Sens coach for 2019-2020 Season

Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'd be all for Jacques Martin as POHO. Steady hand, loads of experience and hopefully has the personality where he could just tune Melnyk out. He'd also go a long way in repairing the damage Eugene and Pierre have done in the community.
The idea has merit. Unfortunately EM will hire a spineless yes-man with no credentials for that job.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Curious why NHL decision makers (not just Pierre Dorion) are one-track minded in only hiring head coaches born from North America ...

There are several excellent European coaches who for some reason aren't considered for NHL jobs:
-Roger Rönnberg
-Rikard Grönborg
-Slava Bykov
-Erkka Westerlund
-Jukka Jalonen

- These coaches would be able to bring a fresh approach/ strategies & tactics to NHL game
- For a team like Ottawa; they would most likely also be budget friendly as they wouldn't command outrageous salary (they'd prob take minimum just to get into the league).

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Curious why NHL decision makers (not just Pierre Dorion) are one-track minded in only hiring head coaches born from North America ...

There are several excellent European coaches who for some reason aren't considered for NHL jobs:
-Roger Rönnberg
-Rikard Grönborg
-Slava Bykov
-Erkka Westerlund
-Jukka Jalonen

- These coaches would be able to bring a fresh approach/ strategies & tactics to NHL game
- For a team like Ottawa; they would most likely also be budget friendly as they wouldn't command outrageous salary (they'd prob take minimum just to get into the league).

Wasn't that the same argument around Guy Boucher? That his experience coaching in Europe would allow him to offer some new strategies and tactics?

The style of hockey is different than in North Anerica and many of those tactics and strategies simply dont work here. It is a smaller ice surface and there is much less time and space.

Sure there might be some great coaching candidates in Europe but there are also good reasons why many European coaches are not on NHL radars.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Thank you.

I wonder why players might not like him. Too demanding?
There's a really good snippet in Sean Avery's biography about him... says he was legit terrified of him. He'd be kicking guys in the back and pulling their sweaters to scream in their faces. Hahaha. I'll see if I can find it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thank you.

I wonder why players might not like him. Too demanding?

Well, in the brief time he was head coach , it appeared to me we were seeing a kinder , gentler version of Crawford .. he really had no pressure.
There has been lots of discussion and posts over the past 2 years regarding Crawford losing it, tearing strips, and generally going overboard. Brent Sopel has some takes on it. There is also a tweet of Crawford reeming out chabot on the bench in his rookie year after what turned into a bad read at the blue line.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Well, in the brief time he was head coach , it appeared to me we were seeing a kinder , gentler version of Crawford .. he really had no pressure.
There has been lots of discussion and posts over the past 2 years regarding Crawford losing it, tearing strips, and generally going overboard. Brent Sopel has some takes on it. There is also a tweet of Crawford reeming out chabot on the bench in his rookie year after what turned into a bad read at the blue line.
My theory is that it's also his treatment of the refs. He is just banana cakes crazy when he yells at the refs sometimes. He screams all the time at the refs and it ends up costing the team more penalties. It's also embarrassing as a player because they are out there on the ice with the refs and are kind of in the middle. That's just a guess on my part though but at any level or sport that I've been a part of, having the coach be 'that guy' is never a good situation.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Confession - I actually enjoy Crow's meltdowns on the refs. Dude looks like he's about to have a stroke - his face is all red, eyes bugging out, etc. - it's hilarious. He's an intense guy, but he actually knows the game and the league well. I am hard pressed to think of a better candidate in our price range. I'm also fine with Jacques Martin. What I don't want is a newbie like Dominic Ducharme, Benoit Groulx, etc. That's heading into Hartsburg/Clouston territory...

Reactions: slamigo and Daffy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I am hard pressed to think of a better candidate in our price range
Why do we automatically assume that he is "in our price range"? Dude has won a cup and coached Team Canada at the Olympics, maybe he will ask for much more than we are willing to offer.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Why do we automatically assume that he is "in our price range"? Dude has won a cup and coached Team Canada at the Olympics, maybe he will ask for much more than we are willing to offer.

He wants to be a head coach again. Ottawa is his best chance at that.

Reactions: Cosmix

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He wants to be a head coach again. Ottawa is his best chance at that.
Really, you could say that about every candidate, they all wanna coach in the NHL, we can't just assume that because of that they would be willing to coach for less money than some assistants around the league.

I get the feeling that even some AHL head coaches were probably paid more than Boucher was.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Really, you could say that about every candidate, they all wanna coach in the NHL, we can't just assume that because of that they would be willing to coach for less money than some assistants around the league.

I get the feeling that even some AHL head coaches were probably paid more than Boucher was.
of course Crawford would be in their price range. If he wasn’t he wouldn’t have been working here for three years already

Reactions: Cosmix

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
of course Crawford would be in their price range. If he wasn’t he wouldn’t have been working here for three years already
Aha, he was in our price range as an "assistant coach". If he knows that he may be the only guy out there willing to work here, maybe his price goes up considerably. He has had a front row seat to the Eugene circus for the past few seasons, maybe he wants danger pay?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Crawford was already willing to come here as an assistant. He'll take the HC job if offered.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Crawford was already willing to come here as an assistant.
That was before he had a front row seat to the Eugene Melnyk/Pierre Dorion dismantling of the team. I am not disputing whether or not he would be interested, just saying that we can't automatically assume that he will come cheap and actually want to be part of the circus.

beaniewong

Oct 6, 2013
Man Ducharme would be a fantastic coach, every team over the past 5 years have obtained more success when he's there, he got Canada over the hump at the WJC's, and most recently, the habs went from a bottom feeder to like 2 points out of a playoff with an overall weak roster, due to the high tempo and fast team that Ducharme no doubt had influence on,

He's also coached Chabot, Formenton, Batherson, etc before and definitely would get the young kids going

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That was before he had a front row seat to the Eugene Melnyk/Pierre Dorion dismantling of the team. I am not disputing whether or not he would be interested, just saying that we can't automatically assume that he will come cheap and actually want to be part of the circus.

The guy didn't have an NHL job for like 5+ years before coming over as our assistant, and it was only because he was a package deal with Boucher.

He would take the job, because it's unlikely he gets offered another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad