Rumor: Sens don't qualify Anthony Duclair

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
He wants term. We wants to get paid long term for his 23 goals this season. I'm not gonna say he isnt worth it but even in this great season he was inconsistent. I thought he fit in this team really well. I hoped to see him for another two years. I wish him well. It would be crazy if him and Hoffman ended up on the same team, pumping out goals.

Thats the bad thing about Sens having so much cap. It makes this league wide low value due to cap not going up a non factor in Ottawa. The RFAs see how much money they have and want a typical deal rather than accepting less.

Sens have a chance here to become a great team again with all of the prospects they had and added in this draft. Along with a few top young players already on the team.

But another big factor that most will over look is Matt Murray. I truly believe he gets back to where he was during those cup runs. Sens will have their franchise goalie for rest of this decade. Few reasons why....

Murray didnt come out of nowhere, he had a solid pedigree and was taken in 3rd round. He then went on to break records in the AHL....in 40 games he had a .940 % with under 2g against a game. Was by far best goalie that year for WBS . He then goes on to win those b2b cups . And wasnt just along for the ride but we dont win those cups without him. The first Caps series, Washington had no idea how to beat him.. We went up 3-1 and then won in 6. ECF against Tampa and Bishop/Vasilevsky. Bishop gets hurt game 1...we end up losing that game. We go onto win the next two. They win next two to go up 3-2. Which btw when it was tied 2-2 we went to Fleury and lost. Games 6 and 7 Murray dominates....we win 2-1 and then 3-1. Onto the finals against the hottest team in playoffs with the Sharks. Murray stopped them from scoring those first few games giving us that important 2-0 lead. We go up 3-1...lose game 5...then he again holds his opponent to 1 goal in a series(this time the cup) clinching game.

The next year. Murray gets hurt. Fleury wins round 1 and 2. But then came the Sens in the ECF. I guarantee we lose that if not for Murray. We lost game 1. Won game 2. Then Fleury lost game 3 and Murray took over. Went on to win the next two games. Giving us 3-2 lead. Sens tied it up. Then we all know what happened in game 7. Could have went either way but Murray did what he had to do to allow us to score in double OT and get to the cup.

Again facing another hot team in the Preds. I think we were underdogs for that too. Murray blew lead in game 1 but was great in game 2 to give us 2-0 lead. Like the Sharks series...he was good at preventing the star players from scoring. Nothing from Johanson and Forsberg. We lose the next two at Preds. Game 5 at home he only lets in 1 goal. And game 6 to win it all...a shutout.

Now, anyone can say yeah but look at last few years. Well plenty of goalies go thru these growing pains. Murray was just held to a much higher standard because of what he did to win those 2 cups at such a young age. His father then died. Our team lost a ton of players, JR kept playing musical chairs to try to copy those lineups we had for the cups. At the same time Sullivan's system didnt have the same impact. He didnt like Kessel. We had other issues. Whole team struggled. Not just Murray. But anyway now he is 26 years old ...out of Pitt and can be himself again. I think , like When Fleury left for Vegas.. ..you are getting a much better goalie than what Murray showed the last 3 years.

Absolute steal for a 2nd rounder.

Long post but just wanted to post in detail why I believe its pretty obvious that Murray will turn things around again. Btw he didnt even have the down years that Markstrom had at same age. Marks had 3 years of sub ..900% before turning things around at the same age...26.

I have no doubt Murray will as well. Prob is we had to keep Jarry over him. I reeally hope Jarry doesnt fall apart now that he is the #1 and pressure is on him. But we will see.

Ill end it with Sens got a great goalie and tons of teams(Oilers and Flames as usual) are going to regret not adding him. Especially since they are contenders. Sens arent at the moment. Which actually will let Murray ease his way in slowly anyway instead of the pressure to win right away

Reactions: HzH

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why would Ottawa not qualify him then? The walkaway amount for an RFA is 450 so they could've forced him into taking a cheaper deal or simply walked away.

Duclair showed his hand here. I guess the Sens decided to move on (Dadonov signing?). Duclair gets the Darwin award on this one though. What a moron.

Last edited:

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Why would Ottawa not qualify him then? The walkaway amount for an RFA is 450 so they could've forced him into taking a cheaper deal or simply walked away.

Maybe it's just a case of Dorion being too nice to players, and giving him the option to go to market as a UFA

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
With Josh Anderson making 5.5 , Alex Tuch making 4.7, there is no doubt in my mind players in that age group such as Duclaire, Jake Debrusk, and probably Jake Virtanen looking in that range for a salary and I don't fault these guys one bit for it. My gosh, Josh Anderson literally screwed up the market value for that type of player.

Duclair, Debrusk or Virtanen are not like Anderson though.

In fact, there's only one Josh Anderson in the league. Can't teach size and he's not afraid to use it. Combine that with speed and scoring ability and he got paid for that unique (in todays league) package. Bergevin knew if he goes to FA there's going to be half a dozen teams willing to overpay and when there's a ton of competition for a player in FA, Montreal usually loses.

Players can use him as a comparable as much as they want but they're not getting that money just because they put up similar numbers.

Im not saying i agree with the contract or that Anderson is sooo great, but GM's love players like him, and always will.

Reactions: AnimalFear and Boud

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
He had 23 goals in 66 games last year. How is he not worth 5x5 or something to that effect?

I know he’s bounced around, but he’s had big production before in the NHL and was a beast in the Q. I see a lot of guys his age getting bigger deals that have done much less.

Is he a bad teammate? What’s the deal here

One of the streakiest players there is he scored 21 goals in 37 games, 46 goal pace which is really good then went without a goal for 21 games 24 if you don't count the empty net in a 7-4 win against Buffalo.

He will score 8 goals in a 5 games then not score for 5 games or more, with that on top of his history no way he should get even close to 5mil i think at this point he will be lucky to get 4 and will probably have to take a 1 or 2 year contract in the 3.5mil range to prove himself.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I wonder if they didn't give him a QO because they wanted to try to tie him up for more than the 1 year they could get in arbitration. Duclair may have mis-read the room and figured he would get a bigger deal with term from FA or worst case he takes a 1 year deal, has another great year (to quiet the doubters) and then cashes in. Ottawa did sign Dadonov for 3 years so we could have been looking for a longer term commitment.

Reactions: qqaz

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He wants term. We wants to get paid long term for his 23 goals this season. I'm not gonna say he isnt worth it but even in this great season he was inconsistent. I thought he fit in this team really well. I hoped to see him for another two years. I wish him well. It would be crazy if him and Hoffman ended up on the same team, pumping out goals.

Duclair is such a gamble at this point and that's why term is an issue.

If im discussing Duclair with my staff these questions would come up:

1) He has 2 top 6 worthy seasons in 5 years in the league, why would he be able to do it every year with us?

2) - both of which were on non-playoff teams that had no realistic shot to make the playoffs. On serious teams he couldn't win neither Torts or coach Q over, so what were the reasons and why would things be different with us?

3) Does he have the character we're looking for? (turning down 13M and chasing money at this point in his career doesn't sound good given he hasn't done much in the grand scheme of things)

After doing all research and hearing everyones opinions i doubt any staff comes into the conclusion that yes this is the guy we want to commit to.

Add covid into the mix and yeah, Duclair f***ed up.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He picked the wrong year to play hardball but at 25 he'll have more opportunities to push for a long term deal. I'd like to see the Kings pick him up.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Turned down 12.75 for 3 years wow, i would be shock if he made 50% of that in the next 3 seasons

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This is why Duclair should have gotten an agent.

He's saving agent fees but doesn't know how to negotiate.

His agent probably tried to tell him he's not worth as much as he thinks he is and Duclair tried the ol' "I'll show him" routine.

The way things are going, he's going to be lucky to get a multi-year deal.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He was an idiot to make a gamble like this during a pandemic where not a lot of teams are willing to spend money.

Maybe if he was more proven he would get the contract he likes, but he is still an uncertainty. He played good during parts of last season, but he also disappeared a lot.

Should have taken that 3 year deal and hope that the financial landscape improves within the next 3 years.

Reactions: Beville

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think people are being overly critical of the agent thing.

We don't know the offers. In a tight market where he is getting the same 5 offers from 5 teams, saving that extra 5-10% can be huge.

That could be over a million dollars he saves.

that said, it still might be stupid, but we'll have to wait and see.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Does anyone know when Ottawa offered the three-year contract, i.e. before Covid or after? If Duclair turned it down prior to March, it is understandable. If he turned it down after that, then keep in mind the old saying that the hockey player who acts as his own agent has a fool for a client.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Probably because the three year deal was structured with less cash in year 1. Even Dadonov's contract for 3 years at 5 Million AAV has him only getting paid 3.5m in year 1.

I think they just didn't want to risk having to pay him the 4+million in cash in the upcoming year that he would've been granted on a one year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad