Confirmed with Link: Sens acquire Bobby Ryan (for Silfverberg, Noesen, 2014 1st)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Because I was not expecting a big move like that.

It was not really surprising to me too be honest. I kind of knew that bm would trade some of our prospects away eventually for a player like bobby ryan. It just came sooner then expected.

alfierulestheworld

Apr 19, 2012
My only worry about Ryan is consistency. I know he is very talented but Silfverberg played his best every shift and if he wasn't scoring he was contributing another way. Hopefully we don't have consistency issues with Ryan, that's my only major concern especially since it's what I keep hearing about from Anaheim fans.

It may change with age, but i found silf to be a perimeter player, and it really showed in the playoffs. Right now he was unwilling to go to the tough areas in the offensive zone. I like the trade, although losing the first hurts.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It may change with age, but i found silf to be a perimeter player, and it really showed in the playoffs. Right now he was unwilling to go to the tough areas in the offensive zone. I like the trade, although losing the first hurts.

We really won't know how much losing the first pick hurts until the season is over. If it is a top 10 pick (highly unlikely by the way), then of course it will badly hurt us. If it is any higher, then it really will not hurt us as much as losing a top 10 pick. I personally predict it will be a draft pick between 15-30.

Last edited:

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
I'm not sure if I missed it or not but what did Silf say about getting traded? Does he have any interview at all about the trade and playing with Anaheim? I think he will be a great player and the Sens will miss him but it all depends on if we can sign Bobby Ryan. If we can't, we loss the deal easily, but if we can sign him then we probably won it. Hard to say until Silf develops more.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Bobby Ryan verified
My first meal in town and @GongshowGear and @28CGiroux make me buy? #seemsunfair #66millalligatorarms

Well.... Ryan to Philly in 2 years. E5.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
or Giroux to Ottawa E99

Yeah, I like that scenario.

Giroux goes to Paul Holmgren and demands a trade to Ottawa. We offer an Iginla-like return, and acquire him to play with Ryan.

Spezza can play with Michalek and Greening.

:sarcasm:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is an interesting topic. Is Ryan getting a Gongshow sponsorship or did he already have one? That company is based out of Ottawa. Could be a nice little tic in the PRO column for the Sens when he's ready to make a decision on his next contract.

Milan the God*

This is an interesting topic. Is Ryan getting a Gongshow sponsorship or did he already have one? That company is based out of Ottawa. Could be a nice little tic in the PRO column for the Sens when he's ready to make a decision on his next contract.

As Tim Murray said, Bobby Ryan has a lot of roots in the city. He knows lots of people and has some established friendships. Another reason I'm not really worried he'll re-sign.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
As Tim Murray said, Bobby Ryan has a lot of roots in the city. He knows lots of people and has some established friendships. Another reason I'm not really worried he'll re-sign.

It is too bad that we have to wait until next offseason to see if he gets extended. :(

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC

Nah, he's been good friends with them for a long time, they actually broke the news that he had been traded with a phone call to him. :laugh:

John Holmes*

I'm not sure if I missed it or not but what did Silf say about getting traded? Does he have any interview at all about the trade and playing with Anaheim? I think he will be a great player and the Sens will miss him but it all depends on if we can sign Bobby Ryan. If we can't, we loss the deal easily, but if we can sign him then we probably won it. Hard to say until Silf develops more.

If we win back to back Cups and Ryan walks, is it still a loss?

ErikNorrisson

Mar 22, 2012
He'll be doing a ton of interviews this AM. I believe he is headed to Senators Summer Camp to work with some kids as well.

CBC Radio One Ottawa at 7:45AM
CTV Ottawa Morning Live at 8:00 AM

580CFRA at 8:20AM
TEAM1200 at 8:30AM Link
SensTV

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I had heard that his past was tough, but man I had no idea:

http://espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3782270

I teared up a bit. What a brave freaking kid. He must have an iron will .

When people face adversity like that at a young age, they go in one of two directions - they either curl up into a ball, or they develop a tough shell and fight back. He obviously went in the latter direction. Brian Burke interviewed him for that draft in Anaheim and developed an instant affinity for him. Say what you like about Burke, but his eye for talent and character is usually pretty solid.

As for Silfverberg, he's going to be a very solid, productive second line player, but he's not going to become "THAT guy". He is 22 going on 23, which people sometimes forget - they thought he was 19 or 20 last year, but the reality is that he spent his growth years in the SEL. He still has some development left in him, but not a lot - by the time a guy reaches his early 20s, what you see offensively is largely what you are going to get. Guys will round out their games defensively in their late 20s, (Steve Yzerman, Jason Spezza to a degree) but their God given ability to generate offense is either there, or it isn't. Bobby Ryan is a pure goal scorer, something this club badly lacked. Two weeks later, and I like this trade more than ever...

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Reading about Silver's media scrum and subsequent retreat back to Idaho, I remembered seeing these a while back.

Sorry if it's a repost.

He should get along great with Paulrus.
hf6m.jpg

Beauty.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
Reading about Silver's media scrum and subsequent retreat back to Idaho, I remembered seeing these a while back.

Sorry if it's a repost.

He should get along great with Paulrus.
hf6m.jpg

Beauty.

Well at least he can sweat out all the "toxins" in the steam room after getting loaded in the wine cellar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad