Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
But the AVs were completely brutal though, and no coach was going to help that.

They had some good pieces, but some massive gapping holes, and much like the Senators, they had a fractured dressing room and a lack of team chemistry. That team sucked with or without Roy, and that was pretty much proven.

And unlike Boucher who for two years continuously got the players that he requested from his GM, Roy didnt get any say on a roster that was in obvious need of improvement.

I understand people's hesitation on Roy, his junior record is phenomenal but hes still unproven. But I really some people are having a hard time looking at the big picture right now.

He brings instant credibility to the franchise - which is at lowest point in history - and it will help everyone from GM down to the fans on hfboards to stand up a bit taller. Even if just a little bit.

He was literally VP of Player Personnel. He quit because he felt like he didn't have enough of a say in roster construction, but some of the guys on the terrible teams were absolutely "Roy's guys".

Not going to dismiss the rest of your post, as you make some good points, but to say he didn't have any say is patently false.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He was literally VP of Player Personnel. He quit because he felt like he didn't have enough of a say in roster construction, but some of the guys on the terrible teams were absolutely "Roy's guys".

Not going to dismiss the rest of your post, as you make some good points, but to say he didn't have any say is patently false.

Fair enough. But it's more than fair to say tha his ideas were mostly ignored. The AVs stood firm and continued to suck hard. Because I mean he just up and quit...

He did that for a reason, and I guess he was largely proven to be right when they were forced to retool. For example I remember hearing that he had Zibby + Chabot for Duchene lined up for them, and Sakic nixed it....

Oct 10, 2010
I want Roy just for the potential blow up - We need someone in the org that has the personality to call out Melnyk for his BS>

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Probably mentioned on here somewhere, it was suggested on twitter that the "Roy Interview" is nothing more than a PR smoke screen for the recent Rick Lee lawsuit stirring up again and some of the seeming unforgiveable pieces of info that are coming from it, barring a hire (which i think would be hilarious for too many reasons to list) im fairly certain that's the play here.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
For positive PR.

Probably mentioned on here somewhere, it was suggested on twitter that the "Roy Interview" is nothing more than a PR smoke screen for the recent Rick Lee lawsuit stirring up again and some of the seeming unforgiveable pieces of info that are coming from it, barring a hire (which i think would be hilarious for too many reasons to list) im fairly certain that's the play here.

I did say that on Saturday, page .. 34?

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A tad off topic, but I did post this on Friday, right before the Lee news broke:

Uh-oh, usually an article like this from Garrioch is used to serve as a distraction to something else currently in the works. It is Friday, and it has been a week or so since there has been any bad news.

Stay tuned...

Was told to "chill" and that it meant nothing. Coincidently, the Roy interview news happened after the Lee news broke. A year ago, they would have just released bad news on a Friday hoping people wouldn't notice. At least they are now trying to distract people before and after the bad news. Baby steps.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Management/Ownership did with their scorched earth cost slashing "rebuild." Instead of putting any effort in they just took the easy way out.

Make the easy trades of players in demand, wait for your long list of expensive mistakes to expire, and stink up the joint for years in a row with your "veteran core" of crap nobody wants to watch.

I just wonder how many of their hated fan base will be left with interest after having no reason to go to the rink other than Chabot and Tkachuk getting **** kicked every night for 3 or 4 years.
All rebuilds require cutting costs. The rest is your opinion, which doesn't make any sense. The easy way out was gutting the franchise of fan favourites? Would love to know what the hard way is, I am all ears.

Nobody was watching anyways, so...back to coaching as you brought up attendance, not me. Roy, not sure about, I like the Leaman fellow the more I hear of him and Shaw would be my pick

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All rebuilds require cutting costs. The rest is your opinion, which doesn't make any sense. The easy way out was gutting the franchise of fan favourites? Would love to know what the hard way is, I am all ears.

Nobody was watching anyways, so...back to coaching as you brought up attendance, not me. Roy, not sure about, I like the Leaman fellow the more I hear of him and Shaw would be my pick
You asked who is giving up, so I answered and elaborated. Not sure why you expected anything more than "just my opinion" considering that's about what 99% of the conversation is on here and you don't mind putting yours forward a whole lot.

Like I said, Trading players with value, waiting for all your terrible decisions to expire, and not taking any responsibility for anything is the easy way out. Not sure what was so hard about trading fan favorites when you plug your ears to criticism and just provide pr lectures in controlled interviews.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A tad off topic, but I did post this on Friday, right before the Lee news broke:

Was told to "chill" and that it meant nothing. Coincidently, the Roy interview news happened after the Lee news broke. A year ago, they would have just released bad news on a Friday hoping people wouldn't notice. At least they are now trying to distract people before and after the bad news. Baby steps.

Your conspiracy theroy has a few weak links.

Are you suggesting the Senators released the "Lee News", (no longer an employee of the Senators) and NOT the Associated Press?

Do you also beleive that BG takes his marching orders from EM?

Who else is invoked in this massive deception?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Are you suggesting the Senators released the "Lee News", (no longer an employee of the Senators) and NOT the Associated Press?

Dude, every theory that you have has multiple leaks.

And yes, I do believe that Booboo takes a chunk of his marching orders from EM.

I actually never said that the Ottawa Sun wrote the article on Lee either, just coincidently, the Ottawa Sun published two articles on consecutive days. Friday's was a rainbows and unicorns story on BT and how great the Sens are at drafting, followed later in the day with the AP story , which was quickly countered by the conveniently placed article on Patrick Roy being interviewed. Garrioch knew who the "mystery candidate" was, he mentioned it several times on radio hits and TV spots, he was just waiting for the right time to throw the distraction out there, probably knowing as we all do, that there would be a need for a distraction sooner rather than later.

Is it crazy, absolutely, but this is a message board, sometimes its fun to come up with crazy theories, and in the case of the Ottawa Senators, every bats**t theory could 100% be true.

Last edited:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Still think we should interview Boughner. The guy’s a good coach. Don’t let not making the playoffs on Florida dissuade you. Pete DeBoer didn’t exactly beat the world down there either.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dude, every theory that you have has multiple leaks.

And yes, I do believe that Booboo takes a chunk of his marching orders from EM

I actually never said that the Ottawa Sun wrote the article on Lee either, just coincidently, the Ottawa Sun published two articles on consecutive days. Fridays was a rainbows and unicorns story on BT, then the AP story came out, which was quickly countered by the conveniently placed article on Patrick Roy being interviewed.

Is it crazy, absolutely, but this is a message board, sometimes its fun to come up with crazy theories, and in the case of the Ottawa Senators, every bats**t theory could 100% be true.
They should just officially hire him and get it over with.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

To the first point, they were very obviously aware that it was coming out whether they wanted it to or not. It certainly wasn't leaked by the Senators, but it's a pretty common PR move to try and distract from bad news.

To the second, it's very well established that Garrioch reports what the Senators want him to report. Whether that's directly from Eugene Melnyk or not isn't overly relevant.

Reactions: BatherSeason

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You asked who is giving up, so I answered and elaborated. Not sure why you expected anything more than "just my opinion" considering that's about what 99% of the conversation is on here and you don't mind putting yours forward a whole lot.

Like I said, Trading players with value, waiting for all your terrible decisions to expire, and not taking any responsibility for anything is the easy way out. Not sure what was so hard about trading fan favorites when you plug your ears to criticism and just provide pr lectures in controlled interviews.
Because trading players with no value is what exactly? A robbery? They can check their STH renewals to see what is so hard about trading fan favorites, except for you out in the Yukon.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
[MOD]

Roy might be good, hopefully they wrap this up soon

Last edited by a moderator:

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
But the AVs were completely BRUTAL though, and no coach was going to help that.

They had some good pieces, but some massive gapping holes, and much like the Senators, they had a fractured dressing room and a lack of team chemistry. That team sucked with or without Roy, and that was pretty much proven.

And unlike Boucher who for two years continuously got the players that he requested from his GM, Roy didnt get any say on a roster that was in obvious need of improvement.

I understand people's hesitation on Roy, his junior record is phenomenal but hes still unproven in the NHL. But I really think that some people are having a hard time looking at the big picture right now.

He brings instant credibility to the franchise - which is at lowest point in history - and it will help everyone from GM down to the fans on hfboards to stand up a bit taller. Even if just a little bit.
I was curious to read your guys’ opinions on Roy being your coach.

You have some elements very wrong here.

The first Avs team actually had a quite stacked offensive top 9. It was their defense that needed to be masked for how bad it was. Overall, they weren’t a bad team, but certainly not as good as they finished.

The following years, with the player movements made and continuous lack of drafted players developing, made the team worse and worse.

Secondly, Roy had SIGNIFICANT say in the roster. He was actually the one sometimes negotiating with other GMs. Media discussed how it appeared to be a very confusing situation for other GMs. Yes, Sakic had final say, but Roy negotiated a deal that allowed him to have say on player personnel. I believe he was AVP. There was a significant influx of French Canadian players to the team during his early tenure.

Roy’s departure was based on him not getting his way, and Sakic slowly giving him less and less say on roster personnel.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
When I was a kid I saw a coach of the New Brunswick representative at the AAA Midget Alantics pull their goalie at the start of the 2nd. They needed to lose by 20 goals in order to not face the St. John's AAA Leafs in the semi's. They lost by 21 or something like that, and went on to lose to Newfoundland's other team Tri Pen, as St. John's was hosting, in the Semi's anyways. The coach got banned from coaching in Canada for a few years I believe :laugh:

I couldn't believe it. I was an 11 year old at the game as a relative worked for Hull at the time, and had no clue what was going on. The place was booing like mad and the two teams were from out of province, no NFLD team involved at all. The place was packed and boo'd the whole game in the semi's against the Tri Pen NFLD team. It's one of the most memorable hockey spectating things I can remember while being young.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/ho...appeals-suspension-for-throwing-game-1.215770
Montreal did something similar in the NHL in the early 70s . I forget the details. Against Chicago if I recall. Montreal needed five goals to make the playoffs under the format at the time.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I was curious to read your guys’ opinions on Roy being your coach.

You have some elements very wrong here.

The first Avs team actually had a quite stacked offensive top 9. It was their defense that needed to be masked for how bad it was. Overall, they weren’t a bad team, but certainly not as good as they finished.

The following years, with the player movements made and continuous lack of drafted players developing, made the team worse and worse.

Secondly, Roy had SIGNIFICANT say in the roster. He was actually the one sometimes negotiating with other GMs. Media discussed how it appeared to be a very confusing situation for other GMs. Yes, Sakic had final say, but Roy negotiated a deal that allowed him to have say on player personnel. I believe he was AVP. There was a significant influx of French Canadian players to the team during his early tenure.

Roy’s departure was based on him not getting his way, and Sakic slowly giving him less and less say on roster personnel.

Thank you. That's exactly why I don't want Roy. His only year where the team was "good", Varlamov had an amazing year. I do not believe Roy is a good fit here. From his coaching, to roster moves, to developing your player, etc. Not even to mention the absolute static he would have with Dorion and Melnyk since they are not the easiest guys to deal with. I believe the hire would be a total disaster.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Thank you. That's exactly why I don't want Roy. His only year where the team was "good", Varlamov had an amazing year. I do not believe Roy is a good fit here. From his coaching, to roster moves, to developing your player, etc. Not even to mention the absolute static he would have with Dorion and Melnyk since they are not the easiest guys to deal with. I believe the hire would be a total disaster.
My comment wasn’t meant to describe whether Roy is a good or bad option for you guys. Simply to correct what Sam was saying that was inaccurate.

For the record, like any coach, Roy will do some very good things and some very annoying things.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I simply hope that if Dorion hire Roy, it would be because he feel he is the best for the job and not because Roy has so much Charisma.

Just like I feel they hired Boucher because he is such a good talker and he came with a great plan that in the end, he wasn't able to change when it needed.

Charisma is not a criteria to hired a guy, alone.

Charisma is usefull with player, but in the end, they need a solid developmental plan for the players.

Reactions: Samboni

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

You're making an excellent case for why he should be the next coach.

Reactions: God Says No
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad