Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The first candidate that answers this skill testing question correctly in the interview will get the job.

What do you think was the best thing about the 2018-2019 Senators?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Crawford won a cup 23 years ago... with a pretty stacked team (Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, ect) . At some point, that check box on the resume starts to lose it's luster. Might as well hire Hartley if we want an unlikable guy riding a reputation from winning a cup coaching a stacked avs team.

Guys like Bowman simply isn't comparable, he had success everywhere he went.

I'm not pushing for them to hire Crawford, I could really care less but if they decide to hire another young coach with little NHL experience, well we know how that has gone before & we know who will really be in charge. And it doesn't matter who people name on here someone will find something they hate about any coach. It could turn out to be a double edged sword, where the fans want a coach who can win next season, but they need to have another terrible season to get into the lottery. You have to wonder how many coaches who have jobs now would want to come to a volatile situation where they may only get a couple of yrs with a bad team before they are looking for work again. What to do, what to do?

DDT

Aug 18, 2008
Crawford was part of problem and media said that players would not be happy to have him back as HC. His yelling ways are probably getting on their nerves. If Crawford was serious candidate they would have just signed him and PD called him the best thing since sliced bread.

My top realistic candidates

Jacque Martin

Rikard Gronborg

Dominique Ducharme

Lane Lambert

Should get interviews at least

Benoit Groulx
John Stevens
Brad Shaw
Nate Leaman
Sheldon Keefe
If yelling is going to be a problem, might as well get Benoit Groulx off the list...

Reactions: aragorn

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
You have to wonder how many coaches who have jobs now would want to come to a volatile situation where they may only get a couple of yrs with a bad team before they are looking for work again.
Not to mention the circumstances surrounding the job with the ownership – it's no wonder the job doesn't seem especially sought after, even given that there are only 31 head coaching jobs in the NHL available. You hit the nail on the head here. If we get anyone with more redeeming qualities than negatives I'll be very surprised.

Reactions: aragorn

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
https://www.tsn.ca/report-sens-to-interview-former-coach-martin-1.1296112

Le Ottawa Senators have received permission from the Pittsburgh Penguins to interview Jacques Martin for their vacant head coach position, according to Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia.
The Senators have been without a permanent head coach since firing Guy Boucher on March 1, though Garrioch adds the team has already interviewed interim head coach Marc Crawford and Belleville Senators head coach Troy Mann for the job.

Garrioch reports that indications are the Senators will also meet with Providence Bruins bench boss Nate Leaman, who is currently coaching in the first round of the AHL playoffs.
Martin, 66, has 17 years of experience as an NHL head coach, including nine seasons with the Senators from 1995-2004. He guided the team to the playoffs in every season he was with the Senators, but failed to advance past the Eastern Conference Final.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Leafs have agreed to pick up half of Martin's salary.

There is a reason not to re-hire JM, since he was never able to get past the Leafs, hiring & firing JM might also be another reason to attack EM in this area. My guess is that it could be another young guy who is still in the league who is able to teach young players & Brad Shaw could be that guy, so could Chris Kelly. Shaw as HC & Kelly & Crawford as assistants might work but who knows what the end goal is & whether they need someone to suck next yr or start improving this team. They could have a multi phase plan to have a development coach for the next 3 yrs & than hire a coach who can move them through the playoffs towards a cup. Who knows really? Is PD any better at hiring a coach than BM was?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The first candidate that answers this skill testing question correctly in the interview will get the job.

What do you think was the best thing about the 2018-2019 Senators?

"Similar to every other year beginning in the 2003-2004 season, The best thing about the 2018-2019 Ottawa Senators is the hugely intelligent, inspiring, natural leader of man, long term thinking, market propping up, good community citizen, honest and humble Owner"

"Welcome aboard"

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
https://www.tsn.ca/report-sens-to-interview-former-coach-martin-1.1296112

Le Ottawa Senators have received permission from the Pittsburgh Penguins to interview Jacques Martin for their vacant head coach position, according to Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia.
The Senators have been without a permanent head coach since firing Guy Boucher on March 1, though Garrioch adds the team has already interviewed interim head coach Marc Crawford and Belleville Senators head coach Troy Mann for the job.

Garrioch reports that indications are the Senators will also meet with Providence Bruins bench boss Nate Leaman, who is currently coaching in the first round of the AHL playoffs.

Great job, TSN. Leaman coaches Providence College in the NCAA.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I liked Shawn Simpson's suggestion of looking into Brad Shaw as a possibility. At the same time though Simmer is clearly just flinging stuff at the wall to see what sticks, like when he linked Vigneault to Buffalo because AV and Jason Botterill were working together. Then AV ends up in Philly.

I wouldn't mind a second run with Martin either. It's true that he couldn't get us over the playoff hump in the past, but that problem is so far removed from where we are as an organization that it's a non-issue. He'd be here to bring us defensive structure and a return to respectability.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think its gonna be Martin / Gronborg between Ottawa and Buffalo

Whoever goes first gets the other guy

So when Martin goes to Buffalo Dorion can tell us how he wrote down Gronborgs name on a sticky note with his favourite coloured crayon and shared it with his hockey ops staff on show and tell Fridays

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'd be all for Jacques Martin as POHO. Steady hand, loads of experience and hopefully has the personality where he could just tune Melnyk out. He'd also go a long way in repairing the damage Eugene and Pierre have done in the community.

Reactions: DJB

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'd be all for Jacques Martin as POHO. Steady hand, loads of experience and hopefully has the personality where he could just tune Melnyk out. He'd also go a long way in repairing the damage Eugene and Pierre have done in the community.
I agree. I feel his time as coach here has come and gone. He is 66, has the required gray hair , and is a very knowledgeable hockey man, and brings Cup rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad