Rumor: Sens don't qualify Anthony Duclair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I was not aware of the back story of the Sens making him an offer adn wanted him back .
I assumed that the Sens just decided to have him walk , which made me question if Duclair was worth the risk of signing ( if a team that finished near the bottom of the league didn't want him , why should my team ? )
However , if its a case of Duclair holding out for a unreasonable contract , then Id be interested in him still as a Devils fan .
If he will lower his demands / contract that makes sense for the Devils and the player.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
One of the streakiest players there is he scored 21 goals in 37 games, 46 goal pace which is really good then went without a goal for 21 games 24 if you don't count the empty net in a 7-4 win against Buffalo.

He will score 8 goals in a 5 games then not score for 5 games or more, with that on top of his history no way he should get even close to 5mil i think at this point he will be lucky to get 4 and will probably have to take a 1 or 2 year contract in the 3.5mil range to prove himself.
Sounds like Michael Ryder. He would be 5M in normal times, but you are probably right that 3.5 on show me deal might the the best he can get right now

Reactions: Yak

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Doubt Duclair would sign with Boston even if they make an offer. When that team is healthy there's no guarantees he's going to get any ice time, let alone play in the top 6.
I think it would be his spot to lose. Boston desperately need a 25-30 goal scorer to play with DK. They have needed one for 7 years and it has likely cost them two cups.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If you were a gm today and you were like aw shucks we missed out on Hoffman, would you sign Duclair to 5x5?
No

Guy has some attitude issues or potential attitude issues.

I'd sign the guy for 2 years at like 3.5 or 4 million as a prove it contract do it again.

5x5 is too big of a risk. He's a scorer and look at his goal totals. Hitting 20 twice and there was a big gap. That's also getting premier top minutes on a poor senators team (cheering you guys on)

Not everyone is as fortunate as Josh Anderson. Still a huge question mark however I can see the reasoning and potential of why it happened. (Still think that was bad)

If I'm a GM I ain't signing Duclair anyways.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He messed up by not taking Ottawa's original offer

If he were smart, he’d realize it’s not all about money. Part of it is finding a team where you fit in and can have success on. He found that in Ottawa, got a very fair offer, and thought he could do better. If he gets a bigger deal, good on him, but he may regret turning down Ottawa’s offer.

Reactions: lawrence and _Del_

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I mean, good on Duclair for believing in himself but in this economic climate he should have taken the guaranteed deal. He's young enough where he could have still cashed in on another deal beyond that. Instead he's going to be in scramble mode.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reminds me of Curtis Glencross.
Declined multi-year deal out of Calgary, got traded to Washington, was a dumpster fire there and out of the league the next year.

Yup, loved Glencross, but idiot was probably our second or third best forward and had all the opportunities in the world, and as it turns out, its easy to fizzle out on a team that's actually good enough to not need you.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
If you were a gm today and you were like aw shucks we missed out on Hoffman, would you sign Duclair to 5x5?

giphy.gif

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Duclair screwed up. Someone will pay him eventually but nothing close to what he would have got from Ottawa pre-UFA status.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
The biggest mistake wasn't even refusing Ottawa's offer but it was to go into UFA this very unorthodox offseason with no agent. He couldn't have chosen a worse time to not get the advice and advocacy of a professional.

I wonder how many GM's are willing to take a FaceTime call from a middle six player who seems to have unreasonable expectations vouching for himself? I guess he assumed teams would be fighting over him? Again, something an agent could have given him some feedback on before refusing the offer. While under contract, a player can't be in contact with other teams, but a good agent IS always in contact with multiple teams, he knows what the market is saying and agent will often have established relationships with various GM's greatly facilitating actual negotiations.

Duclair definitely mis-read the situation, Sens needed to reach the cap floor, so they were happy with Duclair at what to me seemed like a very reasonable contract. I guess, ironically, this is kind of another red flag for Duclair if I were a GM.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
another guy expecting Alex Tuch money or Kevin Labanc money , my gosh, he might have played himself out and with a potential up and coming team like Ottawa might have made a bad move here. I believe he was made a generous and fair offer, given the fact he was a top 6 player on a very bad team which means he might not have been given top 6 minutes on 20 other nhl teams which means he might not even have hit 23 goals, lots of stars coming up for Ottawa, so it's a team on the rise, why wouldn't you want to be a part of it? best of luck to him. One dimensional player, and yes, Anthony teams have their scouting reports. You're a one dimensional winger. good luck finding good contract.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
If the Ottawa rumours of 4.25X3 are true wtf was he thinking turning it down. Also if those were the number offered, why not qualify him? I doubt he’d get much more in arbitration. All around wtf here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad