RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 2m2 minutes ago
Breaking: The Ottawa Senators have dismissed head coach Paul MacLean. #Sens

[NHL]694183[/NHL]

Press conference notes:

Certain levels not being reached
Hard to dismiss a friend.
Need to get to the next level that they think they can achieve.

What was the reason?
Not sure why they came up short. Continue to be big turnover team in own zone.
Goaltending was outstanding. Gave chance to win games.
Too many chances against. Used the word “atrocious” to describe how many chances against.
Need to set a system to allow players to be good defensively.
Said the team isn’t necessarily bad defensively. Just gives up the puck too much

Old Paul vs new Paul
Uneasiness in the room, without a doubt
Better players felt they were singled out a little too often. “That’s today’s athlete. Want to be corrected and coached, given a chance to play without being the centirepoint of discussion.”

Cameron is Head Coach. NOT INTERIM.
Talked to Cameron. Got his interest. What his belief was regarding the team. Murray believes what Cameron wants to do.

Why so hard to find a coach since Murray became GM?
Murray asked if he himself overestimates the players. Said all mgmt staff included in decisions. All felt they have a competitive team, playoff contender. Felt the team wasn’t competitive enough on most nights.
Tried to provide the palyers that he fely would allow Maclean to succeed with this.

At what time did he think the change was needed?
No one was happy at the end of last year. Said after last season that he would evaluate after 20 games. Team continued to play the same way they did last year. Mainly defensive issues. Last 4-5 games brought it to a point that something needed to be done.

Asked about “Old Paul”
Said he’d have to ask Paul that question. Murray thought he related very well to the players in his first couple years. He drifted from that. Think it’s might be the pressure of the game and expectations.

(missed the question)
The game is about winning and losing and things change. This is the business. Results oriented.

About defence:
I don’t think the defence is that bad. Players are good. Positioning is the issue. Forwards not offering support. Exiting zone too early so D has no pass. Said he talked a thousand times about it and nothing changed.

Paul’s reaction after the game. Asked if he thought he bought himself some time with the win.
Said Paul was told at 9:30 this morning and he wasn’t happy. Murray wasn’t happy to do it.
Murray said getting behind 3-0 let the team forget about structure and just go play and that helped the team. Speed and talent showed up because of it. That’s what he wants the team to be. Have fun playing the game. Too many rules and too much structure takes that fuin away.
Will play with more speed and aggression, keep it simple, help each other, be creative in their own way. Less constrained by structure.

Why Cameron will work when Paddock didn’t?
Dave is a guy who has coached a lot. AHL, WJC, junior…successful at all levels. Former teacher, so will be very good with young players. Good people skills, so he will relate with the players. Team doesn’t have a lot of older players so he will work well with the majority of players. Not sure if he’s necessarily a players coach, but will allow players to play and will relate well 1-on-1

Sense from playters that communication was a 1-way street and everything was “No”
Murray agreed. Pressure may have got to Maclean and he wasn’t as open to listen to ideas and take them. Players now really want that access to the coach and have a strong rapport with the coach and have their input acknowledged.

Why bring him back after last season?
Maclean is a good coach. Murray was in his corner to have a bounce back after a bad year. Bad years happen. Thought Mac could get the team back. It didn’t happen.

Which players did Murray meet with yesterday?
Wouldn’t say.

Talks to adjust Cameron’s contract.
Murray is working on it. Has 2 years left on his Assistant coach deal.

Any other coaches considered? Asked about Luke
Luke is very happy right now. Wants to focus on Bingo and staying close to his daughter.
Dave was the other guy in line
Dave is meeting with all staff today. Will indicate to B Murray today if the rest of the staff wants to stay.

Jack Adams kiss of death for a coach? Was Maclean different after winning?
Thinks Maclean expected more from the players when he came back. Thinks Mac will get another job soon.

Was Dave part of the coaches considered when Mac was hired?
Yes. He was one of 5 coaches interviewed.

Asked about trades
“I’m talking to some teams.”
Said something weird about Dave being able to add or subtract a piece as the coach…???

What’s the impact?
Believe they have a chance to be a playoff team. By doing the change with 55 games left, Cameron has a chance to get the team playing better, skating more, and take a run at a playoff spot.

What’s the difference between Cameron and Mac?
Dave has lots of background as a teacher, coach and player. He will recognize the power of communication to empower players. Dvelop a system to benefit players. Forecheck harder. Cut down turnovers with better defensive presence.

That’s it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?a?a?a?a?/////?//????

holy.....

it happened?

i'm in shock. i think i should be happy, but now in shock

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Wow.

Me and my friends were just talking about this last night.

I figured they would ride him out until Richardson could take over...

I'm wondering if Karlsson had something to do with this.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Holy ****. Was NOT expecting that.

I know that one game doesn't change much, but I figured it bought him a few more games at least.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The next question is who is the replacement? Luke perhaps? Eugene won't want to pay the big bucks for an elite NHL coach with proven experience will he?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow.

Me and my friends were just talking about this last night.

I figured they would ride him out until Richardson could take over...

I'm wondering if Karlsson had something to do with this.

that's what i was expecting.

i'm actually not sure this is good timing.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This move makes absolutely no sense.

Zero.

Zit.

We were coming off our best game of the season and there's no better options out there.

Seriously, what the ****.

Lmao Cameron taking over. The guy who always chokes. We just got rid of a great coach who did a lot with little given to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad