Confirmed with Link: Sens Dismiss MacLean, Cameron named full-time replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why do you doubt that? All 4 lines play the exact same style. All players are trying saucer passes through the middle. There weren't any defined roles.

I think the grinders were trying to play like spezza because they wanted to(its more fun) not because the coach was telling them that.

I highly doubt Neil,smith,greening, etc were asked to score 20 goals each...then again Neil is always put on the pp and when down by 1...so who knows.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
As much as I think that Cameron is absolutely the wrong guy, I fully anticipate this team going on a bit of a winning tilt due to:
a) to "excitement over new coach", and
b) changing up their style mid season ("Playing loose"), before teams have a chance to adjust

... and there are going to be a number of fans who will falsely attribute that to Cameron, and we'll have a very divided fanbase based on the pro-Cameron guys ("but he did so well in his first 15 games!") and the anti-Cameron guys ("those 15 games were endorphins and adrenaline of a coaching change!")

Hopefully both sides will agree that we won't truly be able to judge this move until as early as the end of next season. I have no clue what to expect of Dave Cameron but I don't think Paul Maclean was the right coach for the Sens.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
It's too bad he didn't lose Phillips on a road trip somewhere...

Glad that Gramps Murray is more concerned with the players being coddled, and held and told their tushies are the specialest.

And some people wanted Torts here? The country club would never allow it.

He's mean Bryan, he makes us work hard and practice and block shots and those hurt!

We love Coach Cameron, he just let's us skate and be free and do whatever we want. Yesterday, he let us have ice cream for dinner!

Haha you win the thread. Torts would hold people accountable....we cant have that here.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's too bad he didn't lose Phillips on a road trip somewhere...

Glad that Gramps Murray is more concerned with the players being coddled, and held and told their tushies are the specialest.

And some people wanted Torts here? The country club would never allow it.

He's mean Bryan, he makes us work hard and practice and block shots and those hurt!

We love Coach Cameron, he just let's us skate and be free and do whatever we want. Yesterday, he let us have ice cream for dinner!

I lol'ed.

To be fair, Bryan was a kickass coach (ya he had the horses, but some were still those country club players and he got them to work).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Actually yes, it did. Read up a ways.

Phillips losing the "fans" is irrelevant. All that matters is that locker room, and if the alternate captain publicly says Mac lost them, that's the way it is.

I don't read that as "publicly bashing". sorry.

and I would hope the locker room doesn't listen to phillips. that could be the whole problem

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Phillips pretty much confirmed on the radio that MacLean lost them.

You are wrong. They played part of the clip from Phillips on OTR. When Michael repeats what Murray said about Maclean changing his style of coaching, Phillips says that he might have grown a bit more demanding but doesn't seem convinced. He also seems shocked and saddened.

Ian Mendes who has assumed the role of chief spin doctor for Sens management said that he thought Phillips was reluctant to say more as he didn't want to criticize his old coach but if sounds a lot more like he doesn't want to contradict his GM.

Anyway here is the interview that the clip is taken from .Judge for yourself

http://www.tsn.ca/video/otr-phillips-discusses-maclean-firing-1.155006

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Any so called leader who says the coach lost "them" (read that as him) should turn in his letter. I wouldn't want him representing the players if I'm the new coach.

The above so far is just a general comment and not pointed at any player in particular. After hearing Phillips comments on OTR he said nothing about the coach losing the room during his OTR interview.

Last edited:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
BM quoted this in his presser, so apparently it was not so harmless. However, I think it was also brought up that the decision to fire PMac was made on Friday while this quote was from Saturday, so who knows.

I thought so too but during the presser Murray said they met on Friday and the final decision was made this morning.

Buh. I really don't know anymore.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Oilers fan here. Can someone please give me the gist of why he was let go?

I'd like to think him or Bylsma would get hired here but apparently Eakins has a job for life.

A guy can dream.
for murray, it was poor defensive structure and losing the room

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
For the record by the way, I don't think Murray had anything to do with Cameron's promotion. Cameron is the antithesis of what Murray likes in a coach.

Congrats, Melnyk - you finally got your guy.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I come in peace.....don't understand this at all ..four points out of playoffs , competitive team that comes to play most nights , not a playoff roster and couple that with some bad signings and an owner who won't spend any money ...Really what was expected of this guy.

They expected him to be "Moses" and lead the team to the promised land (playoffs)! :)

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Glad the coach got fired because he clearly lost it this year. He was so good his first few seasons and not sure why he changed. Yes the roster is different but he wouldn't have put Greening, Smith and Neil out in a shootout. I think that's the game when I'd have enough of him.

On the other hand. Don't know much about Cameron but already expecting disappointments from the comments here. I'll give him 15-20 games and if we're losing hopefully RSU chants "Fire Cameron" and "Cheap Ass Melnyk"

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
For the record by the way, I don't think Murray had anything to do with Cameron's promotion. Cameron is the antithesis of what Murray likes in a coach.

Congrats, Melnyk - you finally got your guy.
No he said in the presser that Richardson was asked and said no
Luke was Murray s choice, Cameron was was Menlyks.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Is Dave Cameron the guy in charge of the defense? Because they give up more shots per game than the Sabres lol

sup Connor

Shots against are not caused exclusively by the Defencemen playing poorly. All players on the ice including the forwards have defensive responsibilities when the other team controls the puck.

Havind said that, the entire coaching staff is responsible for the team play strategy and tactics, so Maclean is not the sole problem here. As others have stated, the 3 Ms share the blames for the poor results.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
So once again, Murray says he didn't like the system, yet Cameron takes over as non-interim coach, the guy who helped with the system we currently have.....does not compute.

Anyway, has Maclean spoke yet?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the intel. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sens games but from some of the feedback here, MacLean has his warts. But he only sounds like 20% of the problem. The rest is obviously with management.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the intel. Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sens games but from some of the feedback here, MacLean has his warts. But he only sounds like 20% of the problem. The rest is obviously with ownership.

Small correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad