Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
fwiw, I doubt Callahan's insurance payments have kicked in yet. In past reports that doesn't happen until the player has missed 30 games, and Callahan was still playing at the end of this past season.

If that's the case then Ottawa should end up paying Callahan about $2.3m. So a net savings of $700k without Condon.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I find HF to be getting really, really tedious.

This post is exactly the point. Why pay 3 million dollars to a goalie you couldn't possibly have any less use for? So you get rid of him and get a player you don't have to pay nearly as much for.

That's not cheap, that's smart.

Melnyk saves 3.0 and we go from pick 158 to 153

Clubs 20 million below the flow... Melnyk pocketing money over this clubs future is all he does and it’s pathetic

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
In all likelihood, the Senators lowered the "sweetener" they got from the Lightning by including Condon.

They almost certainly could have made a trade like: Ottawa 6th for Callahan + Tampa 3rd if they didn't require Tampa to take any salary back.

So from a money perspective... sure, it's smart.

From a "rebuilding" perspective... another missed opportunity.

Is $3M dollars worth a 3rd round pick, and a chance at another Formenton or Batherson? Not to the Senators.

Meh, they're good drafters, they'll take the 5th rounder and try to hit another home run. We all know the deal with Melnyk, but I can't fault anyone for this trade.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So
Toronto also wants to sign Marner. We just want to save money. So to recap: Toronto for a better pick and will use the money. Ottawa when making this deal got a worse pick and will not be using cash for anything.

So you're comparing a team that has their "window" open for a deep run in the playoffs, and legitimate shot at the Cup........ with a team in their second year of a tear-down/re-build and are aiming to select as high as possible in the next two drafts.

iu

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I find HF to be getting really, really tedious.

This post is exactly the point. Why pay 3 million dollars to a goalie you couldn't possibly have any less use for? So you get rid of him and get a player you don't have to pay nearly as much for.

That's not cheap, that's smart.

Condon's contract SHOULD be an insignificant drop in the bucket, all things considered. We're tens of millions of dollars away from having to worry about his cap hit, and we're already dead last in the league in player expenditures.

We had an opportunity to take Callahan's cap hit on, in return for actual hockey assets. Instead, we used that opportunity to save money we didn't need, and have no plans on using. This isn't saving money now to spend later. This money won't get spent at all.

This trade makes no sense from a hockey point of view. None. And it ABSOLUTELY could have. It is 100% a missed opportunity to improve the futures of this team, and add a hockey asset.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
fwiw, I doubt Callahan's insurance payments have kicked in yet. In past reports that doesn't happen until the player has missed 30 games, and Callahan was still playing at the end of this past season.

If that's the case then Ottawa should end up paying Callahan about $2.3m. So a net savings of $700k without Condon.

Would insurance not reimburse a team for this expense retroactively? It's already known that Callahan won't be medically cleared to play.

Only getting 700k is very thin cash value. It's hardly worth doing the trade for that kind of meagre savings.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yeah, I was going to post this next.

We barely save anything.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Now or in the future? The 3m doesn't go out the door to Condon and can be used in the future for players we wish to pay

That actually seems quite simple really

Oxymoron..Melnyk's not paying any savings towards "future players we wish to pay".

It's a foregone conclusion that Melnyk's mandate has been to reduce payroll first, second, and third. Rebuild or youth development in the NHL is an after-thought.

Regardless, I see nothing wrong with this trade - reducing 3 NHL goalie contracts to 2 with Hoggie and Gus knocking on the door (more or less). Would have preferred Andy to get traded elsewhere where he had more chance to succeed, but then again he comes off the books after the season.

If I am Melnyk, I am high-fiving PD for doing such a cut-throat job of slashing funds.

If I am a fan, I am constantly high-fiving Melnyk on the face.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Meh, they're good drafters, they'll take the 5th rounder and try to hit another home run. We all know the deal with Melnyk, but I can't fault anyone for this trade.

What? They didn't even add a pick. They moved up by 4-8 spots. They could have kept their 6th and tried to "hit a home run".

It'd be one thing if they acquired an extra pick. Then you can say it's another lottery ticket. But they didn't.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Or, given that they aren't spending any money this season, they could have bought Condon out or demoted him to the ECHL and received a draft pick for doing TB the favour of taking Callahan's cap hit. Actually spend a bit of cash to add an asset and maybe improve the on-ice product for the future. The kind of thing that any rebuilding team with $42M in payroll expenditures would have done.

Given the choice to accomplish the same goal (shedding Condon from the NHL roster), and choosing the option that also saves money ............ I think most of us would do the same thing.

Yes the saved money is not spent as of right now, but when it is, at some point in the future, there will be number of posters that will trash Dorion for wasting that same money on whomever it is spent on.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Would insurance not reimburse a team for this expense retroactively? It's already known that Callahan won't be medically cleared to play.

Only getting 700k is very thin cash value. It's hardly worth doing the trade for that kind of meagre savings.

Unknown. My general experience with insurance waiting periods is they don't make retroactive payments. But it's possible to negotiate anything into a custom insurance contract if the premiums are high enough.

Reactions: Ouroboros

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
As per usual, any trade we make is about saving money so no surprise there.

What is insulting however is Dorion not mentioning to the media that ANY of these trades were financially motivated. Like it's just sad how pathetic Melnyk is that he won't even let Dorion be honest about the motivations of these trades and instead just blatantly lie (believed by no one mind you) to the fanbase.

Such a loser. I really hope Sens get smoked in the draft lottery this year because this kind of behaviour should not be encouraged.

I mean, clearing the goalie logjam is a positive, no? Seems like a win-win-win to me:

Clearing the goalie logjam = Win for the present
Improving the draft pick = (tiny) Win for the future
Saving salary dollars = Win for Melnyk

Where's the downside?

You guys so toxic you want to cut the nose to spite the face.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Given the choice to accomplish the same goal (shedding Condon from the NHL roster), and choosing the option that also saves money ............ I think most of us would do the same thing.

Yes the saved money is not spent as of right now, but when it is, at some point in the future, there will be number of posters that will trash Dorion for wasting that same money on whomever it is spent on.

I can't fathom a reason why most posters would prefer that the team with the lowest payroll in the NHL save an additional 2M than pick up a 3rd round pick or whatever. Are you Eugene Melnyk? Because he's literally the only person who benefits from the team's current MO.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I can't fathom a reason why most posters would prefer that the team with the lowest payroll in the NHL save an additional 2M than pick up a 3rd round pick or whatever. Are you Eugene Melnyk? Because he's literally the only person who benefits from the team's current MO.

Where does this 3rd round pick come from?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Where's the downside?

We had an asset (open cap space and a willingness to take on other team's cap problems) worth considerably more than what we got for it, and in doing so forced an asset the other team didn't even want (Condon's cap hit), rather than take on an actual asset that would have helped us in the future AND in the rebuild.

That's not toxic. That's just constructive, objective criricism.

Reactions: Sureves

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Unknown. My general experience with insurance waiting periods is they don't make retroactive payments. But it's possible to negotiate anything into a custom insurance contract if the premiums are high enough.

Appreciate the clarifications.

Sounds brutal though, and it makes this trade look particularly dire for Ottawa. If we're only saving the equivalent of a league minimum salary then we should have gotten much more in return than jumping up a handful of picks in the later rounds of a draft.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Taking Callahan's cap hit on had value to TB. We opted to accept that value in the form of them taking on Condon's cap hit and salary. Presumably, had we just kept Condon, there would have been an actual asset on the table as compensation.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Tampa Bay. If they weren't required to take salary back, Dorion likely could have extracted more value when taking on Callahan's contract. For example, what could have happened:

Ottawa trades 2020 6th round pick to Tampa for Ryan Callahan and 2020 3rd round pick
Ottawa buys out Mike Condon

Ottawa would get a better pick AND gets rid of Condon!

But it costs them a couple mil instead of saving a couple mil, so no dice.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Taking Callahan's cap hit on had value to TB. We opted to accept that value in the form of them taking on Condon's cap hit and salary. Presumably, had we just kept Condon, there would have been an actual asset on the table as compensation.

So your imagination.

Got it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Mock trade at his best.

Another news, Another storm as usual.
Nothing mock about it.

Condon did not need to be included whatsoever, Tampa has zero use for him as they already have 4 goalies, and it goes against what they were trying trying to do. Including him for the sake of getting rid of his salary clearly dropped the asset we received.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So

So you're comparing a team that has their "window" open for a deep run in the playoffs, and legitimate shot at the Cup........ with a team in their second year of a tear-down/re-build and are aiming to select as high as possible in the next two drafts.

iu

How is a window going to open when we spend less than most MLS teams? Did Toronto try to save money when they were missing the playoffs most years like we are? No. Has any team done what we have done? Maybe Arizona. Maybe. And they've stopped doing that. We have better ticket prices, TV deals and fan support than Arizona.

It's one thing to be cautious with money... that's not happening here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad