Who should be the next head coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Now that alot of the d list level guys have been eliminated from the chl and men's league playoffs early, expect that search to kick into high gear!

Reactions: Deku and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I expect Dorion to hire Crawford as the next head coach because he will take a low salary, has HC experience, knows the current players, is a good person, and is good in locker room. :)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The next coach will be fired within 2-3 years. Doesn't really matter who they choose to be honest, it'll be another coach who doesn't have many offers on the table or it'll be a rookie coach. Chances we hire someone that'll last and be a good coach with the budget we're willing to spend and the reputation of the organization are slim to none.

8 coaches since Jacques Martin left. That's 8 coaches in 15 years.

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think I'm officially on the Grönborg train. He wants a shot in NHL and I think we should give it to him. His body of work is pretty good, and seems like developing players is his specialty. Should definitely be an option.

He’s probably going to Buffalo :(

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Maybe we should have a new poll with an updated list. Especially as some of these coaches are off the board

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think I'm officially on the Grönborg train. He wants a shot in NHL and I think we should give it to him. His body of work is pretty good, and seems like developing players is his specialty. Should definitely be an option.

I keep flip flopping between Groulx and Gronborg.

Honestly though, from a purely entertainment point of view, it would be really interesting to see what would come about from a Krueger (POHO)/Gronborg (HC) combination. The team might be able to take advantage of some market inefficiencies in regards to scouting/attracting Europeans to Ottawa.

I highly doubt the Senators are at the top of either of their lists, but they might actually be in a tier that this organization can afford and if they strike out on other opportunities this could be a decent landing spot for either one.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The next coach will be fired within 2-3 years. Doesn't really matter who they choose to be honest, it'll be another coach who doesn't have many offers on the table or it'll be a rookie coach. Chances we hire someone that'll last and be a good coach with the budget we're willing to spend and the reputation of the organization are slim to none.

8 coaches since Jacques Martin left. That's 8 coaches in 15 years.

You have to blame someone when the team does not perform as desired. Usually it is the coach who gets canned because the GM and owner need a scapegoat.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You have to blame someone when the team does not perform as desired. Usually it is the coach who gets canned because the GM and owner need a scapegoat.

''It's easier to replace 1 coach than to replace 23 players''

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Who will work for Melnyk anyway. Groulx, Ducharme, etc are not that desperate to risk their entry point in the ranks by working under his unfiltered interference.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Who will work for Melnyk anyway. Groulx, Ducharme, etc are not that desperate to risk their entry point in the ranks by working under his unfiltered interference.

Agreed. It will be someone who likely is not able to get the same job with another team and will take the Senator job as a last resort.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Agreed. It will be someone who likely is not able to get the same job with another team and will take the Senator job as a last resort.

You are not getting it.

The POHO is supposed to be the interference stopper.

Pretty sure EM never said much to Guy Boucher. Like what is he going to say? "Please play more Boro!" As if...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You are not getting it.

The POHO is supposed to be the interference stopper.

Pretty sure EM never said much to Guy Boucher. Like what is he going to say? "Please play more Boro!" As if...

A POHO is usually viewed as a senior knowledgeable experienced hockey executive who is in charge of all hockey operations and has the authority to hire and fire staff reporting to him, including the GM and to a certain extent lower level staff such as the coaching staff. He operates within the overall strategy of the organization including the budget set by the owner or Board of Directors if there is one.

If you are referring to the view that Melnyk is interfering in the operations of the team and needs help, then I cannot disagree with that, as Melnyk seems to have a penchant for saying inappropriate things at inappropriate times.

My comment relates to the choice of a POHO and the likelihood that the team will not pay a salary that will attract an experienced, knowledgeable and successful person.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
A POHO is usually viewed as a senior knowledgeable experienced hockey executive who is in charge of all hockey operations and has the authority to hire and fire staff reporting to him, including the GM and to a certain extent lower level staff such as the coaching staff. He operates within the overall strategy of the organization including the budget set by the owner or Board of Directors if there is one.

If you are referring to the view that Melnyk is interfering in the operations of the team and needs help, then I cannot disagree with that, as Melnyk seems to have a penchant for saying inappropriate things at inappropriate times.

My comment relates to the choice of a POHO and the likelihood that the team will not pay a salary that will attract an experienced, knowledgeable and successful person.

Ah... this is the coach thread. Thought you were talking about coaches. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ah... this is the coach thread. Thought you were talking about coaches. :)

I suspect that the Senator’s budget will not support the hiring of an experienced, knowledgeable and successful head coach and staff. And I think the top coaches would prefer to join other teams just like our top players seem to have a preference to play elsewhere.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I suspect that the Senator’s budget will not support the hiring of an experienced, knowledgeable and successful head coach and staff. And I think the top coaches would prefer to join other teams just like our top players seem to have a preference to play elsewhere.

Your opinion. Definitely not factual.

Most left because of rebuild.

Back to the topic; the coaches will come because their is a bright future with the kids coming into the organization. (My opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad