Confirmed with Link: Sens Dismiss MacLean, Cameron named full-time replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
We need good players to attract good players.
We need to spend money to attract good players.

Were stuck in a vicious circle.

If we can't spend until we have good players, but can't get good players until we spend. Throw in the x factor that we dont ever draft high...how do we become a good team?

Surest way is to develop good players. We are in the thick of that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I am so pissed right now. I can't believe they did this. In a few weeks we'll be wishing Clouston was back coaching this team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you count coaching changes, than it adds another one as Murray came back after firing.

Coaching changes since 2007:
1) Murray>paddock
2)paddock>Murray
3) Murray>hartsburgh
4)hartsburgh>clouston
5)clouston>maclean
6)MacLean>Cameron

That's way too many for a gm. Even if he has cancer they should really push for him to retire/step down and take a consulting job so he can spend more time with his family.

Promote our AGMs to GM on an interim until the offseason or find a permanent one now.

This is too much.

Is it a record for number of coaching changes in the NHL under one gm? It has to be.

While I still agree that Murray has gotten a lot of chances at hiring coaches, I think it cheapens the argument when you include his initial hiring when he was not longer available as he became GM, and when he went back behind the bench to close out the season (I'd much rather he hold off hiring until a proper search could be done)

I'm not happy with Cameron being made "full time" coach, not because I don't think he'd be any good (It's impossible to say, he's got a good track record of improving teams in the CHL), but rather because it seems we didn't do our due diligence and interview potential candidates.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Yeah we are. We always are, and we almost always get the **** rid of 'em because players aren't idiots and will gladly go to a team with an actual future and not awful ownership

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
While I still agree that Murray has gotten a lot of chances at hiring coaches, I think it cheapens the argument when you include his initial hiring when he was not longer available as he became GM, and when he went back behind the bench to close out the season (I'd much rather he hold off hiring until a proper search could be done)

I'm not happy with Cameron being made "full time" coach, not because I don't think he'd be any good (It's impossible to say, he's got a good track record of improving teams in the CHL), but rather because it seems we didn't do our due diligence and interview potential candidates.

Also keep in mind that I believe it was Clouston who was actually allowed to finish out his contract, so technically not a firing. Just a change in direction.

So really Murray has only ever fired 3 coaches in his tenure. Which isn't too bad really.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
MacLean was not the coach of seasons yore. He went from being a coach that wasn't afraid to lose anything to a coach who was afraid to lose everything.

I am saying that these fans were calling for the trade of Alfredsson and saying he was useless, etc etc etc. That the team needed a new captain... right up until 2006. I listened to team 1200 every night there was a game for a very long time because it wasn't the ERA of streamed games. I heard fans say that Alfredsson did not care, that he did not play well enough to get us over the top.

It sounds a lot like the way some fans talk about Karlsson now. It is exactly why I get up in arms.

Yeah Phillips is declining and so is Neil, and people like you call them plugs. Are you even old enough to realize what these players are to this team? We already lost our longest standing Captain.

I remember. I was one of Alfie biggest supporters. Then next season he led us to the finals.

I do realize what those players mean to the team. I used to love Phillips and Neil. ****, I still love what used to be.

I don't even have a problem with them being on the team. It just depends upon the capacity. Right now we aren't a deep enough team to have those guys.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Develop good players

They leave or we trade/release them

Develop more good players

They leave or we trade/release them again

We never make any forward progress

During the most recent retooling, or whatever you call it, that hasn't happened though. Early goings, not developed yet. We lost most of the old guard that was on the way out for one reason or another anyway. We had nothing of significance to loose or develop between 2002-2008. Players from 2011 up are largely intact and developing or parlayed into more immediate impact pieces (Turris, Ryan).

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Do you think we have good enough talent in the organization to break away from being a bubble team?

I don't think we do. Maybe making Cameron the HC was smart...

dpw

Jul 29, 2004
anyone have a link to the heated exchange between PM and EK?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
MacLean was not the coach of seasons yore. He went from being a coach that wasn't afraid to lose anything to a coach who was afraid to lose everything.

I am saying that these fans were calling for the trade of Alfredsson and saying he was useless, etc etc etc. That the team needed a new captain... right up until 2006. I listened to team 1200 every night there was a game for a very long time because it wasn't the ERA of streamed games. I heard fans say that Alfredsson did not care, that he did not play well enough to get us over the top.

It sounds a lot like the way some fans talk about Karlsson now. It is exactly why I get up in arms.

Yeah Phillips is declining and so is Neil, and people like you call them plugs. Are you even old enough to realize what these players are to this team? We already lost our longest standing Captain.

To be fair, they never criticized alfies effort level.

They criticized his leadership and ability to get it done in the playoffs.

Were seeing karlsson skate with 50% effort...and sometimes even gliding back out of position. Alfredsson never did this. He and fisher were always getting the 4th star for hardest working senator if he wasn't in the 3 stars.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Just finished watching the Murray presser... right at the end, when Murray is struggling to answer the question "How is Cameron different/better than Maclean" - it's obvious that Cameron is not his guy. The whole press conference is Murray talking about Maclean, and Cameron... he's just so wishy-washy about him. Murray's always candid and open in his opinions, but Cameron gets the standard hockey platitudes.

Ugh. This whole org is a mess right now.

Is there any other video out there I can watch? Anyone have a link to that Phillips interview?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Maclean turned into an arrogant jackass anyways. Saying all his guys had bobo's and all his other crap. I'm glad to see him gone. Cameron as his replacement? Not happy with that but there's no point in whining until we see how the team responds

His jabs at Legwands 1000th game was highly unnecessary too. If he was my boss I wouldnt be happy.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Do you think we have good enough talent in the organization to break away from being a bubble team?

I don't think we do. Maybe making Cameron the HC was smart...

I think we'd need to take advantage of some aggressive FA or trade strategy at some point (see the Isles this year) but, basically, yeah, I do think we have some solid bits to build around. I certainly did when this thing started with Zib, the two other firsts from that year and Cowen and Lehner and Karlsson. That time wasn't now though because most of these guys are too young and don't have the experience. Bubble team this year didn't mean they'd stay that way in perpetuity.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
-4 coaches hired by Murray, 4 coaches fired by Murray.
-1 playoff series victory in seven seasons
-missed the playoffs 3 out of 7 seasons
-finishing 6th in the eastern conference in 2010 is the highest the team has finished in Murray's tenure.

With all due respect to Bryan Murray and his current situation, but why is the coach always the scapegoat? Why is the general manager of this hockey team NEVER held accountable? How in the **** does he get to hire and fire 4 coaches in 7 years?

**** Eugene Melnyk and **** the Ottawa Senators organization.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't like the way they continued to play poorly on D as units so can see why MacLean is gone but lets hope Bryan Murray didn't use the players complaints to make the decision. Who the heck did BM talk to? Karlsson? He has played on only 1 side of the puck most of the season and given up on D plays more than anybody else. He shouldn't be shocked at being singled out by the coach. Phillips? No way he shouldn't even have been dressed half the time. If anything he might and should do worse being dressed or in toi with a new coach. Cowen or Wiercioch? Possibly on some nights they might have a complaint but neither played that well to make a solid case. Also with 8 D and only Methot injured someone had to sit. I could go down the list. Unless there is a trade none of that will change with Cameron. None of the young guys who had to sit a game or 2 can complain they deserved it especially with 2 extra forwards sitting in the stands.

I didn't like the way the team played D or forehecked but I certainly wouldn't listen to any players except maybe Ryan who I think on many nights would have been the most justified about his toi or lack of pp time until recently.

It is not unusual to expect Murray to have talked to the captain and two assistants, plus perhaps some other important vets and players such as Ryan, MacArthur, Tirris and Legwand to get their thoughts. I doubt that he spoke with the younger and rookie players. I find it ludicrous for them to say they did not know their roles and for someone to say that Smith was lost.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To be fair, they never criticized alfies effort level.

They criticized his leadership and ability to get it done in the playoffs.

Were seeing karlsson skate with 50% effort...and sometimes even gliding back out of position. Alfredsson never did this. He and fisher were always getting the 4th star for hardest working senator if he wasn't in the 3 stars.

Really? Karlsson would get crucified for this:

As I recall, alfie did too.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I'm glad the players feel bad about the coach getting fired. They're largely to blame for it. If they didn't feel bad, then I'd have serious issues about the character of the team.

Placing the blame on the players is silly. Maclean was given specific instructions by Murray at the end of last season and was too stubborn to implement them this season. He's a good coach but he needs to lose his 'old school mentality' if he wants to stay in the NHL long term.

The Sens are a young team and the new generation of athletes don't put up with the same crap that previous ones did for the sake of misguided narratives of being warriors and needing to battle through injuries to prove their determination.

Maclean stopped respecting the players and they stopped respecting him. He's the damn coach and it's his job to make sure this doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad