Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Bobby Ryan (for Silfverberg, Noesen, 2014 1st)

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Curious how good our chances are of actually resigning him?

Do you guys think Murray talked about a contract extension with him prior to making the trade?

As of today, probably like 10%. But we have 2 years to convince him that staying in Ottawa would be a good idea.

GuineaPig

Jul 11, 2011
Montréal
Ryan's last contract he negotiated personally IIRC, because he wanted to stay in Anaheim.

It's not too fanciful to suggest that if he takes a liking to Ottawa (and he seems grateful for the trade) that he would be dead-set on staying here.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Curious how good our chances are of actually resigning him?

Do you guys think Murray talked about a contract extension with him prior to making the trade?

I don't think Murray would have made the trade if he didn't think we could keep him.

Hard to predict the future but if things "click" for him here and the team is doing well I don't see why he wouldn't resign.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think Murray would have made the trade if he didn't think we could keep him.

Hard to predict the future but if things "click" for him here and the team is doing well I don't see why he wouldn't resign.

Pretty much

Murray wouldn't send a good rookie a 1st rounder and a solid prospect if he didn't think he's got a good chance at retaining Ryan

It'll be interesting to see how well Ryan does in his first year because I have to think that next off season will see Murray work really hard to keep him in Ottawa

As long as he gets top line minutes, produces and the team makes the playoffs and plays well I'm confidant about our chances of retaining him

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't agree at all with those who say he'll leave the Sens in a couple years. Bobby is the type who really needs to feel that he's wanted and has a place on the team. Of course, I could be wrong, but if he feels he's got a good thing going with the Senators, I get the feeling he will be there for quite a while.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't agree at all with those who say he'll leave the Sens in a couple years. Bobby is the type who really needs to feel that he's wanted and has a place on the team. Of course, I could be wrong, but if he feels he's got a good thing going with the Senators, I get the feeling he will be there for quite a while.

I'm sure they'll play it by ear. If we're cup contenders I'm sure players in general will just want to be here.

Milan the God*

As of today, probably like 10%. But we have 2 years to convince him that staying in Ottawa would be a good idea.

10%? Why?

He knows the Sens really like him and think the world of him, having just traded a 1st round pick, good prospect and good young NHL roster player.

He's friends with a few in the Ottawa area, knows Tim Murray, gets the chance to play consistently with Spezza and a nice first power play unit, can play with Karlsson and in front of a hungry fanbase.

If we traded for Ryan and he could be extended right now, I think we'd look him up for 4 years and he would sign the papers.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be very surprised if he doesn't re-sign here

Just like we were all very surprised when Alfie didn't re-sign?

I think it'd be best to try and extend him next year, see how that goes and then you have a feeling as to how far appart you are at the deadline 2 years down the road.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
10%? Why?

He knows the Sens really like him and think the world of him, having just traded a 1st round pick, good prospect and good young NHL roster player.

He's friends with a few in the Ottawa area, knows Tim Murray, gets the chance to play consistently with Spezza and a nice first power play unit, can play with Karlsson and in front of a hungry fanbase.

If we traded for Ryan and he could be extended right now, I think we'd look him up for 4 years and he would sign the papers.

Agreed. The whole idea of him definitely being Philly-bound is really overblown IMO. Everyone seems to forget that he was answering specific questions about possibly being traded there, and after being dogged by trade rumours for months and months.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
Stop thinking that we won't be able to sign him.

It's probably like 80% chance that we will right now. In his interviews he praised Maclean enough times that I'm pretty sure he pops a semi every time he thinks of playing under Paulmac with Karlsson and Spezza, and he also said that Ottawa's beautiful and that it's the type of city he loves. You could say he's even a Sens fan, he said he watched a bunch of our games last season.

The guy played in Owen Sound for god sakes, the Siberia of the OHL. A place where some players even refuse to get drafted to. And not only did Ryan not complain, he LOVED it there and was a big part of their community.

I have no doubt that if he doesn't run into any trouble here, it's almost 100% that he resigns with us. After reading the TSN story to get a scoop on his life, it's just the type of guy he is and it's hard to say otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3782270

Guy loves a small town that's you could escape outdoors in. Guess what? Ottawa fits his bill perfectly. We're a nice sized city with a small town feel.

Cruz

May 17, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, and he even came to the incredibly small and i guess for people of big cities boring town of Mora, Sweden to play during the lockout. Certainly to play with Anze Kopitar, but still. Very small town and the second highest league in Sweden.

He even loved it here from what i have heard, and he still have contacts with many players from the team. He even invited some of them over to watch some playoff-games earlier this year. Seems like a really likeable guy.

I aint concerned. If not something drastic happens he will love it in Ottawa.

And yeah, i really like this trade. He will produce, especially with the help of Spezza and Karlsson. He has a "thing" for standing in the right place and just smack it in. Except MANY rebound-goals from Karlssons shots.

A little sad to loose Silfverberg since he is a personal favorite, i am sure he will be a great player in this league someday. But maybe not in Ryans standards. But thats life, you gotta give something to get something.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Perry is probably also not available - unless the offer was a steep overpayment.

Ryan was offered and we won him, I'm glad we were the ones to come away with a star player who had rumors surrounding him.

As for signing or him bolting - I'll worry about it in a year or so and if Spezza-Ryan mesh, I can't see why he'd leave as long as the contract gave him close to market price with the security (long term 6-8 years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad