Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As per usual, any trade we make is about saving money so no surprise there.

What is insulting however is Dorion not mentioning to the media that ANY of these trades were financially motivated. Like it's just sad how pathetic Melnyk is that he won't even let Dorion be honest about the motivations of these trades and instead just blatantly lie (believed by no one mind you) to the fanbase.

Such a loser. I really hope Sens get smoked in the draft lottery this year because this kind of behaviour should not be encouraged.

Personally I’d rather he not share that kind of stuff in the media.

I’d also rather that the players didn’t have to hear that kind of stuff from management in the media.

Every fan base deals with GM Speak, and I suspect that PD would much rather be able to do his job without crushing financial restraints.

We’re all adults here, we shouldn’t need the obvious trotted out in the media.

He’ll be gone one day, and we’ll all laugh about these times. The thing about dark days is that you have to live through them.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Come in peace, but a serious question.

Why the hell would any fan continue to support this team financially with season tickets or going to games? Drive this moron out.

It’s beyond obvious this organization is influenced in a negative way by a meddling owner who either cannot, or isn’t willing to spend the appropriate amount of money needed to make an NHL team successful.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sure, I'm not defending Dorion at all here, but we've been calling for Condon to be bought out all year. Instead he gets traded for a deal that would cost us less money than buying him out, and we get a slight pick improvement. I'm just saying it's a good deal, there's a million different things we could be *****ing about.

We didn't need to do ANYTHING with Condon, though. I guarantee Tampa would have preferred to gove us real hockey assets instead of taking back $2.4mil in cap hit. They needed to dump money, not take more back.

We could have made a hockey trade. Instead, we used an opportunity to get real assets back and instead insisted that they take back a contract that we 100% didn't need to get rid of from a hockey ops perspective.

It's just another reminder that this organizarion values saving money over actual positive hockey decisions. And it's depressing.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
We didn't need to do ANYTHING with Condon, though. I guarantee Tampa would have preferred to gove us real hockey assets instead of taking back $2.4mil in cap hit. They needed to dump money, not take more back.

We could have made a hockey trade. Instead, we used an opportunity to get real assets back and instead insisted that they take back a contract that we 100% didn't need to get rid of from a hockey ops perspective.

It's just another reminder that this organizarion values saving money over actual positive hockey decisions. And it's depressing.

Very well said.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Dorion loses all leverage in this type of deal because opposing GM's know this actually benefits our situation.

The cap is irrelevant because we don't spend to it anyway and we save money. In the context of an owner that is giving as little money as possible to the team while simultaneously reaching the cap floor, it's a win.

So when Dorion goes to ask for a high pick they laugh and say you have no power here (In a Theodeon LOTR 2 voice)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To be fair, Toronto just took a very similar contract to Callahan and only got a 4th round pick. The market has been reset. It used to be a 2nd, it isn't anymore.

I get people being upset with the state we are in where we are trying to build a team that is well below the cap floor. I'm not arguing against that. But in the context of what our team is, as sad as it is, this is a very good trade.
How is this a good trade? Cap space is a very valuable asset, the sens moved 1 to 5 spots in the draft around the 176th pick. Its pathetic and just shows this has nothing to do with being competitive. Anyone contributing any money to this team is part of the problem.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
It's stupid that he'll even get revenue sharing. The gate revenue + TV deal will more than make up for the salary expenditure. It's not the league's fault he's so tied up in debt.

The league should let him rot.

I agree but it's mind blowing the league would allow him to operate the franchise like this

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
The downside is that the Condon extension was not even necessary. It was horrible asset management and they should never have been in this position to begin with. Now the GM gets to erase another one of his many mistakes. Dorion deserves no credit for cleaning up his messes.

Hindsight is 20/20

Not signing Condon meant keeping Hammond on the roster or having to sign another backup.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
"We are obligated to meet the salary cap floor"

-The Ottawa Senators

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I bet Point eliminates us from the PO in 5 years (if we ever get in the PO ever again that is)

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I have to give Dorion credit: reaching the 60M cap floor with only $42M in actual payroll expenditures is legit impressive.

It's a terrible way to rebuild the team, and everyone involved should be ashamed, but he's doing a fantastic job of saving Melnyk money.

We all thought he was just a scout. Apparently he's also a master of accounting and finance.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The problem is that the asset acquired in this deal ($2M in cash) won't actually be used to help the team. A team with a real owner would have taken Callahan without sending Condon, and received a 3rd or something in exchange.

A team with a 'real owner' would not have the cap space to take on a contract such as Callahan's due to the assumption that said team with a wealthier owner would spend more money to present a more competitive on-ice NHL roster.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The problem is that the asset acquired in this deal ($2M in cash) won't actually be used to help the team. A team with a real owner would have taken Callahan without sending Condon, and received a 3rd or something in exchange.

The goal, for Ottawa, was to get rid of Condon, one of three goaltender they had on one-way contracts.

Also was able to move up a round in the draft.

Mission accomplished.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They aren't comparable. Vegas would have been fine with Clarkson on LTIR, since (until after the trade and Engellund was signed), they had no possible performance bonus overages.

Tampa Bay has a bunch of ELCs and possible bonus overages if they use LTIR.

Toronto wanted Clarkson, while Tampa wanted to rid themselves of Callahan, big difference.

Toronto also wants to sign Marner. We just want to save money. So to recap: Toronto for a better pick and will use the money. Ottawa when making this deal got a worse pick and will not be using cash for anything.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The goal, for Ottawa, was to get rid of Condon, one of three goaltender they had on one-way contracts.

Mission accomplished.

I find HF to be getting really, really tedious.

This post is exactly the point. Why pay 3 million dollars to a goalie you couldn't possibly have any less use for? So you get rid of him and get a player you don't have to pay nearly as much for.

That's not cheap, that's smart.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Mission accomplished.

Why was the goal to get rid of Condon?

We could have easily buried him in the ECHL, or loaned him to another AHL team, if we needed to create space for younger goalies. His $2.4 million cap hit was negligible, considering how much cap room we have.

We could then have still taken Callahan off the Lightning's hands, while extracting more value (probably a 3rd round pick), if we didn't require them to take any salary back.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I find HF to be getting really, really tedious.

This post is exactly the point. Why pay 3 million dollars to a goalie you couldn't possibly have any less use for? So you get rid of him and get a player you don't have to pay nearly as much for.

That's not cheap, that's smart.

In all likelihood, the Senators lowered the "sweetener" they got from the Lightning by including Condon.

They almost certainly could have made a trade like: Ottawa 6th for Callahan + Tampa 3rd if they didn't require Tampa to take any salary back.

So from a money perspective... sure, it's smart.

From a "rebuilding" perspective... another missed opportunity.

Is $3M dollars worth a 3rd round pick, and a chance at another Formenton or Batherson? Not to the Senators.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Mission accomplished.

Or, given that they aren't spending any money this season, they could have bought Condon out or demoted him to the ECHL and received a draft pick for doing TB the favour of taking Callahan's cap hit. Actually spend a bit of cash to add an asset and maybe improve the on-ice product for the future. The kind of thing that any rebuilding team with $42M in payroll expenditures would have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad