Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Bobby Ryan (for Silfverberg, Noesen, 2014 1st)

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Bottom line is it's to quick to judge whether he'll re-sign.

He may love Ottawa and re-sign.
He may want to test the market.

We'll get a better gauge after his first year here.

Milan the God*

Yeah.

He's not a UFA for two more years. It's pointless debating about if he'll re-sign or not because he can't even re-sign for another year. Enjoy him and his play for his first season as a Senator and then start worrying about re-signing him.

John Holmes*

I'd say you're missing quite a bit.

Like the fact that Ryan is his mother's maiden name, and that the family lived under aliases because his father was wanted for beating the crap out of his mother.

His father was good friends with Bobby Clark and Ryan grew up a Philly fan.

Kind of like the Spezza will be a Leaf type fears.

There is a long article floating around somewhere with all the details.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011

BM will try to extend him next off-season (a year before his contract expires), like Pit did w/ Letang & Phi did w/Giroux.

If he won't sign, he'll be trade bait. You'll get a pretty good return for a year of Bobby Ryan on a great contract price. + add conditional extra picks if he signs with the new team.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The only way Ottawa wins this deal is if they resign Ryan for 5 years and have him for his entire prime - that and the other part of it is Spezza becomes Captain and will be re-signed because we have 2 legit top 3 wingers for him to play with

John Holmes*

Really I can see many ways that we win this deal.

1) People realize that Jakub Silfverberg sucks.
2) Noesen who regressed in Junior never makes the NHL
3) The pick is #30 overall.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Seems like the Sens think they will be giving up three 2nd/3rd line players in return for one 1st line player. If that is the case, given our depth and abundance of top 9 players, I think this turns out to be a great deal. Especially if Ryan hits 40.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
For some reason, every time i hear the name bobby ryan, i think of ricky bobby. So every time ryan scores, we should chant shake and bake. ;)

Last edited:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
His favorite go-to move in the shootout/breakaway is the EXACT same as Silfverbergs.

Honestly his release is about as fast too:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Are you saying the NHL is going to give them back their penalized 1st rounder from the Kovalchuk cap-circumvention signing?

I'll take that bet.

Anyone want to confirm as witness?

I'd like to think the NHL would give the pick back because at this point in time taking it would be just cruel

But yeah, that ain't happening

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
As much as I am going to love Ryan, losing Silfverberg really really sucks. Ryan better put up 80 point seasons which he is more than capable of.

You give, you get. I hope Silfverberg is great in Anaheim. Though I still hate the Ducks from 2007!

Hindsight looking back at trades is fruitless. I think it was a good trade and you always make this trade. Silfverberg could be a great scorer. But 30 goals in his last 6 seasons and only 26 years old. Former 2nd overall pick. You just have to make the deal.

I seriously think that IF Spezza is healthy, Ryan has a shot at 40 goals this year. He gets to finally breakout to be the #1 option, play 20+ mins a night. Maybe PK a bit with Spezza. I would use them as a Duo and rotate LWers in and whoever is hot is with them.

I LOVE the idea of Duos. Spezza-Ryan Turris-MacArthur Pageau-Condra Smith Neil
Zinbanejad is a wildcard and could centre Smith and Neil or play wing on any line. LW just rotates until the best lines emerge.

Imagine if the team felt comfortable enough to do these two things on defence. Pair Cowen with Karlsson. Second, believe enough in Gryba to pair him in a shutdown role with Methot. This may not happen until later in the season after Gryba and Cowen show they are playing well. Then the bottom pair is Phillips/Wiercioch- Corvo. Wiercioch or Corvo play the PP.

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan - scoring line 1
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek - Scoring line 2
Smith - Zibanead - Neil - Physical Banging line (hopefully with some offence)
Greening - Pageau - Condra - Energy "pesky" line

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiercioch - Corvo
Philips

Or if it is the playoffs and you need to be Morseo Defensive

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Smith - Zibanead - Condra - Shut down line
Conacher - Pageau - Neil - Super Energy "pesky" Line

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Corvo

Murray did an amazing job getting Ryan, and MacArthur and Corvo for $900K!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad