Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Bobby Ryan (for Silfverberg, Noesen, 2014 1st)

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
You give, you get. I hope Silfverberg is great in Anaheim. Though I still hate the Ducks from 2007!

Hindsight looking back at trades is fruitless. I think it was a good trade and you always make this trade. Silfverberg could be a great scorer. But 30 goals in his last 6 seasons and only 26 years old. Former 2nd overall pick. You just have to make the deal.

I seriously think that IF Spezza is healthy, Ryan has a shot at 40 goals this year. He gets to finally breakout to be the #1 option, play 20+ mins a night. Maybe PK a bit with Spezza. I would use them as a Duo and rotate LWers in and whoever is hot is with them.

I LOVE the idea of Duos. Spezza-Ryan Turris-MacArthur Pageau-Condra Smith Neil
Zinbanejad is a wildcard and could centre Smith and Neil or play wing on any line. LW just rotates until the best lines emerge.

Imagine if the team felt comfortable enough to do these two things on defence. Pair Cowen with Karlsson. Second, believe enough in Gryba to pair him in a shutdown role with Methot. This may not happen until later in the season after Gryba and Cowen show they are playing well. Then the bottom pair is Phillips/Wiercioch- Corvo. Wiercioch or Corvo play the PP.

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan - scoring line 1
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek - Scoring line 2
Smith - Zibanead - Neil - Physical Banging line (hopefully with some offence)
Greening - Pageau - Condra - Energy "pesky" line

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Wiercioch - Corvo
Philips

Or if it is the playoffs and you need to be Morseo Defensive

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Smith - Zibanead - Condra - Shut down line
Conacher - Pageau - Neil - Super Energy "pesky" Line

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Corvo

Murray did an amazing job getting Ryan, and MacArthur and Corvo for $900K!

Your forward lines I think are exactly how the season will start, but I expect that one of Stone/Hoffman will make a push for a roster spot, fairly early on.

Also, I don’t mind Zibanejad playing with Neil and Smith, as long as he gets some Powerplay time. Playing along side Neil will help develop his physical play, and the combination of Neil and Smith should create some time and space for Mika to do his thing.

I think I read that MacArthur can play the point on the PP. So for PP unit 2, I would like to see:

Turris-Zibanejad-Conacher (Turris and Conacher available for one-timers if they play on their “off†wing)
MacArthur-Weircioch

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No chance in my opinion they get that pick back. They lost it because of their actions during the signing of Kovy's 1st contract, whether or not Kovy left doesn't change the fact they circumvented the cap on that initial deal.
I agree that they shouldn't, but I think Lou who is a brilliant GM all things considered wouldn't pick at #29 if he didn't think they'd get it back.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
I agree that they shouldn't, but I think Lou who is a brilliant GM all things considered wouldn't pick at #29 if he didn't think they'd get it back.

But he didn't know then that Kovy would walk. So if he picked at 29 two years ago thinking he would get it back for other reasons, then it shouldn't have taken this long for them to give it back to him.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa

On another note, he may have really like a few players around the 29 spot that season, thinking that in a few years from that point, he would still have a pick in the 20-30 range so the difference wouldn't have been that great. He would never forecast a potential lottery pick just 2 years removed from the SCF.

12Gage09

Jul 14, 2013
London
Losing Alfie, Getting Bobby Ryan... Screw Alfie. Sens just got so much better. I don't think I'm getting ahead of myself when I say the Sens are a Cup Contender IF everyone stays healthy.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
My only worry about Ryan is consistency. I know he is very talented but Silfverberg played his best every shift and if he wasn't scoring he was contributing another way. Hopefully we don't have consistency issues with Ryan, that's my only major concern especially since it's what I keep hearing about from Anaheim fans.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
My only worry about Ryan is consistency. I know he is very talented but Silfverberg played his best every shift and if he wasn't scoring he was contributing another way. Hopefully we don't have consistency issues with Ryan, that's my only major concern especially since it's what I keep hearing about from Anaheim fans.

Bobby's team was holding him back. He has a ton of talent, but behind Perry and Getzlaf he's never had the chance to consistently play top-forward minutes. In fact, last season he and Silfverberg both averaged only 16 minutes a game, despite Ryan being a 4-time 30+ goal scorer and a 1-time 70+ point player.

Note: Ryan's 71 point season was the only season he averaged more then 19 minutes of ice-time a game. :handclap:

It should be fun watching Ryan get the opportunity to be the go-to-man for once in his career. I can see him becoming a very, very dangerous player with a full-time role beside Spezzini. And did I mention the kid's only 3 years older then Silfverberg?? :yo:

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
With the loss of Alfie, I wasn't able to truly get excited over the acquisition of Ryan. But as time goes on, I can't wait for the season to start, so we can watch this kid light the lamp. I have a really good feeling about him. He should have great chemistry with Spezz.

This team will be extremely dangerous if Spezza and Karlsson (and Michalek) can stay relatively healthy. But at the same time, it just got harder to make the playoffs, especially with Detroit in our division. Should be interesting.. Can't wait!

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
30 mins in counting until Ryan arrives in Ottawa. Can't wait to see a legitimate interview on Sens TV.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
30 mins in counting until Ryan arrives in Ottawa. Can't wait to see a legitimate interview on Sens TV.

I want to see a press conference where the sens organization formally welcome bobby ryan and clarke macarthur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad