Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Spoken like a true sycophant.

A nasty little post from someone who makes a habit of it.

I wonder; you like to form strong hateful opinions about a guy like Bobby Ryan, whom you’ve never met, based on a few internet posts. Do you feel that it would be fair for me to form similar opinions about you based on your many internet posts directed at me?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I get all the Melnyk hate etc and really wish he would sell.

However, this is a good trade. Also, if the team is going to finish 26-31(ish) this year and be terrible, then they should try to keep the payroll as low as possible. The gates are going to be bad. Enduring unnecessary financial losses makes no sense. Run the team lean until it’s time to spend. Hopefully that coincides with new ownership.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Yes, I would expect him to say otherwise. I would expect him to say that the goal next year is to develop our young players and establish a culture, not compete for a playoff spot. That is a reasonable goal.

Ok, but a key part in developing players (or for anything in life) is setting goals to achieve. Competing for a playoff spot is probably the most basic goal you can set. They're not 5yr old children, they don't need to be coddled and given participation ribbons. They need a goal to strive for.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seriously, you should stop this line. It’s just clutter and serves zero purpose.

Obviously, and I mean obviously, EM doesn’t want to pay 3million to a guy who isn’t going to play. We DID need to trade him, because EM likely insisted.

This deal is a great compromise to get a bit better of a pick in order to get rid of a player that the boss man didn’t want to pay to not play this year. PD also ended up saving his boss a little bit more money in the process, so maybe a hug and high five from EM?

Haven’t you all exhausted trying to pretend that we’re fans of a team that doesn’t have serious financial constraints? If we had a different owner, sure we wouldn’t have had to trade Condon, though burying him in the ECHL, or just telling him to stay home, is a super dick move for a franchise that needs to be known to treat its players like gold, but we have this owner, and so PD DID have to find a way to get rid of Condon’s salary.

EM is either saving his millions here and there for fyous, trying see if he can turn a profit, or making the team look attractive to a buyer. Who knows, we’ll find out soon enough.

In the end, continuing to look at the team from an indignant perspective as though it was a regularly run team making mistakes, is a waste of everyone’s time.

See it for what it is, and evaluate accordingly.

So basically... We're in complete agreement, but you're tired of people pointing put how crummy it is?

Ok then. I can agree with this.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Retroactive payments would be an outlier in insurance contracts, so while it's possible, it's unlikely.

Moving up what will likely be a dozen spots given that we are likely to finish at the bottom of the league and TB the top is really not something that makes a lot of sense when you're talking about the 5th round.

The reason I am criticizing the trade is because we seem to lack any sort of plan.

If we wanted to ship off Condon to save money, buying him out was a better option.
If we wanted to move up in the 5th round of the draft (lol) there are better ways of doing that too.

The only way this makes sense in my mind is if Condon was ineligible to be bought out due to injury, but he was apparently healthy in April.

Haha, I mean I hear you, but I think the plan is pretty clear, and has been for a while.

Cut costs where possible. The rebuild is an excellent way to legit cut costs on the roster, and this Condon trade saves more money, while moving up a bit in the draft.

As for the outlier, one post from a poster who him or herself is unsure out the veracity of their claim, isn’t really a solid base for a firm opinion. These insured contracts aren’t exactly run of the mill insurance deals after all.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Pierre Dorion has gone on record that his expectation for this team, next year, is to be in the playoff hunt.

I'm shocked that a NHL GM would even say this out loud, even if they had every intention to tank and secure a high (as possible) draft pick, in the beginning stages of a complete tear down / re-build.

Let me think, there must be a long list of GMs, in the past that stated that their goal was to finish deadlast .......... hummmmm, where would I find that list?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You don’t treat players that way dude. We can’t just loan him to Europe or tell him to stay home.

Condon also would like a chance to play, and perhaps even earn a new contract somewhere.

Makes me chuckle when people advocate treating players this way on the one hand, and then also complain that UFAs don’t want to sign with us.

I love how your obvious solution is just to be a giant dick and try and hamper a player’s career instead of making a trade that STILL benefits the club as well as the player.
Why not lie to Condon like he lies to the fans?
Easy peezy

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So basically... We're in complete agreement, but you're tired of people pointing put how crummy it is?

Ok then. I can agree with this.

Honestly, I’d much prefer we loved to a humourous approach to it all eventually. The indignant has to run dry at some point, then we get to a place where we simply laugh and poke fun at ourselves, and then eventually EM sells and we can all of a sudden take ourselves seriously again.

Glorious!!!!

Reactions: BonkTastic

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You don’t treat players that way dude. We can’t just loan him to Europe or tell him to stay home.

Condon also would like a chance to play, and perhaps even earn a new contract somewhere.

Makes me chuckle when people advocate treating players this way on the one hand, and then also complain that UFAs don’t want to sign with us.

I love how your obvious solution is just to be a giant dick and try and hamper a player’s career instead of making a trade that STILL benefits the club as well as the player.

You can loan him to Europe (with his consent) it has happened before and will continue to happen in the future. We could have loaned him to an AHL team too (like we did with Corvo). You can send him to the minors and either play him there or not dress him, again, it has happened before and will continue to happen in the future.

If the team couldn't convince him to be loaned to europe or another AHL club, and he didn't want to sit at home to collect his 3 mil (such poor treatment) then they could have bought him out.

And I am sooooo sure that treating players right was on the top of Dorion's mind when he waived Smith before the season started last year. UFA's will surely think poorly of us for not playing the goalie that played his way out of the lineup...

Reactions: Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
ITT: People pointing out our obvious financial woes, and other people angry at those people for pointing out what has become an undeniably obvious characteristic of our organization.

ITT: People wanting to cut the nose to spite the face

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Ok, but a key part in developing players (or for anything in life) is setting goals to achieve. Competing for a playoff spot is probably the most basic goal you can set. They're not 5yr old children, they don't need to be coddled and given participation ribbons. They need a goal to strive for.

They need a realistic goal to strive for. Making the playoffs at the NHL level, is not a realistic goal for this roster. And it's certainly not a realistic goal to communicate to a fan base.

Expectation setting is clearly not Dorion's forte.

You'd think he would have learned after that embarrassing HNIC interview last year, but I guess not.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm shocked that a NHL GM would even say this out loud, even if they had every intention to tank and secure a high (as possible) draft pick, in the beginning stages of a complete tear down / re-build.

Let me think, there must be a long list of GMs, in the past that stated that their goal was to finish deadlast .......... hummmmm, where would I find that list?

Lot's of GM's don't say anything. Dorion should learn from them.

No one forced them to release a series of press releases making promises they won't be able to follow through on.

But I still look forward to your source stating that the Senators plan is to get a better draft pick next year. If you don't have one, we can all assume you're making it up.

You can't make an argument based on fiction and imagination. I presume you're not a mind reader, after all.

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Honestly, I’d much prefer we loved to a humourous approach to it all eventually. The indignant has to run dry at some point, then we get to a place where we simply laugh and poke fun at ourselves, and then eventually EM sells and we can all of a sudden take ourselves seriously again.

Glorious!!!!

Can we just skip to the part where EM sells? :sarcasm:

I mean... Honestly, 90% of the time I do take a humourous approach to it. It's just that 10% of the time, youneed to point out these things WHEN they happen.

I'll be laughing about this in a week, because we really don't have any other choice. But the day these events occur, it deserves to at least be acknowledged what id happening here.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You can loan him to Europe (with his consent) it has happened before and will continue to happen in the future. We could have loaned him to an AHL team too (like we did with Corvo). You can send him to the minors and either play him there or not dress him, again, it has happened before and will continue to happen in the future.

If the team couldn't convince him to be loaned to europe or another AHL club, and he didn't want to sit at home to collect his 3 mil (such poor treatment) then they could have bought him out.

And I am sooooo sure that treating players right was on the top of Dorion's mind when he waived Smith before the season started last year. UFA's will surely think poorly of us for not playing the goalie that played his way out of the lineup...

I mean there are tons of options if the player is in agreement and more besides.

But trading him away, and getting a sweater in the mix is a three way win,

Condon gets a bit better of a situation
We lessen the goalie log jam
EM saves a bit of dough
We get a slightly better draft position
PD gets a low five from EM for the slight savings

What’s not to like, I mean it’s a slight nod of approval given our enduring situation, which is better then stubbing your toe.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
They need a realistic goal to strive for. Making the playoffs at the NHL level, is not a realistic goal for this roster.

COMPETING for the playoffs. Stop trying to change the facts.

Also, where was all the outrage last season when Duchene said we could make the playoffs?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
COMPETING for the playoffs. Stop trying to change the facts.

Also, where was all the outrage last season when Duchene said we could make the playoffs?

When you're a bottom 5 team you are not competing for the playoffs.

Duchene was not the GM and was here against his will. He lied all the time.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The point is you can't compare the NHL franchise operated in the largest hockey market on the planet, with another NHL franchise in, if not the smallest, one of the smallest markets in the NHL .......at any point in their various stages.

You are right. Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton are all spending to the floor and losing huge amounts of money.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
The negativity won't go away until the organization proves it's priority is actually winning hockey games and not saving money. Today they did not prove that. That's just the unfortunate reality of cheering for this team right now.

Reactions: BonkTastic

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You don't get it, do you? Callahan is LTIR, and his salary doesn't count against the cap.

Marleau is healthy and would count against the cap, not comparable
Leafs only got a 4th rounder for taking Clarkson, but gave up Sparks, who has value
Arizona paid a draft pick to receive Pronger
Hossa trade had too many moving parts to have a direct comparison
Datsyuk is not comparable, he retired, he was not LTIR, his salary counted against the cap
"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did"
-CapFriendly

Oh swifty this is adorable. If you get down to the bottom of it. It looks like this.

Team in cap trouble ► ship off liability with incentive. I don't see why you are wasting your energy trying to break something down that is inherently simple to pump Pierre's tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad