Confirmed with Link: Sens Dismiss MacLean, Cameron named full-time replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
No idea. I assume an assistant coach has a hand in it right? Did Maclean even get to pick his own assistants anyway?

Maybe Cameron puts in his own completely different system? I dunno.

It's part of what we'll find out in the time to come. You give the guy a chance, see what changes he makes if any, but he's on a short rope in my mind.

This is all pretty ****ed up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He has a terrible resume and he was part of this disappointing coaching staff. I can't see the system changing.

This is it... I think they want Luke but he isn't ready and I don't think that Melnyk wants to pay another head coach in the mean time just promote from within.

Typical of this ownership group. Its a sad day in Ottawa and will continue to be one with this owner. The day he goes is the day things start to actually change.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Small correction.

Fair enough. Though doesn't Murray get some of the blame? Small budget and he seems to have wasted a decent amount of the dollars. Greening's contract for example is insane. Teams like Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix (used to be, anyway) have shown that you can be competitive on a shoe-string budget.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
He has a terrible resume and he was part of this disappointing coaching staff. I can't see the system changing.

The coaching staff? While macLEan might not be without fault you might want to take a look at the players and so called stars that cant be bothered to play proper defence. With the captain often leading the way.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
This is it... I think they want Luke but he isn't ready and I don't think that Melnyk wants to pay another head coach in the mean time just promote from within.

Typical of this ownership group. Its a sad day in Ottawa and will continue to be one with this owner. The day he goes is the day things start to actually change.

If they want Luke anyway, very little point in bringing an outside patsy in when we have a perfectly viable one on staff. (notice: viable patsy, not necessarily viable long term coaching option)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Glad the coach got fired because he clearly lost it this year. He was so good his first few seasons and not sure why he changed. Yes the roster is different but he wouldn't have put Greening, Smith and Neil out in a shootout. I think that's the game when I'd have enough of him.

You have to be pretty brain disturbed to put those in a shoutout

The guys that led the team yesterday KARLS RYAN ZIB ANDY must have gone WTF:shakehead

I quit too on him at this exact time

He was lying all the time with his best players play and almost laughing at the journalist asking post games questions

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
As much as I think that Cameron is absolutely the wrong guy, I fully anticipate this team going on a bit of a winning tilt due to:
a) to "excitement over new coach", and
b) changing up their style mid season ("Playing loose"), before teams have a chance to adjust

... and there are going to be a number of fans who will falsely attribute that to Cameron, and we'll have a very divided fanbase based on the pro-Cameron guys ("but he did so well in his first 15 games!") and the anti-Cameron guys ("those 15 games were endorphins and adrenaline of a coaching change!")

completely agree.

If what Phillips said is really true, then it was sadly the right move to fire Maclean.

Once the players start tuning out the coach, there is really nothing that can be done.

Well you can either get new players or fire the coach and hire a new one. Now which one do you think is the easier one of the two? ;)

lmao at anyone listening to what the biggest plug on the team has to say.

players are staying quiet on twitter because its a sensitive issue, and they don't wanna pick sides. It sounds like the players didn't really like him but management got that impression because the leaders(Phillips and Neil) are the first people they ask.

phillips has lost 80% of the fans. so who cares what phillips says. just excuses for his inexcusable play

this.

I honestly hope Murray didn't consult phillips and neiler about Maclean. If so, the inmates really are running the asylum.

It was Spezza's team last year and we still did not perform. I wanted to keep MacLean around... but I believe I am wrong and that it was time for him to go.

What you stated above is kind of ridiculous. Do you think Karlsson doesn't want to win? He is as competitive as anyone out there. Easily as competitive as Alfredsson. This team in its entirety had stopped listening to MacLean.

Ya and then Spezza asked for a trade. Exactly my point. There's no accountability. If the coach tries to say/do anything the players just stop playing or ask to leave town.

lmao at Maclean letting the players go to beach last week in Florida instead of practicing and then they pull this **** on him. I can't even imagine how pissed he is right now.

I'd love to go to his house with a bottle of whisky right now, sit down all night and hear everything he's got to say.

EK is not as competitive as Alfie. Not even close. Which sucks for us, because he has the skill to be the greatest sen of all time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Terrible resume?

20 years of coaching experience
Last 4 years spent as assistant coach for the team (knows the players very well)
His teams made the playoffs in the vast majority of years he has been a head coach
Coach of World Junior team in 2010

Pretty good looking resume to me :dunno:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Our comeback yesterday showed we can have a up tempo suffocating style
Wish cameron is going to let them play that style that suits us pretty well

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
He didn't say that or anything like that. .This is what he said:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/otr-phillips-discusses-maclean-firing-1.155006

You are right and I didn't mention his name either when I posted that although I've edited the comment to clarify that point since it was based on an erroneous "quote" from a previous poster earlier on in this thread who apparently had listened to the show. I've since viewed the video myself and unless it's been edited out I concur Phillips said no such thing and was misrepresented.

BTW) Thanks for the link to the clip.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If they want Luke anyway, very little point in bringing an outside patsy in when we have a perfectly viable one on staff. (notice: viable patsy, not necessarily viable long term coaching option)

This is my line of thinking as well. Just because Cameron is the new head coach doesn't mean he can't be fired if the team wants to go in a different direction in the offseason, or reinstate him as an assistant.

Besides, like you suggested, I believe Murray is looking at Richardson. The franchise has quite literally groomed him for that job since he was still a player.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Our comeback yesterday showed we can have a up tempo suffocating style
Wish cameron is going to let them play that style that suits us pretty well

All I know is that Cameron better find a way to play his guys in a matter where they're not allowing 30 shots against every game.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Alfie: "This isn't goodbye"

A few days later Maclean gets the boot.

Though, it seems like Alfie might be pretty close to sign in Sweden. Can't remember where.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Terrible resume?

20 years of coaching experience
Last 4 years spent as assistant coach for the team (knows the players very well)
His teams made the playoffs in the vast majority of years he has been a head coach
Coach of World Junior team in 2010

Pretty good looking resume to me :dunno:

Look farther than the big numbers. He has blown it in every big game he has coached. He got run out of Bingo on a rail. He blew a five goal lead in the WJC...and we have a team that has trouble with defence.

He's basically Melnyk's guy and that's why he is there. Nothing more and nothing less.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
EK is not as competitive as Alfie. Not even close. Which sucks for us, because he has the skill to be the greatest sen of all time.

I remember when everyone was calling for Alfredsson's head, calling for him to be traded, because he supposedly played like Karlsson. Karlssson, who you apparently believe is enigmatic?

Karlsson is the reason this team is even competitive at all, night in and night out. He gets stuffed beside Phillips, who you believe is a plug and you expect him to cover for that I suppose? He gets put beside Cowen, who started the season off slow and he has to cover for that too.

Karlsson is not infallible. He has a lot to work on... hopefully he will come back into Norris form. But he certainly is as competitive as Alfredsson and any player we've had on this team. When the game comes down to the crunch, I have seen Karlsson put the team on his shoulders and tie it up, or do something spectacular far more than our last supposed captain Spezza. Karlsson is a lot like Alfredsson.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
[Melnyk]Well, my team of old, ****** players who I spent nothing for so I could stay at the cap floor is playing like garbage. I better fire our head coach who took us to the playoffs twice and played well with only a slightly better team[/Melnyk]

****ing Christ

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
completely agree.

lmao at anyone listening to what the biggest plug on the team has to say.

this.

I honestly hope Murray didn't consult phillips and neiler about Maclean. If so, the inmates really are running the asylum.

Ya and then Spezza asked for a trade. Exactly my point. There's no accountability. If the coach tries to say/do anything the players just stop playing or ask to leave town.

lmao at Maclean letting the players go to beach last week in Florida instead of practicing and then they pull this **** on him. I can't even imagine how pissed he is right now.

I'd love to go to his house with a bottle of whisky right now, sit down all night and hear everything he's got to say.

This is a fantastic post, no way shape or forum is Ek as competitive as alfie. But really who is? There are only a handful of people that are. I think Ek is competitive but was not the right choice for captain, not yet.

LOL at 'inmates really are running the asylum.'

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think its that horribly bad. Just that Mac has been ****ing up the pairings horribly during the season.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen -Ceci
Boro-Gryba
---
Phillips

I don't think that line up looks too shabby.

I like it too, with Phillips and Wiercioch sitting out. But the team could certainly be improved at D as this crew is not top tier level in the league.

Oct 10, 2010
I don't even need to read the reason's why he was fired because he's clearly lost his way as a head coach when it came to line ups and in game changes the past couple years.

I just hope Cameron doesn't over play 9MM and Legwand and does have Neil playing in the final minutes of games when we have the lead.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Look farther than the big numbers. He has blown it in every big game he has coached. He got run out of Bingo on a rail. He blew a five goal lead in the WJC...and we have a team that has trouble with defence.

He's basically Melnyk's guy and that's why he is there. Nothing more and nothing less.

And let's also not overlook the fact that he's been the guy in charge of our power play the last number of years. That should speak volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad