Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did"
-CapFriendly

Oh swifty this is adorable. If you get down to the bottom of it. It looks like this.

Team in cap trouble ► ship off liability with incentive. I don't see why you are wasting your energy trying to break something down that is inherently simple to pump Pierre's tires.

So that's why the Leafs acquired Clarkson last week. The Leafs had so much cap space from the Marleau trade. Genius.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Yup. His Brassard move to Pittsburgh was so genius that the NHL initially rejected it because they thought he was circumventing the cap. They eventually accepted it and we walked away with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Gustavsson for Brassard (who got traded for a measley 3rd a year later).
Tell me what you think Zibanejad would return in a trade right now lol

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
It’s funny, he’s gaining a niche GM skill that no other GMs have or need to have.

If he ever gets a chance to build a team under regular constraints it would be neat to see what he could do.

Yeah I'm sure another owner will give him a job after this entire debacle...lmao
Maybe for his public speaking skills?

Reactions: Alex1234

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Can we just skip to the part where EM sells? :sarcasm:

I mean... Honestly, 90% of the time I do take a humourous approach to it. It's just that 10% of the time, youneed to point out these things WHEN they happen.

I'll be laughing about this in a week, because we really don't have any other choice. But the day these events occur, it deserves to at least be acknowledged what id happening here.
The very unnecessary media tour that Dorion went on today following this trade is extremely laughable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One of the most disingenuous things I’ve seen this board do over the last two years, is to start taking GM speak literally for the purposes of accusing the GM of ‘liar liar pants on fire’.

Every single GM of every team through out time does the same things. Some of it is even joked about, like the coaches ‘kiss of death’.

This push for manufactured indignance at us poor fans being lied to by the meanie GM, is curious to say the least.
So the person who is being disingenuos is the poster who identifies the bold face lie but not the liar.

Reactions: Alex1234

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Sure. Give him an amateur scouting job. He can watch 16 year olds in Red Deer. He shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL GMs office. He doesn't have the chops and he's a doormat. No one respects him.

Yeah, i figured that you meant GM 1 second before i saw you quote my post lol
My bad

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It was just another accounting move veiled in a hockey transaction to save Melnyk a couple million. We should be expecting nothing more at this point, it's clearly their main objective this off season to pay as little as possible. It's fine, but let's just not pretend this was a positive for anyone but Melnyk or that anyone should be under the assumption it will be re-invested in the future.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
giphy (5).gif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I mean there are tons of options if the player is in agreement and more besides.

But trading him away, and getting a sweater in the mix is a three way win,

Condon gets a bit better of a situation
We lessen the goalie log jam
EM saves a bit of dough
We get a slightly better draft position
PD gets a low five from EM for the slight savings

What’s not to like, I mean it’s a slight nod of approval given our enduring situation, which is better then stubbing your toe.

1. Condon may not be getting a better situation; McElhinney is certainly expected to play ahead of him in the NHL, and they already have 3 other minor league goalies under contract for next year in Domingue, Martin, and Wedgewood. If two of them outperform him, he's in the exact same situation as in Ottawa and would have to OK a loan to an ECHL team, or other non AHL/NHL team.
2. A logjam implies we have to play him, we don't.
3. If the insurance is not retroactive (which would be the most likely scenario) we do not save any money when compared with buying out Condon.
4. At the opportunity cost of making a different trade; there were likely better ways to do so and the difference between a 5th and 6th is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things
5. see point 3, we probably could have saved more by buying out Condon, but whatever.

I appreciate people wanting to put a positive spin on this trade, but frankly it looks far more like spinning our tires to me. Condon should have been bought out when we had the chance. Now we are paying the price to get rid of him instead of being paid to take on an LTIRetired contract.

Reactions: Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Quit speaking like HFBoards is the only place where you find disgruntled Sens fans, we are not 12 year olds from Toronto.

Most other places are nowhere near as bad as this place. Most are frustrated with Melnyk and the team's demise (as am I). But they won't go as far as to continually lie and misrepresent things like many here do.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Good trade. Saved Eugene real dollars.

Brb buying a STH package.

It appears that the t.v revenue alone covers the cost of the payroll.

WOW! Ottawa Senators TV deal worth up to $400M

Here is an article from 2014 articulating that the sens could get as much as 40 million in money from the T.V deals alone. Then you take into account things like revenue sharing and concerts and Eugene will actually make money without selling a single ticket this season.

But hey keep defending the deal everyone its just great! Where the sens could have aquired assets to make the team better its just an extra 2 million in Eugenes pocket while the team continually gets worse and worse.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pretty ironic statement given that most people tend to use common sense based on past occurrences to see the motives behind the moves that management has made over the last few seasons yet the select few chooses not to

Sorry, that was a bit cheeky and a one liner post to boot.

I agree, we’re all crazy!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Most other places are nowhere near as bad as this place. Most are frustrated with Melnyk and the team's demise (as am I). But they won't go as far as to continually lie and misrepresent things like many here do.

This is simply incorrect everyone feels this way especially when people talk about it face to face. Its people on the internet that hide behind an alias that argue about how there is nothing wrong and thats it. The internet lets anyone despite how wrong they are have a voice. Anyone that is pro melnyk may as well be flat earth while they are at it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How did the team get worse today?

They had an opportunity to get better and they didnt. Next time if you are going to quote me, take the entire post. This was not why I made the post and I made a very specific point you ignored on purpose.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is simply incorrect everyone feels this way especially when people talk about it face to face. Its people on the internet that hide behind an alias that argue about how there is nothing wrong and thats it. The internet lets anyone despite how wrong they are have a voice. Anyone that is pro melnyk may as well be flat earth while they are at it.

Is anyone even pro-Melnyk? I've never heard of such a thing.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It appears that the t.v revenue alone covers the cost of the payroll.

WOW! Ottawa Senators TV deal worth up to $400M

Here is an article from 2014 articulating that the sens could get as much as 40 million in money from the T.V deals alone. Then you take into account things like revenue sharing and concerts and Eugene will actually make money without selling a single ticket this season.

But hey keep defending the deal everyone its just great! Where the sens could have aquired assets to make the team better its just an extra 2 million in Eugenes pocket while the team continually gets worse and worse.
Melnyk really shouldn't be eligible for revenue sharing if he's going to have a payroll of $45 mil. That's ridiculous.

Melnyk's losses will be coming from the debt he has incurred, which is all his own doing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
They had an opportunity to get better and they didnt. Next time if you are going to quote me, take the entire post. This was not why I made the post and I made a very specific point you ignored on purpose.

They did not. I made a post that made a very specific point that you decided to ignore on purpose.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Lol ok. Twitter. Ever heard of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad