the opportunity to draft one with Stutzle, you just do it. I believe Pierre would never make mistakes like this.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It is a build up of poorly worded and/or poorly thought out Tweets by Shawn Simpson. He likes to think of himself as a "random guy" but he is a voice on the only sports radio station in the city, he needs to accept that his words hold merit to them.

For example last year's lead up to the draft, he kept insisting and suggesting non-stop that the Senators were likely and should be selecting Askarov. He pushed that agenda for so long and then looked like a fool when they selected Jake Sanderson (something most people thought was a high possibilty).
Man hockey fans would not survive soccer offseason. Literally new “done deals” every single hour. One guy gets a trade speculation wrong in hockey and it’s a serious deal lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There's been some confirmation that Ryan and Ek both thought it was a done deal for them to go to Vegas, hasn't there? I though I read that it was all said and done but Dorion wouldn't move of Glass instead of Suzuki so it fell through,

Sometimes you have good Intel but it just doesn't pan out, he may have had it all right pulled the trigger early, or decided not to hedge, only to see it fall apart and looks like he made it up but he may have had legit sources on that one.
I take is who cares if he was wrong. Who cares if he made it up. I want more rumors. Not less. More leaks. Not less.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The idea he’s a big analytics guy is because he’s a big analytics guy, all the way back to his entering The Soo
The guy brought in foligno summonds bogosian. I mean Simmons and bogosian have been ripped on for a few years now by the numbers. Dubas interest and willingness to go to analytics (which I think is a healthy amount, he doesn’t seem to ONLY use analytics. And the team does seem to be built analytics heavy, if it was does he give up a first round pick for nick foligno?) is not the reason they can’t get out of the first round. It’s two silly dots to connect.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Man hockey fans would not survive soccer offseason. Literally new “done deals” every single hour. One guy gets a trade speculation wrong in hockey and it’s a serious deal lol.

I don't know about you, but I tend to see "speculation" and "bullshit" as two separate things.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I sincerely hope Pierre is not a compete idiot like Dorion and understand that you need at least 3 elite forwards, no matter the position they play, to win it all. I mean, if you understand hockey, you could see that trend was present countless times since Montreal was winning it all. Oilers with Gretzky, Kurri and Messier + all star goalie - the rest were just simple cogs. And many, many other teams. Even Ottawa was so close with Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson. What else do you need it as the justification do it the same all over again. Ottawa already has countless cogs in the system, you do not need anymore depth forwards. If you smart enough you can find physical stay-at-home d-men. Sanderson is an excellent player, but you can not find 3 all star forwards through trades. It is just impossible. You can only draft them or pay dearly with your future. And if you have the opportunity to draft one with Stutzle, you just do it. I believe Pierre would never make mistakes like this.

You forgot to add an elite offensive defenseman (Coffey) and elite goaltender (Fuhr).

The supporting cast was also above average with: Anderson, Krushelnyski, Lindstrom, Lowe, Huddy.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The guy brought in foligno summonds bogosian. I mean Simmons and bogosian have been ripped on for a few years now by the numbers. Dubas interest and willingness to go to analytics (which I think is a healthy amount, he doesn’t seem to ONLY use analytics. And the team does seem to be built analytics heavy, if it was does he give up a first round pick for nick foligno?) is not the reason they can’t get out of the first round. It’s two silly dots to connect.
I didn’t say it was, I was simply saying that your thought that he’s thought of as an analytical guy is because he is young with glasses isn’t the case, it’s because he’s been known as an analytically driven guy since before he started with the Soo.

He’s thought of as an analytical guy because that’s been a gigantic part of his approach since the OHL.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You forgot to add an elite offensive defenseman (Coffey) and elite goaltender (Fuhr).

The supporting cast was also above average with: Anderson, Krushelnyski, Lindstrom, Lowe, Huddy.

And McSorely & Dave Semenko to protect Gretsky, but few want to ever mention that except that Gretsky knew it & thanked them by giving them cars from all-star games.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
In here, where fans are, we really need to accept that analytics are extremely boring, a full blown buzzkill in fact, for many people.

I personally don’t watch hockey to crunch numbers, and my eyes typically glaze over when someone wants to wow me with ‘data’ during my personal time.

The eye test, for fans, equates to watching the games and forming opinions based on what one sees. This is totally adequate for the purposes of fans talking to each other on a message board.

As for team analytics, they are a fun tool, that generally is meaningless if it’s not applied properly. The way we seem to use data seems appropriate; DJ explains how they get game data right after the game and can use that along with what they saw to evaluate how players are playing as lines, and within the systems.

Drafting a player based solely on analytics is silly, much like team’s don’t draft based solely on stats either.

I think when we see that a team ‘doesn’t rely on analytics’ it means that the don’t heavily rely on them, which doesn’t mean they don’t use them at all. We also don’t need a massive analytics team when there are professional businesses that will compile the data for you. All a team really needs is someone to manage the relationship with said company, and at least initially, help the team interpret what all of those acronyms mean (lol). These days the coaching staff, at least ours, seem competent enough to interpret the numbers they want to use.

In no way does analytics replace, or even come close to being equal to the eye test, especially when those eyes are pro coaches, players, scouts, and managers.

I think you are under-stating the value of "analytics" and over-stating the value of the "eye test by scouts, coaches and managers". Both are not infallible in predicting future behaviour and results. I suspect that using both would result in better future performance and results but I have no stats to back up that suspicion up. It would be interesting, if not entertaining, to see an unbiased study using each separately and then combining them together to determine which method works best.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There's been some confirmation that Ryan and Ek both thought it was a done deal for them to go to Vegas, hasn't there? I though I read that it was all said and done but Dorion wouldn't move of Glass instead of Suzuki so it fell through,

Sometimes you have good Intel but it just doesn't pan out, he may have had it all right pulled the trigger early, or decided not to hedge, only to see it fall apart and looks like he made it up but he may have had legit sources on that one.

Simpson is entertainment, I think he wants to be a person that is take seriously, but I don’t think the fan base takes his opinions or rumours seriously, I think they take his sense of humour seriously and enjoy him, but class clown style.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And McSorely & Dave Semenko to protect Gretsky, but few want to ever mention that except that Gretsky knew it & thanked them by giving them cars from all-star games.

Agreed. Both were important on those Edmonton teams. I envied them way back then as I was a Winnipeg Jets fan and attended many games in the old Winnipeg Arena located near Polo Park Shopping Center.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ah right, he specified Tampa so it wasn't the one with Vegas. Either way, getting it wrong doesn't mean it was completely made up, Heatley was a done deal to Edmonton until he wasn't.

Brian Murray got caught in failed trades of Comrie to Anaheim and Heatley to Edmonton - both announced with all the pieces involved and both fell apart a few hours later. The only two times I’ve seen this, and Edmonton and Murray both involved, we know who the leak is

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Agreed. Both were important on those Edmonton teams. I envied them way back then as I was a Winnipeg Jets fan and attended many games in the old Winnipeg Arena located near Polo Park Shopping Center.

Winnipeg had Tie Domi and Kris King in the Lineup, must of been fun, those guys were two of the best

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I didn’t say it was, I was simply saying that your thought that he’s thought of as an analytical guy is because he is young with glasses isn’t the case, it’s because he’s been known as an analytically driven guy since before he started with the Soo.

He’s thought of as an analytical guy because that’s been a gigantic part of his approach since the OHL.
Maybe he was. But as an NHL GM. I don’t think enough of his moves are backed by the numbers to be considered an Analytics GM. He seems like a normal run of the mill GM.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have learned through painful experience repeating what someone else told me and finding out later it was wrong. Instead of repeating it as my own words, I now say things like I have heard from a reputable source that X may be traded to Y soon. I have learned to wait for the official announcement before saying it has happened.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Winnipeg had Tie Domi and Kris King in the Lineup, must of been fun, those guys were two of the best

Yes they did. They had some physical players to protect the skilled players or cause havoc when havoc was required.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe he was. But as an NHL GM. I don’t think enough of his moves are backed by the numbers to be considered an Analytics GM. He seems like a normal run of the mill GM.
He’s been an analytical guy since he entered the league

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2714556

“The hiring of an analytics-focused 28-year-old assistant GM could signal a significant shift in thinking for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
The NHL club on Tuesday announced Kyle Dubas, a fast-rising hockey executive with a penchant for stats-based analysis, as the latest addition to the management staff. He replaces Claude Loiselle in a front-office shakeup that has also seen vice-president of hockey operations Dave Poulin leave the team.”

That’s why he’s considered an analytical GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad