Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I was curious to read your guys’ opinions on Roy being your coach.

You have some elements very wrong here.

The first Avs team actually had a quite stacked offensive top 9. It was their defense that needed to be masked for how bad it was. Overall, they weren’t a bad team, but certainly not as good as they finished.

The following years, with the player movements made and continuous lack of drafted players developing, made the team worse and worse.

Secondly, Roy had SIGNIFICANT say in the roster. He was actually the one sometimes negotiating with other GMs. Media discussed how it appeared to be a very confusing situation for other GMs. Yes, Sakic had final say, but Roy negotiated a deal that allowed him to have say on player personnel. I believe he was AVP. There was a significant influx of French Canadian players to the team during his early tenure.

Roy’s departure was based on him not getting his way, and Sakic slowly giving him less and less say on roster personnel.

No doubt the situation and hierarchy in Colarado was messed up, and it led to dissent within the ranks.

No one really knows how much input Roy had in hockey matters. You dont know. I dont know. But we all know that Roy left over his perceived lack of input. That's a fact.

He apparently had Zibanejad and Chabot for Duchene lined up, which would have been INCREDIBLE for you guys. You would be contenders right now. But Sakic nixed it. So I personally dont blame Roy for getting frustrated with the lack of roster changes and the hesitation to make moves.

The bottom line is that I remember that you guys were completely over the moon with him after year 1. And even if it went poorly in years 2 and 3 for you guys and Roy, he still has a best load of potential as a head coach in this league. And not many coaches could have made the Avalanche look good....

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
You would think that, since the interviews are done, a decision must be imminent?
Bob MacKenzie opined that PD would make up his mind by Saturday then start negotiations with a formal hire early next week. So, yes, fairly imminent.

History does not give me much hope for a long term great hire but it would be great if we finally nailed a head coach hire.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But the AVs were completely BRUTAL though, and no coach was going to help that.

They had some good pieces, but some massive gapping holes, and much like the Senators, they had a fractured dressing room and a lack of team chemistry. That team sucked with or without Roy, and that was pretty much proven.

And unlike Boucher who for two years continuously got the players that he requested from his GM, Roy didnt get any say on a roster that was in obvious need of improvement.

I understand people's hesitation on Roy, his junior record is phenomenal but hes still unproven in the NHL. But I really think that some people are having a hard time looking at the big picture right now.

He brings instant credibility to the franchise - which is at lowest point in history - and it will help everyone from GM down to the fans on hfboards to stand up a bit taller. Even if just a little bit.

Roy's junior record is phenomenal because he coached a team that could buy players at will. Not that hard to win when you stack the deck.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
To the first point, they were very obviously aware that it was coming out whether they wanted it to or not. It certainly wasn't leaked by the Senators, but it's a pretty common PR move to try and distract from bad news.

To the second, it's very well established that Garrioch reports what the Senators want him to report. Whether that's directly from Eugene Melnyk or not isn't overly relevant.

Is it just BG, or are there other Sports reporters in on the conspiracy to distract attention away from whatever?

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Is it just BG, or are there other Sports reporters in on the conspiracy to distract attention away from whatever?
Hasn't Ian Mendes even mentioned that they have "enabled" Melnyk and the organization for far too long, prior to the trade deadline? Enabled meaning, kissed their a$$ and haven't reported on anything that they should be. I could be wrong, but was pretty sure that what I heard.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Hasn't Ian Mendes even mentioned that they have "enabled" Melnyk and the organization for far too long, prior to the trade deadline? Enabled meaning, kissed their a$$ and haven't reported on anything that they should be. I could be wrong, but was pretty sure that what I heard.

So now TSN 1200 hosts together will BG and perhaps others in the sports media, meet up behind the dumpster at the CTC, on what, a weekly basis, to have their talking points handed to them by EM?

Are all these conspirators getting compensated in anyway by EM?

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So now TSN 1200 hosts together will BG and perhaps others in the sports media, meet up behind the dumpster at the CTC, on what, a weekly basis, to have their talking points handed to them by EM?

Are all these conspirators getting compensated in anyway by EM?
He probably takes them all for lunch and makes them cover their own bills.

Either way, not gonna help you complete your mandate by discussing the same tired subject over and over. Maybe you should give us your opinion on who should be the next coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese