Confirmed with Link: Sens Dismiss MacLean, Cameron named full-time replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Don't get it.

You don't have to know about every possible deal to know that any possible deal would probably entail giving up some young pieces we don't want to give up yet. We're just not that deep to be able to pay the steep prices for a significant upgrade, especially when a crappy lateral move like Stewart is priced into the stratosphere.

FA hash is made through finding value more than anything. See: MacArthur, Clarke. You want a big splash? We have rarely made a big splash even while our window was open.

We lost two major core players due to the budget.
There's also others that we may have wanted but weren't interested in us due to the optics of the budget - that's hard to quantify. I still say we re-signed Michalek at the price we did solely to meet the cap floor in case nothing else happened.

Stastny, Boyle, Stralman, Hemsky, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Vrbata all were free agents who changed teams this offseason that may have been interested in us if we were interested in icing a competitive team, never mind those who were available last off-season and possibly scared off due to the optics of Alfie leaving.

This isn't a budget thread though, so I'll drop this line of conversation at this point.

As far as Cameron goes. I can only hope it's temporary but we get an interesting run out of him.

And regarding Mac changing - well he even admitted it in his exit interviews last season, but was supposed to have swung back closer to his original message for this season. Maybe that didn't happen enough.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
There's also others that we may have wanted but weren't interested in us due to the optics of the budget - that's hard to quantify. I still say we re-signed Michalek at the price we did solely to meet the cap floor in case nothing else happened.

Stastny, Boyle, Stralman, Hemsky, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Vrbata all were free agents who changed teams this offseason that may have been interested in us if we were interested in icing a competitive team, never mind those who were available last off-season and possibly scared off due to the optics of Alfie leaving.

This isn't a budget thread though, so I'll drop this line of conversation at this point.

As far as Cameron goes. I can only hope it's temporary but we get an interesting run out of him.

And regarding Mac changing - well he even admitted it in his exit interviews last season, but was supposed to have swung back closer to his original message for this season. Maybe that didn't happen enough.
And don't forget the brilliant "loyalty" contract to Phillips

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Look farther than the big numbers. He has blown it in every big game he has coached. He got run out of Bingo on a rail. He blew a five goal lead in the WJC...and we have a team that has trouble with defence.

He's basically Melnyk's guy and that's why he is there. Nothing more and nothing less.
It was a 3 goal lead and since that game 4 years ago Team Canada never even made it to Final :dunno:

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010

We got a huge FA signing in Legwand.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

This remains conjecture.

Stastny, Boyle, Stralman, Hemsky, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Vrbata...

Never been our style and most were set on other locales from the jump (Erhoff to a contender, Hemsky trailing Spezz, Stralman for a substantially larger role and chunk of change, Stastny to the highest bidder, Boyle to a contender). Optics didn't scare Ryan, didn't scare MacArthur. So much is made of this that just seems entirely made up.

OK.

Yeah, can't see this lasting very long. Players feeling they have no support was cited again today by Murray, saying the issues persist. I really want to hear MacLean's side.

.......^

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Anyone know anything about Cameron's coaching style from previous gigs?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I really want to hear MacLean's side.

Maclean doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will tell tales out of turn.

He'll probably say the usual scripted stuff, and not scorch the earth on his way out because "burning bridges on your way out" is a good way to make it harder to find your next job in the NHL. I doubt he says anything we aren't expecting out of a guy who just got let go, and wants to catch on elsewhere sooner than later.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Team will get the standard bump in motivation under a new coach. Cue mini streak as players look to re-prove themselves. It'll fade by the February and we'll know what we've really got in Cameron.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He was holding players accountable for lousy play and the stars didnt like it....Honestly I dunno thats what I got...I thinks its just a scapegoat situation.

So hes basically the perfect coach for the Oilers?

Yeah I guess zero chance of him here.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm waking up to this??? After that great win last night????

Cameron is pure ****ing garbage.

Stupidest decision this team has made in a decade.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I remember when everyone was calling for Alfredsson's head, calling for him to be traded, because he supposedly played like Karlsson. Karlssson, who you apparently believe is enigmatic?

Karlsson is the reason this team is even competitive at all, night in and night out. He gets stuffed beside Phillips, who you believe is a plug and you expect him to cover for that I suppose? He gets put beside Cowen, who started the season off slow and he has to cover for that too.

Karlsson is not infallible. He has a lot to work on... hopefully he will come back into Norris form. But he certainly is as competitive as Alfredsson and any player we've had on this team. When the game comes down to the crunch, I have seen Karlsson put the team on his shoulders and tie it up, or do something spectacular far more than our last supposed captain Spezza. Karlsson is a lot like Alfredsson.

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. You like in 2005/2006? Before Karlsson was even around people were comparing him to Karlsson?

Karlsson being the only reason this team is competitive has nothing to do with his effort level. I said he has the potential to be the greatest sen ever. He has more skill than Alfie, probably on par with any of the sens greats.

This is a fantastic post, no way shape or forum is Ek as competitive as alfie. But really who is? There are only a handful of people that are. I think Ek is competitive but was not the right choice for captain, not yet.

LOL at 'inmates really are running the asylum.'

Thanks.

Look I'm not denying Maclean lost the room. I'm just debating WHY he lost the room.

IMO he lost the room when Alfie left. Alfie kept a lot of players accountable. It's easy to coach when you've got a guy like Alfie in the locker room.

People keep saying 'Paul changed', what really changed was Alfie left and the rest of the team decided they didn't give a **** anymore.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Didn't the Oilers at one point try an experiment with like 3 head coaches at once?

Wiki says this is their list:
Craig MacTavish, 2000–09
Pat Quinn, 2009–10
Tom Renney, 2010–12
Ralph Krueger, 2012–13
Dallas Eakins, 2013–present

This is ours:
Bryan Murray, 2005-2008
John Paddock, 2007-2008
Craig Hartsburg, 2008-2009
Cory Clouston,2009-2011
Paul MacLean, 2011-2014
Dave Cameron, 2014-present

If you count coaching changes, than it adds another one as Murray came back after firing.

Coaching changes since 2007:
1) Murray>paddock
2)paddock>Murray
3) Murray>hartsburgh
4)hartsburgh>clouston
5)clouston>maclean
6)MacLean>Cameron

That's way too many for a gm. Even if he has cancer they should really push for him to retire/step down and take a consulting job so he can spend more time with his family.

Promote our AGMs to GM on an interim until the offseason or find a permanent one now.

This is too much.

Is it a record for number of coaching changes in the NHL under one gm? It has to be.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Maclean doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will tell tales out of turn.

He'll probably say the usual scripted stuff, and not scorch the earth on his way out because "burning bridges on your way out" is a good way to make it harder to find your next job in the NHL. I doubt he says anything we aren't expecting out of a guy who just got let go, and wants to catch on elsewhere sooner than later.

I know this but but it doesn't make me want to hear the unexpurgated side any less.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
If you count coaching changes, than it adds another one as Murray came back after firing.

Coaching changes since 2007:
1) Murray>paddock
2)paddock>Murray
3) Murray>hartsburgh
4)hartsburgh>clouston
5)clouston>maclean
6)MacLean>Cameron

That's way too many for a gm. Even if he has cancer they should really push for him to retire/step down and take a consulting job so he can spend more time with his family.

Promote our AGMs to GM on an interim until the offseason or find a permanent one now.

This is too much.

Is it a record for number of coaching changes in the NHL under one gm? It has to be.

i think at this point EM is pulling the strings here. maybe i misread what he said but I'm certain he said he wasn't happy about firing the coach and took that as is wasn't his idea.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I wonder what lineup changes Cameron makes spurred by Murray?

Put in Michalek/Greening on big contracts so that Murray doesn't look bad?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No way in hell Stralman would choose Ottawa over elite team like Tampa unless Murray gives him Karlsson's money.
Something tells me Vrbata would prefer playing with Sedins too.

We need good players to attract good players.
We need to spend money to attract good players.

Were stuck in a vicious circle.

If we can't spend until we have good players, but can't get good players until we spend. Throw in the x factor that we dont ever draft high...how do we become a good team?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No way in hell Stralman would choose Ottawa over elite team like Tampa unless Murray gives him Karlsson's money.
Something tells me Vrbata would prefer playing with Sedins too.

You don't think Stralman would sign if we gave him 5.5 over the same term?

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. You like in 2005/2006? Before Karlsson was even around people were comparing him to Karlsson?

Karlsson being the only reason this team is competitive has nothing to do with his effort level. I said he has the potential to be the greatest sen ever. He has more skill than Alfie, probably on par with any of the sens greats.

Thanks.

Look I'm not denying Maclean lost the room. I'm just debating WHY he lost the room.

IMO he lost the room when Alfie left. Alfie kept a lot of players accountable. It's easy to coach when you've got a guy like Alfie in the locker room.

People keep saying 'Paul changed', what really changed was Alfie left and the rest of the team decided they didn't give a **** anymore.

MacLean was not the coach of seasons yore. He went from being a coach that wasn't afraid to lose anything to a coach who was afraid to lose everything.

I am saying that these fans were calling for the trade of Alfredsson and saying he was useless, etc etc etc. That the team needed a new captain... right up until 2006. I listened to team 1200 every night there was a game for a very long time because it wasn't the ERA of streamed games. I heard fans say that Alfredsson did not care, that he did not play well enough to get us over the top.

It sounds a lot like the way some fans talk about Karlsson now. It is exactly why I get up in arms.

Yeah Phillips is declining and so is Neil, and people like you call them plugs. Are you even old enough to realize what these players are to this team? We already lost our longest standing Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad