GDT: Sens @ Habs | Pre-season finale | Sat. Sept. 28th 7PM

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The whole lot of Brown Batherson and Branstrom ,should be sent down...They havent shown anywhere near enough to crack an nhl roster...But seeing as PD and crew have assembled an AHL team they are still here....

I'm starting to lean that way, too.

Send the kids down. Get them hungry.

Feels like too many of these guys thought their names were written in ink as NHL starters this season and expected a spot instead of coming in and earning a place in the NHL.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Development would be best served if Batherson and Brown were NHL ready.

Down in Belleville

Formenton Norris Davidsson
Abramov Paul Veronneau
Kelly Chlapik Rodewald
Carcone Beaudin Klimchuk
=================
Sturtz Swarz Beauchemin Kastelic ... and others .

Pushing Batherson and Brown down there pushes Norris down Davidsson down, and so on down the line.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Development would be best served if Batherson and Brown were NHL ready.

Down in Belleville

Formenton Norris Davidsson
Abramov Paul Veronneau
Kelly Chlapik Rodewald
Carcone Beaudin Klimchuk
=================
Sturtz Swarz Beauchemin Kastelic ... and others .

Pushing Batherson and Brown down there pushes Norris down Davidsson down, and so on down the line.

true, but Mann can deploy them in equal waves perhaps. Either way I think one makes it, I just haven’t seen much from Batherson. Brown hasn’t wowed either, but then again we’re a bottom level team so I don’t think we can expect anyone to lift us up, rather just look promising at this level. Brown has had glimpses, so has Chlapik...

I dunno, how do you prepare to be a last place team? I’ll leave it to the pros...

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The point of this season is to be bad so we can draft an elite cornerstone.

Let Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom over ripen. Injuries will happen and they will get NHL games. Then sell off the vets at the deadline and there will be more playing time avail for them. I would actually like to give Abramov and Davidsson a shot to start the season. (I know Davidsson is already down)

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Abramov-Anisimov-Davidsson
Ennis-Pageau-Sabourin

Chabot-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Demelo
Boro-Jaros

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The point of this season is to be bad so we can draft an elite cornerstone.

Let Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom over ripen. Injuries will happen and they will get NHL games. Then sell off the vets at the deadline and there will be more playing time avail for them. I would actually like to give Abramov and Davidsson a shot to start the season. (I know Davidsson is already down)

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Abramov-Anisimov-Davidsson
Ennis-Pageau-Sabourin

Chabot-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Demelo
Boro-Jaros
I thought that was the point of being bad last season or did we have another point for that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
coming off a bad season and unsure of whether he’d recover to form from his injury, and a pending UFA when traded, but hey, let’s not let context get in the way of the wave....

anyways, I agree about Bath, I barely notice him compared to brown, he should he sent down. Brown has been better, Abramov has been better.

pageau.... uhg

Pacioretty was coming off a 37 pts season and was also a pending UFA when traded... Karlsson had 37 pts in his last 38 games as a sen. Not sure more context really helps explain anything. Habs just got a really solid return on Pacioretty. VGK sold low on Tatar, and gave up a damn good prospect in Suzuki.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm starting to lean that way, too.

Send the kids down. Get them hungry.

Feels like too many of these guys thought their names were written in ink as NHL starters this season and expected a spot instead of coming in and earning a place in the NHL.

Well.. they were .

It didn’t take a lot of special analysis for these guys to figure out the team sucks, they are on ELCs , and mgmt is touting their self proclaimed vaunted prospect depth.

Pretty good wind in your sails to coast onto the team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pacioretty was coming off a 37 pts season and was also a pending UFA when traded... Karlsson had 37 pts in his last 38 games as a sen. Not sure more context really helps explain anything. Habs just got a really solid return on Pacioretty. VGK sold low on Tatar, and gave up a damn good prospect in Suzuki.

yeah true, Tatar is looking good, as is Suzuki. We do have to give our first a chance, and Norris as well, but it’s looking early like MTL made a good trade, hopefully ours ripens well too...

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
With the Duclair show going on , the Dzingle return is almost the best return among EK, Stone,Duchene and Dzingle
PD could get!?!
Not completely accurate but hard to believe anyway

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
With the Duclair show going on , the Dzingle return is almost the best return among EK, Stone,Duchene and Dzingle
PD could get!?!
Not completely accurate but hard to believe anyway

This is the exact reason why it is foolish as fans to believe that a rebuild=automatic success in the future. It appears to be a common theme around the NHL where everyone thinks that blowing it up and trading everyone for picks and prospects is the right way to go, but there is a ton of risk involved in it and the Ottawa Senators are a shining example of why.

There is still time and it is not doom and gloom just yet, but we traded away a fantastic core of skill for what at this point in time appears to be a bunch of high risk peices.

If Brannstrom is the best peice from all 3 big trades Dorion made, then this rebuild is in serious trouble.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
C2D88C2C-4E7C-452F-875D-7AD6B972DA62.jpeg
We can’t be judging prospects already... it is like counting chickens before they hatch?

Suzuki < Tierney-Davidson

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is the exact reason why it is foolish as fans to believe that a rebuild=automatic success in the future. It appears to be a common theme around the NHL where everyone thinks that blowing it up and trading everyone for picks and prospects is the right way to go, but there is a ton of risk involved in it and the Ottawa Senators are a shining example of why.

There is still time and it is not doom and gloom just yet, but we traded away a fantastic core of skill for what at this point in time appears to be a bunch of high risk peices.

If Brannstrom is the best peice from all 3 big trades Dorion made, then this rebuild is in serious trouble.
Well said.

We need to get lucky the next couple of drafts.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Maybe not but they were still a little underwhelming imo. I want to see them break the door down and own a spot .. nobody did that.
I found the prospects stood out more last year than this year. Lajoie had a great camp. Chlapik had a very good camp. Abramov had a very good camp this year but unfortunately was hurt and ran out of runway to make a bigger impression in games. I think Batherson was handed quite a bit and he did not run with it, where as Brown was put in a tougher spot and often not in position to show his best traits. If Batherson was in a competition he would have lost it. Balcers is not at the same level as Brown and Batherson. We are not looking at Brown and Batherson as 3rd liners whereas .. that's a good spot for Balcers. Paul had a chance and did not prove he belonged. Norris and Formenton were cut early. Formenton can be very impressive as well. Like Duclair his speed is game breaking. He usually stands out, but he needs time to polish his game. Davidsson was pretty invisible. Overall very disappointing year for the prospects to show their stuff imo.

Unfortunately it’s not possible for ever single prospect to make the NHL. Half these guys will probably not make it, more then half realistically.
Four more years!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Batherson is more than ready. He needs to find more consistency than he has shown in the preseason but that I feel that's something he needs to learn at the NHL level. I dont feel like going to Belleville will be at all beneficial for him, he is simply too smart for that level. I don't want to say it would be too easy for him but there's not a lot more that he can do there. He needs to get comfortable with the NHL pace and that's not going to happen in the AHL.

As for Brown, there are things he can work on in the AHL. He has made some poor decisions and reads. I would like to see him stay in Ottawa because as far as talent goes this is where he belongs. It really depends on how forgiving the coaching staff is going to be with mistakes and what kind of opportunity he can be given.

Brannstrom failed to stand out offensively or even as a puck mover. I did like his work defensively but he didn't play his game. I do think he needs some work offensively, it might be best he ends up in Belleville now or even in a couple weeks. Maybe given him a bit of an extended look and if it doesn't look like he is progressing send him back.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I think it's pretty foolish to come to conclusion on players in a span of a couple games in September.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Kind of a weird camp for Brannstrom, actually. If you didn't know who he was and the pre-season were the only time you had seen him play, do you think you'd have identified him as a player that people have pegged as a future point producer at the NHL level? I'm not so sure. That sort of skill set wasn't really on display - he didn't join the rush much, he didn't get a lot of shots through, he didn't look super creative. He defended a little better than I expected. I have some concerns about his ability to avoid contact from forecheckers. We'll see what happens when the games matter.

Ultimately I think it's the promise of offense that will keep Brannstrom around to start the year. If you send him down, can you really run Zaitsev, Hainsey, DeMelo, Borowiecki, Jaros and Goloubef as your two-through-seven defensemen? That is spectacularly unskilled, even on a team that any rational person expects to be the worst in the NHL.

So I think Jaros goes to Belleville. With Zaitsev, Borowiecki, Hainsey and to a lesser extent DeMelo, we have a lot of players on the roster who duplicate what Jaros does.

If the Sens are starting with 13 forwards then that means one of Chlapik, Abramov and Brown will start in the spot that Balcers seemed to have locked up. Brown is not a fit in a bottom-six wing spot and Abramov needs to go down and hopefully produce some points as a pro. Chlapik doesn't have a ton of upside so you needn't worry about squandering his potential by using him for 7 or 8 minutes a night.

A few thoughts on Pageau - obviously a difficult camp for the guy, capped off by a pretty ugly sequence on the OT winner tonight. It'll be interesting to see where his minutes end up this season. He started camp by getting a chance to center Duclair and Batherson in a scoring role which didn't work out at all, and he even appears to be losing PK minutes to Tierney and Anisimov. An achilles injury can be really tough for a guy whose effectiveness was driven primarily by being hard on the puck rather than by skill or smarts.

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin and DrEasy

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Sens are absolutely terrible at drafting now. They've found some late round gems, sure, but they consistently strike out in the 1st round. It's unacceptable. They never go for pure skill. That's why we are stuck with the average prospect pool that we have. And don't even get me started on our pro scouting.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I think some of these guys might be scared of injuring themselves pre-season. Once the regular games get going perhaps everyone gets a little more jam in their game.

Edit: Just, to me, that would screw up my mental state getting hurt in a meaningless game before my career had a chance to start; maybe a superstition thing. If you are a veteran you have comfort and security (money), even bobby was killing it last night.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Sens are absolutely terrible at drafting now. They've found some late round gems, sure, but they consistently strike out in the 1st round. It's unacceptable. They never go for pure skill. That's why we are stuck with the average prospect pool that we have. And don't even get me started on our pro scouting.

2015 1st round Chabot, White 2nd round chlapik, gagne (miss)

2016 1st round Brown 2nd Dahlen 5th Lajoie 6th Nurmi

29017 1st round Bowers 2nd Formenton 4th Batherson, out of 4 total picks that year

2018 1st round Tkachuk, Bernard-Docker 2nd tychonik 4th Gruden 5th Crookshank 6th Mandolese 7th Novak 7th Loheit

2019 1st Thomson 2nd Pinto, etc. (many picks plus many picks 2020, young hopefully will pan out)

With respect to these last 5 years of drafting we have a pretty solid record of not only drafting well in the first round but also in the late rounds, the proof is in the pudding. Read the names and then look how much we already starting to pay them (Chabot, White).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad