Confirmed with Link: Sens hire Pierre McGuire

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not sure how I feel about this move.
Honestly, I don't mind it, might explain why he wasn't part of the roster for the new nation tv deal in the states.

He has a personality that rubs people the wrong way on TV, and can come off a dink but so long as he's not the guy making the final calls and there's a safeguard in place, he could add to the team

My biggest fear is this is Melnyk putting a guy in position to take over as GM in anticipation of firing Dorion. I'm not Dorion's biggest fan, but I don't care for Maguire as a potential replacement...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, reading the article his role appears to be telling Dorion that guys like Stepan and Gudbranson suck now... Seriously though, they wanted someone who knew all the players.

“I wanted someone that knew as many of the players as possible,” said Melnyk. “That’s one of the key elements is knowing who you’re acquiring. When I say ‘knowing them’ I mean you want to know that player’s, family, friends, who he hangs out with, who influenced him and everything possible to know you’re getting the right person.

I wonder if he'll take over some of the post trade interviews...

R2010

May 23, 2011
Great hire. Don’t like him as a broadcaster but he is certainly not a doormat and provides something Dorion badly needed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Uncle Euge said we needed a first line center … I cringe at the thought of what that would cost us.

I wonder if the Sens will draft PM’s boy ?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I really like Pierre. Probably because I never watched him on TV but very frequently listened to him on his morning radio spot.

The "Monster" stuff is just a bit he does for TV. The guy knows hockey and is actually a really relatable down-to-earth guy. JR and Steve used to toss random questions to him about any random player in the league and he would have a knowledgeable answer about the player.

I really like the hire and if I'm Dorion I'm watching out for my job. I think I'd prefer McGuire in the GM role.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can see why this workout out.

pierre Mcquire is the king of “the fans don’t understand”

Eugene Melnyck is the king of “the fans don’t understand”

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
For years he's expressed his appreciation for Colin White - who was not one of the twelve players spoken of by McGuire in Brucey's exclusive scoop (Norris was). Could have been an editorial thing, but I'm interested to see how he approaches the White situation now.

Reactions: bert

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm not à fan of this move. Pierre McGuire has been rumoured for jobs around the league for decades, and never seems to get hired.

His TV personality is knowing small trivial bits of information about many players and just repeating it at high volume. That's not information that helps you run a hockey team.

I hope I'm wrong, but, I don't think this works out well for us.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
It's been a long time since he worked in the league so not like we have lots we can point at to like or dislike the move. Whalers days were a looooong time ago.

We been asking for help for PD forever so I guess we can't be like 'well, no not him' when they finally hire someone lol.

Im open minded. Lets see what PM can bring to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad