Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I suspect that the Senator’s budget will not support the hiring of an experienced, knowledgeable and successful head coach and staff. And I think the top coaches would prefer to join other teams just like our top players seem to have a preference to play elsewhere.
Isn't Crawford an experienced, knowledgeable & successful head coach? I'm quite sure he is capable of hiring a very good staff & has a few good pieces around him now to build a good staff in Chris Kelly, Troy Mann & others. Many could argue that Brad Shaw is a very experienced & knowledgeable coach as well just not as a HC yet & maybe affordable. It's a tough call to know who exactly could succeed here with these players, this GM & more importantly with this owner, it will be a very difficult task indeed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Isn't Crawford an experienced, knowledgeable & successful head coach? I'm quite sure he is capable of hiring a very good staff & has a few good pieces around him now to build a good staff in Chris Kelly, Troy Mann & others. Many could argue that Brad Shaw is a very experienced & knowledgeable coach as well just not as a HC yet & maybe affordable. It's a tough call to know who exactly could succeed here with these players, this GM & more importantly with this owner, it will be a very difficult task indeed.

Yes he is. I would not be disappointed if Crawford was signed to be the HC next year. He may not be the best, most sought after HC, but he is a credible candidate. And yes, the owner and GM are trouble spots with this franchise.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Your opinion. Definitely not factual.

Most left because of rebuild.

Back to the topic; the coaches will come because their is a bright future with the kids coming into the organization. (My opinion)
I think they will also see that we have demonstrated zero ability in keeping our homegrown talent in recent years. They would not want to be associated with this trash. You can't have bright future with kids when they're being constantly traded away lmao.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Back to the topic; the coaches will come because their is a bright future with the kids coming into the organization. (My opinion)
If that was the case, there would actually be names floated out there by credible insiders. The only names ever mentioned by Dreger, etc, have been Crawford and Mann, unless I missed something. When was the last time someone asked an actual hockey insider how the Sens POHO or coaching search going??

The only names we have gotten are the ones that were handed to Garrioch to mention in the Sun. Smoke screen for the eventual hire of Crawford, which is not a good hire. The stench of back to back bottom 5 seasons needs to go away and so does anyone who played a hand in those seasons (minus Dorion unfortunately).

The biggest concern I have with Crawford getting the job is that a couple of Sens media types have actually mentioned in Tweet replies (that have since been deleted) that several players would not be happy with him as head coach.

The number one candidate out there should be Benoit Groulx, and knowing that he doesn't pull up with the crap this org puts its employees through, he won't even be given an interview.

Reactions: Bean Drown

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
If that was the case, there would actually be names floated out there by credible insiders. The only names ever mentioned by Dreger, etc, have been Crawford and Mann, unless I missed something. When was the last time someone asked an actual hockey insider how the Sens POHO or coaching search going??

The only names we have gotten are the ones that were handed to Garrioch to mention in the Sun. Smoke screen for the eventual hire of Crawford, which is not a good hire. The stench of back to back bottom 5 seasons needs to go away and so does anyone who played a hand in those seasons (minus Dorion unfortunately).

The biggest concern I have with Crawford getting the job is that a couple of Sens media types have actually mentioned in Tweet replies (that have since been deleted) that several players would not be happy with him as head coach.

The number one candidate out there should be Benoit Groulx, and knowing that he doesn't pull up with the crap this org puts its employees through, he won't even be given an interview.

Crawford is not getting the job. Several candidates are still employed and cannot yet be interviewed. Dorion is also going to Europe to look , not only at players, but at coaches Could be June before a hire is made.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Several candidates are still employed and cannot yet be interviewed
DJ Smith has been mentioned and linked to the job in Edmonton for a few weeks now. He was still employed and was still in the playoffs. Its down right bizarre that no names have been floated out there other than those floated by Garrioch. This org is not good at keeping a lid on things, and this lid seems sealed shut.

Dorion is also going to Europe to look , not only at players, but at coaches Could be June before a hire is made.
Has this been discussed or reported anywhere?? Or is this an assumption?

Reactions: Upgrayedd

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

It's going to be a very sad day when hockey decisions such as choosing a new coach has to depend on who the players like or not like, they are so spoiled today. :shakehead

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's going to be a very sad day when hockey decisions such as choosing a new coach has to depend on who the players like or not like, they are so spoiled today. :shakehead
So do you think its a good idea to hire a guy who is disliked by his players? In no way am I saying that the players should be dictating who should or should not be the coach, or who should be on the roster, I am just saying that its a bad sign, especially when the biggest failures of this roster the past few seasons have been elements of the game that Crawford was solely responsible for (PP, defence).

During a rebuild, you want a guy who the players will listen to, someone who they respect and can learn from. This won't happen if the coach is disliked and not respected from the outset. Remember this team is in desperate need to try to keep players around, no sense giving guys yet another reason to want out.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
DJ Smith has been mentioned and linked to the job in Edmonton for a few weeks now. He was still employed and was still in the playoffs. Its down right bizarre that no names have been floated out there other than those floated by Garrioch. This org is not good at keeping a lid on things, and this lid seems sealed shut.

Has this been discussed or reported anywhere?? Or is this an assumption?

I don't find it bizarre personally, im sure they have reached out to a large list of qualified candidates as every other team has done, the difference here is the current poor stewards of the team who nobody in their right mind would want to work for. Thus the team is rightly not leaking all of the valid candidates that have quickly denied them interviews/job offers, for optics purposes of course. The latest spin job we are seeing is that these decisions (despite all evidence to the contrary) take a long time and need to be masterfully crafted out, which again goes against the core of everything factual and rumoured that has occurred with the Sens under uncle Eugene's reign of terror which is virtually no thought to any decisions outside of reducing spending..

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
A subordinate will never give their best effort for someone they don't like or respect. That holds true whether we're talking about sports, business, school, war... you name it. A leader can't be effective if their words fall on deaf ears.

Reactions: BatherSeason

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So do you think its a good idea to hire a guy who is disliked by his players? In no way am I saying that the players should be dictating who should or should not be the coach, or who should be on the roster, I am just saying that its a bad sign, especially when the biggest failures of this roster the past few seasons have been elements of the game that Crawford was solely responsible for (PP, defence).

During a rebuild, you want a guy who the players will listen to, someone who they respect and can learn from. This won't happen if the coach is disliked and not respected from the outset. Remember this team is in desperate need to try to keep players around, no sense giving guys yet another reason to want out.
The Montreal players apparently hated Scotty Bowmen who was considered to be one of the best coaches in NHL history. I wonder how many players like Torts or Hitchcock? There are a ton of head coaches who players have hated but were great coaches. Crawford may have been responsible for those things but he isn't the one on the ice, it's the players who control their own play. Crawford has won a cup, if the players don't respect that, maybe it's the players who should go.

GB was suppose to be the perfect coach for a young team rebuilding & he turned out to be terrible. I have no idea who should be the next coach but maybe having an experienced guy around like Crawford might be a little less stressful on everybody around this team given what we get from the owner from time to time. The owner can't say he knows better than a SC winner & he was less visible when BM was around. I think we would all like to see a new HC who can get this team to play together & continuously improve, who can develop the young talent & motivate them to make the playoffs asap.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The Montreal players apparently hated Scotty Bowmen who was considered to be one of the best coaches in NHL history. I wonder how many players like Torts or Hitchcock? There are a ton of head coaches who players have hated but were great coaches. Crawford may have been responsible for those things but he isn't the one on the ice, it's the players who control their own play. Crawford has won a cup, if the players don't respect that, maybe it's the players who should go.

GB was suppose to be the perfect coach for a young team rebuilding & he turned out to be terrible. I have no idea who should be the next coach but maybe having an experienced guy around like Crawford might be a little less stressful on everybody around this team given what we get from the owner from time to time. The owner can't say he knows better than a SC winner & he was less visible when BM was around. I think we would all like to see a new HC who can get this team to play together & continuously improve, who can develop the young talent & motivate them to make the playoffs asap.
Ok good idea. Let's let our kids grow under a head coach that they can't stand. Those FYOUS may be delayed a few years if that's the case

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Crawford won a cup 23 years ago... with a pretty stacked team (Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, ect) . At some point, that check box on the resume starts to lose it's luster. Might as well hire Hartley if we want an unlikable guy riding a reputation from winning a cup coaching a stacked avs team.

Guys like Bowman simply isn't comparable, he had success everywhere he went.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Didnt look through the thread but saw that Sens have interest in J Martin.

Id love to see him back. Great teacher of young players, knows how to coach defensively and still local to the area in the off season

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
upload_2019-4-24_23-58-17.jpeg

Now that I’ve given you PTSD let me say this.

upload_2019-4-25_0-2-13.jpeg

Watch Yzerman hire him again in Detroit and just crush it.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-25_0-1-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-25_0-1-22.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 69070311-AB7B-4EB9-9C35-54878838948E.jpeg
    69070311-AB7B-4EB9-9C35-54878838948E.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Crawford was part of problem and media said that players would not be happy to have him back as HC. His yelling ways are probably getting on their nerves. If Crawford was serious candidate they would have just signed him and PD called him the best thing since sliced bread.

My top realistic candidates

Jacque Martin

Rikard Gronborg

Dominique Ducharme

Lane Lambert

Should get interviews at least

Benoit Groulx
John Stevens
Brad Shaw
Nate Leaman
Sheldon Keefe

Reactions: Clayonator

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
1st Question the coach should ask:

‘You’re in stage 2 of the rebuild, how many stages are there with this team?’

This is actually a legit question that Dorion should be asked. Is new coaching staff and management phase 3, or is Phase 3 next summer after the playoffs and the two 1st round picks? Is tarping off part of your arena another phase?

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad