Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Callahan + pick for Condon + pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
We’re literally talking about moving up 1-2 spots at best in the draft considering where both teams are expected to be. It’s a complete wash to send the picks and almost feels unnecessarily don’t to save face that we received an ‘assett’ to take Callahan

That’s what I was thinking Pick 156 and 158-159 swamp... it’s ridiculous

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We’re literally talking about moving up 1-2 spots at best in the draft considering where both teams are expected to be. It’s a complete wash to send the picks and almost feels unnecessarily don’t to save face that we received an ‘assett’ to take Callahan

Bingo.

The asset is the money and also to a much lesser extent the extra cap buffer we add that gives us flexibility if we trade away big cap contracts mid season (Anderson, Boedker, Pageau)

I also think Pierre Dorion's burner account has spent too much time reading our trade proposals that include a swap of picks to roast him, so he felt he had to finally win one.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's literally no downside to this we get the better pick, save cash, and create some room for our goalie prospects. Can we save being mad for things that are worth being mad about?

I think people are mad that our NHL team has the same player budget as the Timbits hockey squad that players between the periods at the 67s games.

This is a very good trade in the context of what our team is, but I think it's just another reminder to people about where our team is actually at right now, and that upsets them.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
There's literally no downside to this we get the better pick, save cash, and create some room for our goalie prospects. Can we save being mad for things that are worth being mad about?
The downside is that the Condon extension was not even necessary. It was horrible asset management and they should never have been in this position to begin with. Now the GM gets to erase another one of his many mistakes. Dorion deserves no credit for cleaning up his messes.

Oct 10, 2010
I think people are mad that our NHL team has the same player budget as the Timbits hockey squad that players between the periods at the 67s games.

This is a very good trade in the context of what our team is, but I think it's just another reminder to people about where our team is actually at right now, and that upsets them.
It will always be this way until Melnyk dies unless you really believe these lying scums.

Reactions: Kallio

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

The problem is that the asset acquired in this deal ($2M in cash) won't actually be used to help the team. A team with a real owner would have taken Callahan without sending Condon, and received a 3rd or something in exchange.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
The downside is that extension was not even necessary. It was horrible asset management and they should never have been in this position to begin with. Now the GM gets to erase another one of his many mistakes. Dorion deserves no credit for cleaning up his messes.
Sure, I'm not defending Dorion at all here, but we've been calling for Condon to be bought out all year. Instead he gets traded for a deal that would cost us less money than buying him out, and we get a slight pick improvement. I'm just saying it's a good deal, there's a million different things we could be bitching about.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Oct 10, 2010
The downside is that the Condon extension was not even necessary. It was horrible asset management and they should never have been in this position to begin with. Now the GM gets to erase another one of his many mistakes. Dorion deserves no credit for cleaning up his messes.
I rather not save 2M and a swap of 6th and 5th round picks to help our division rivals out personally.

the trade isn't good from that stand point IMO.

Let Tamps suffer unless they are going to give us a great piece in return.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I mean, I don't care because Condon was useless, but can we get a transaction that is actually geared at improving the on ice product now or in the future?

Jesus, every move they make is about money and basically nothing else.

This must be the most extreme cap circumvention we've ever seen? Has there ever been a team spending about 70% of the cap floor in actual spending?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I am pretty sure if we do get the number one draft pick, some people will be still crying for bloody murder. :speechles

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I mean, I don't care because Condon was useless, but can we get a transaction that is actually geared at improving the on ice product now or in the future?

This must be the most extreme cap circumvention we've ever seen? Has there ever been a team spending about 70% of the cap floor in actual spending?
Maybe, I have no idea. Most people don't care enough about the garbage teams at the floor to remember or talk about.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
To be fair, Toronto just took a very similar contract to Callahan and only got a 4th round pick. The market has been reset. It used to be a 2nd, it isn't anymore.

I get people being upset with the state we are in where we are trying to build a team that is well below the cap floor. I'm not arguing against that. But in the context of what our team is, as sad as it is, this is a very good trade.

Sure, in isolation. And maybe we have not hit the LTIR limit yet...

But there is a limit to this strategy. You can't field a team of 21, 1 mil contracts and expect any of those rookies to develop properly. There must be a limit where money on the ice is more important to the rebuild than money saved in LTIR. I'm not saying Condon is a key guy to have around, but surely there is a benefit to having some veteran guys around that actually are bought into the rebuild. Right now all I see are:

1) opportunistic vets that care nothing about the rebuild and will only be worrying about getting enough ice-time to earn a ticket to a contender at the TDL,
2) washed up vets that will be retired well before the team is good again,
3) Pending UFAs that likely won't resign with Ott,
4) Nikita Zaitsev

So that 15 mil might have earned us a couple picks and in theory money saved for future years player budget (yeah right)...but it is not helping us at all on/off the ice in terms of the rebuild.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Right. It's about having a floundering team that will be 31st.

Circumventing or playing a really good game of accounting? It's the latter. The big teams are doing the same with bonuses. It's just the polar opposite.

Reactions: coladin

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Right. It's about having a floundering team that will be 31st.

Circumventing or playing a really good game of accounting? It's the latter. The big teams are doing the same with bonuses. It's just the polar opposite.
It's of no benefit to anyone other than Melnyk though. How are moves like this beneficial to the Ottawa Senators on ice product now or in the future? It's about saving more money and that's it, whoopdif***ingdoo, aren't we low enough yet?

Who cares at this point, but it's pretty damn hilarious to see a team so far below the floor still focusing their efforts on spending even less.

I guess if you're insane enough to think this is coming back around and being re-invested...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It's of no benefit to anyone other than Melnyk though. How are moves like this beneficial to the Ottawa Senators on ice product now or in the future? It's about saving more money and that's it, whoopdi****ingdoo, aren't we low enough yet?
I have no inside info, but I still have a hard time seeing how the team won't be sold soon. It's the perfect situation for any new owner to have this kind of payroll. Either that or money is being saved to afford the money on new extensions for our core stars.

Reactions: Gesus
Oct 10, 2010
It's of no benefit to anyone other than Melnyk though. How are moves like this beneficial to the Ottawa Senators on ice product now or in the future? It's about saving more money and that's it, whoopdi****ingdoo, aren't we low enough yet?
Melynk nut suckers will try and find a postive already it see it.
big f***ing deal we swapped a 6th or 5th while Melnyks pockets $2M for his next failed business while helping Tampa out big time in the process.

Reactions: Rand0m

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
To be fair, Toronto just took a very similar contract to Callahan and only got a 4th round pick. The market has been reset. It used to be a 2nd, it isn't anymore.

I get people being upset with the state we are in where we are trying to build a team that is well below the cap floor. I'm not arguing against that. But in the context of what our team is, as sad as it is, this is a very good trade.
They aren't comparable. Vegas would have been fine with Clarkson on LTIR, since (until after the trade and Engellund was signed), they had no possible performance bonus overages.

Tampa Bay has a bunch of ELCs and possible bonus overages if they use LTIR.

Toronto wanted Clarkson, while Tampa wanted to rid themselves of Callahan, big difference.

Oct 10, 2010
I have no inside info, but I still have a hard time seeing how the team won't be sold soon. It's the perfect situation for any new owner to have this kind of payroll. Either that or money is being saved to afford the money on new extensions for our core stars.
Or this is our new normal for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad