Post-Game Talk: SENS blow into the Windy City, Mon 8:30 pm

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wins Above Replacement: History, Philosophy, and Objectives (Part 1)

also a part 2 and part 3, and explanation for other stats on that site.

Oh, I grew up a Baseball fan, I'm intimately aware of what War is.

I've also read that site thoroughly. I wanted you to tell me why it's a good stat, in your own words, rather than regurgitate someone else's theory, so that you cpuld show a basic understanding of what it is trying to do, rather than adhere to it blindly because someone once told you it's a good stat.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Oh, I grew up a Baseball fan, I'm intimately aware of what War is.

I've also read that site thoroughly. I wanted you to tell me why it's a good stat, in your own words, rather than regurgitate someone else's theory, so that you cpuld show a basic understanding of what it is trying to do, rather than adhere to it blindly because someone once told you it's a good stat.
Because it rates your actual performance instead of fitting your pre conceived notions. One player is actually helping the team win,demelo. Another player wasn't helping the team win, Weircoch.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Our defense needs to be completely reworked,and after the TDL its likely our forward core will need this as well....Without money to help fund a proper rework... This team is going to be a trainwreck for many years....And that is just sad

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because it rates your actual performance instead of fitting your pre conceived notions. One player is actually helping the team win,demelo. Another player wasn't helping the team win, Weircoch.
Do you have Wiercioch's GAR/WAR stats there that show this? I just wanted to try and come to that conclusion myself using the stats you obviously have in order to say that.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Do you have Wiercioch's GAR/WAR stats there that show this? I just wanted to try and come to that conclusion myself using the stats you obviously have in order to say that.
2jKENHm.png

Zero is not good.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
That is the most basic definition of what any statiatic is attempting to do.

Try harder in explaining this.
Just for you, it shows how good you are compared to a league average player in number form rather than just the eye test.
Why is it important that I explain exactly what my interpretations of war is to you?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Just for you, it shows how good you are compared to a league average player in number form rather than just the eye test.
Why is it important that I explain exactly what my interpretations of war is to you?

Did Wiercioch have a very high goodness/60mins rating?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
But numbers – even cherrypicked ones – rarely tell the full story.

Aaaaaaaaand we've come full circle! Well done, everyone, safe drive home!
Cherry picked? You guys asked for them and I didn't make them.

Go check other sens team charts/graphs from that site(evolving-wild) it will show you Demelo rating well in those too. I'm done showing more proof when it's right there for you.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any reason why DeMelo's WAR has taken off this year?
No clue.

He hasn't looked great, his stats are worse than last year. Eye test tells me he's a bottom pairing guy in over his head.

His first 6 games he had 1g and 4a and was +8, and in the 52 games since has gone 2g and 7a and +8. Has 16 games with over 20 mins. Seems to me most NHL replacements for the top 4 would be at that level minimum.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
No clue.

He hasn't looked great, his stats are worse than last year. Eye test tells me he's a bottom pairing guy in over his head.

His first 6 games he had 1g and 4a and was +8, and in the 52 games since has gone 2g and 7a and +8. Has 16 games with over 20 mins. Seems to me most NHL replacements for the top 4 would be at that level minimum.
He's not an offensive dynamo, that's for sure, but he's looked very safe and solid to me for the most part, except for the last few games. I don't think any average NHL defenseman would be doing much better stat-wise on such a weak team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad