Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion has deep roots in the Habs team, only way I can see this work is if Roy says he’ll be the HC is they bring in Gainey or Carboneau as POHO and maybe even Crawford as a senior advisor.

Roy isn’t coming here for a job, he has a job and his ego won’t be satiated with Ottawa, he’ll only come here to build a winner with tre right support around him.

So it’s not happening.

I say they go with the college coach

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The fact that Dorion had to travel to interview him pretty much says it all. You would think that the majority of interviews would be conducted in housed where the prospective new coach could meet staff, trainers, get a tour of the facilities, etc. This Roy charade is just for show, and if its not, Pierre Dorion travelling to meet him, means that Dorion is going there to beg.
He also traveled to Dallas to interview Bowness. That means nothing.

Reactions: GoodGoodnotBad

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I'd say it's a 17% chance that they hire Martin for both the coaching and Poho role, because why the f not at this point.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Agreed. At least give us some drama for excitement. Our large collection of untradable cap anchors stinking it up on the ice every night aren't going to bring anyone to the barn, that's for sure.
...and the stars didn’t either

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We need a coach to mentor the young d corp.

Roy was more of an run and gun style. Make no sense.

Martin is the clear choice to me.

Agreed. I want no part of Roy. His one good year was masked by Varlamov having an amazing year, while the team sucked. Does that sound familiar? *cough* Boucher *cough*

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No.

I think you're reading a bit too much into a very insignificant detail, IMO. I don't think it means anything.
I mean, you would think out of respect, if Patrick Roy called you, as intimated by Bossy, to apply for the job, how do you not go meet with the HOFer and hear him out? At the very least, it is respect and common courtesy shown to a Quebecois legend, who has coached in the NHL before.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Roy seems like the worst possible fit for this team, imo.

He's enough of a motivator that he might actually get this team near the bubble (which would be a bit of a nightmare in a season where we should be bottoming out again).

He doesn't seem like much a development coach (at least at the NHL level) and I don't see how he'd be helping out our young defencemen with his run and gun style.

Outside of the entertainment/chaos factor he wouldn't bring as much to the table as the other candidates, imo.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

He's enough of a motivator that he might actually get this team near the bubble (which would be a bit of a nightmare in a season where we should be bottoming out again).

He doesn't seem like much a development coach (at least at the NHL level) and I don't see how he'd be helping out our young defencemen with his run and gun style.

Outside of the entertainment/chaos factor he wouldn't bring as much to the table as the other candidates, imo.
Maybe but a game Habs vs sens in saturday night will be amazing

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I wonder what would happen with a coaching team of Roy and Crawford...

Poor players lol

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

This.

Roy seems like a great fit for a team that underperformed and needs an offseason boost to get back into the playoffs next year. A team like Philadelphia or Minnesota.

We're not those teams.

We need someone level-headed with a few years of patience in them.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I mean, you would think out of respect, if Patrick Roy called you, as intimated by Bossy, to apply for the job, how do you not go meet with the HOFer and hear him out? At the very least, it is respect and common courtesy shown to a Quebecois legend, who has coached in the NHL before.

From the Bossy interview:

Un point négatif, toutefois, soulevé par Mike Bossy : l’argent. Bien qu’il ait déjà gagné des millions de dollars au fil de sa carrière, il ne doit pas s’attendre à toucher un salaire compétitif dans la capitale nationale.
«On le sait qu’à Ottawa ils ne veulent pas payer (cher), a assuré la légende des Islanders de New York. Moi je pense que Patrick Roy gagnera moins d’argent à Ottawa qu’à Québec!»

For those who don't speak French, Bossy states that the biggest obstacle, shockingly, is money. Now that everyone is completely shocked, Bossy also believes that Roy would make more money if he stayed woth the Remparts than if he coached the Senators.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Un point négatif, toutefois, soulevé par Mike Bossy : l’argent. Bien qu’il ait déjà gagné des millions de dollars au fil de sa carrière, il ne doit pas s’attendre à toucher un salaire compétitif dans la capitale nationale.
«On le sait qu’à Ottawa ils ne veulent pas payer (cher), a assuré la légende des Islanders de New York. Moi je pense que Patrick Roy gagnera moins d’argent à Ottawa qu’à Québec!»

For those who don't speak French, Bossy states that the biggest obstacle, shockingly, is money. Now that everyone is completely shocked, Bossy also believes that Roy would make more money if he stayed woth the Remparts than if he coached the Senators.
Roy doesn't need money. He needs charter travel and the NHL lifestyle again IMO.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

But the Quebec Remparts only drew 9000 a game last year, at much lower ticket prices. How can they afford to pay a coach!?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
But the Quebec Remparts only drew 9000 a game last year, at much lower ticket prices. How can they afford to pay a coach!?

1) they don't pay the players any salary
2) he's also the GM
3) the team is owned by Quebecor, who also operates the arena, so I'm sure there's some creative accounting going on there

Reactions: Deku

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Agreed. I want no part of Roy. His one good year was masked by Varlamov having an amazing year, while the team sucked. Does that sound familiar? *cough* Boucher *cough*

But the AVs were completely BRUTAL though, and no coach was going to help that.

They had some good pieces, but some massive gapping holes, and much like the Senators, they had a fractured dressing room and a lack of team chemistry. That team sucked with or without Roy, and that was pretty much proven.

And unlike Boucher who for two years continuously got the players that he requested from his GM, Roy didnt get any say on a roster that was in obvious need of improvement.

I understand people's hesitation on Roy, his junior record is phenomenal but hes still unproven in the NHL. But I really think that some people are having a hard time looking at the big picture right now.

He brings instant credibility to the franchise - which is at lowest point in history - and it will help everyone from GM down to the fans on hfboards to stand up a bit taller. Even if just a little bit.

Reactions: Ed Wood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad