Confirmed with Link: Sens Acquire Anders Nilsson and Darren Archibald from Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Pickard isnt really an equivalent option and we still had Andy then

Pickard has been the worst goalie in the league this year by far
Yup, he's been worse for s

37 GA .895 vs 31 GA .863

Neither one is doing much, both on very low shot totals.

I know we still had Andy, as I stated. Most realised the way we were riding a 37 year old would at some point result in time missed, in which case taking a look at the free backup goalie would have been prudent.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yup, he's been worse for sure

37 GA .895 vs 31 GA .863

Neither one is doing much, both on very low shot totals.

I know we still had Andy, as I stated. Most realised the way we were riding a 37 year old would at some point result inn time missed.

37 GA .895 vs 38 GA .930

No big difference??

Nilsson has had tough starts (TBx2, WSH, WPG, PIT, SJ, NSH) and not given up more than 4 goals this year. Pickard has faced maybe 3 tough teams and gotten absolutely lit up in half his games. Theres a reason he has not played for AZ

I'm not saying Nilsson is even an average backup but Pickard has been the worst goalie in the league this year

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I dont think the timing is weird at all. I think it likely results from Andy's return not being imminent

More than fair but this team is going nowhere this year and for the foreseeable future.

Why spend assets on something that is irrevocably broken?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
37 GA .895 vs 38 GA .930

No big difference??

Nilsson has had tough starts (TBx2, WSH, WPG, PIT, SJ, NSH) and not given up more than 4 goals this year. Pickard has faced maybe 3 tough teams and gotten absolutely lit up in half his games. Theres a reason he has not played for AZ

I'm not saying Nilsson is even an average backup but Pickard has been the worst goalie in the league this year
I had said he had been worse, but no, not a big difference. With guys who have very few shots all it takes is 1 good game by Pickard and 1 bad game by Nilsson and their numbers are the same. Pickard has a game of 1ga and 33 saves his save % jumps .020 points. Nilsson has a game (likely with the Sens) where he lets in 5 on 35 shots his save % drops by .015.

Likewise for your .930 example, 1 bad game and that .930 goes to .905.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really I don't have much issue with this trade .. its basically a pretty minor deal. I think Dorion should have acted quicker when Condo went down in more ways than one. Will Archibald help Ottawa , I doubt it. Saying Sens fans wanted to add toughness is somewhat vague. I don't think most want toughness for the sake of it; its someone that can play hopefully up the lineup and not hurt you that brings some toughness. I will reserve judgement on him until I see him play more.. as to whether I think he can help. He has had a few stints at cracking the Canucks lineup and hasn't so that tells us something. Dorion's classic extra pick throw in is pretty much to be expected at this point.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
37 GA .895 vs 38 GA .930

No big difference??

Nilsson has lost 9 in a row and has given up less than 3 goals once in that stretch. I don't think anyone here is saying Pickard is better, we're saying he was free. Getting a free asset instead of moving a draft pick seems like the better move in a rebuilding/re-tooling/tanking year, no?

If Nilsson comes in and rattles off some wins I'm fully prepared to eat crow, but if he continues the trend of being one of the lower end backups in the league than I'm gonna stand by my position that giving up a draft pick for a goalie of his ilk isn't great asset management.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I don't understand folks clamouring for a fighter to join the Sens. The Sens lead the league in fighting majors ANIEC. What are they up to now? 17? Yeah, all those fights have really steered the course onto the path of victory.
Players play soft when there is nothing worth competing for. Who jumps in front of the bus in a meaningless game? Why risk injury on a play that will have no bearing on the team's success? That is the mindset right now. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just human nature. That is why the team is soft. It's not a lack of fighters. It's a lack of hope or belief that the team is going anywhere. They are half way through the season now and are in last place. The players do not believe that they are going to be successful this year and probably not next year either. How do you fire up a team to battle under those circumstances. Then throw in a lame-duck coach, a laughable GM, controversy around Lebreton, the future of the team uncertain, low attendance and a completely erratic owner. That is not an ecosystem that fosters a winning team-first attitude.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Nilsson has lost 9 in a row and has given up less than 3 goals once in that stretch. I don't think anyone here is saying Pickard is better, we're saying he was free. Getting a free asset instead of moving a draft pick seems like the better move in a rebuilding/re-tooling/tanking year, no?

If Nilsson comes in and rattles off some wins I'm fully prepared to eat crow, but if he continues the trend of being one of the lower end backups in the league than I'm gonna stand by my position that giving up a draft pick for a goalie of his ilk isn't great asset management.
Hogberg has been losing and giving up 4+ goals too. But he’s awesome.

Swedes like Swedes for the most part( I think). I’m going to guess the other two goaltenders we have got a bit more excited.
Hopefully the three can have some fun together.
What are they? 6’3”, 6’4” And 6’5”? That’s a lot of Swedish goalie

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Really I don't have much issue with this trade .. its basically a pretty minor deal. I think Dorion should have acted quicker when Condo went down in more ways than one. Will Archibald help Ottawa , I doubt it. Saying Sens fans wanted to add toughness is somewhat vague. I don't think most want toughness for the sake of it; its someone that can play hopefully up the lineup and not hurt you that brings some toughness. I will reserve judgement on him until I see him play more.. as to whether I think he can help. He has had a few stints at cracking the Canucks lineup and hasn't so that tells us something. Dorion's classic extra pick throw in is pretty much to be expected at this point.

I agree with what you've said here

If though we view pyatt and archibald as a wash then we have to reconcile that nilsson>mcKenna. I think the 6th as a throw in is relatively minor.

I know the year is lost however trying to ride a lengthy stretch with mckenna is not something we should be doing with our kids or in terms of a message to our UFAs.

It's a minor deal but i view it as a positive

Reactions: pzeeman

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hogberg has been losing and giving up 4+ goals too. But he’s awesome.

Swedes like Swedes for the most part( I think). I’m going to guess the other two goaltenders we have got a bit more excited.
Hopefully the three can have some fun together.
What are they? 6’3”, 6’4” And 6’5”? That’s a lot of Swedish goalie

Difference being that McKenna was also getting lit up, while Markstrom is playing out of his mind behind the same defence Nilsson was struggling behind. If both goalies are the issue you can play the team (Senators), while if only one of the two goalies is struggling the blame falls on the player (Nilsson).

I don't even hate the trade, I understand it and in a vacuum the value is fine. Just seems like the wrong guy to target at the wrong time. Too late too late if you will.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Man some of the comments in here are surprising. My first thought on this trade was that Andy's melon isn't going to recover soon.

But that aside, here's a few things

1. hf sens has issues with pyatt. He's now gone
2. Hf sens thinks we need stronger goaltending. We now have that because Nilsson at 28 with 117 nhl games under his belt is a clear upgrade on McKenna
3. Hf sens believes all trades are about reducing salary. This trade increases salary.
4. Hf sens believes we need more toughness (is anyone aware we lead the league in fighting btw?) And this trade has us landing a guy that will throw them

So what we are left with is a trade that addresses 4 issues we see expressed here frequently and a 6th going the other way yet a lot of the commentary is quite negative.

Idk.... me thinks at this point that the ability to stand back and assess something has vanished from this board and what's left is criticize at all costs.

The owner and management have done enough to earn a ton of criticism. It is well-deserved.

Your statements seem to suggest that all or most or perhaps many on HFSens share the same opinions. There are differences of opinion on HFBoards. I find it entertaining.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with what you've said here

If though we view pyatt and archibald as a wash then we have to reconcile that nilsson>mcKenna. I think the 6th as a throw in is relatively minor.

I know the year is lost however trying to ride a lengthy stretch with mckenna is not something we should be doing with our kids or in terms of a message to our UFAs.

It's a minor deal but i view it as a positive

If you want to send a clear message to our UFAs, you would sign them to contracts they feel they deserve and not trade them away for 3rd and 4th liners or lower end draft picks (not top 15).

This trade says absolutely nothing to our pending UFAs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This team is as soft as butter left on the counter in August. I'm not a big toughness/fights guy but this team really, really needs to have more pushback. Part of that is physical play, another is skill to make them pay on the score board.

Since we are too cheap to pay for skill, might as well improve the toughness.

In my life I have seen many tough players. Some were basically policeman type players with very limited hockey skills. Others were big, strong and physical with some defensive skills but still limited offensively. Then there were the tough players who had offensive skills (Ferguson, Messier, Howe, Chara). The last type are very expensive and likely out of the Senator’s financial capabilities. The middle group could be affordable for this team. They would most likely play on the third or fourth line but I have seen some play on the top line to address other team’s targeting of star players.

The current Senators team lacks physical toughness. Yes, Borowiecki, Tkachuk and Harpur can provide some deterrent. But more is required because you cannot risk injuries to your top 6D or top 9 forward players. This team needs some 4th Line toughness, not the soft players we have now. I would like to have a player like Reaves on this team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The owner and management have done enough to earn a ton of criticism. It is well-deserved.

Your statements seem to suggest that all or most or perhaps many on HFSens share the same opinions. There are differences of opinion on HFBoards. I find it entertaining.

Mgmt is definitely worthy of criticism

I find the difference is well thought out criticism versus criticism

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If you want to send a clear message to our UFAs, you would sign them to contracts they feel they deserve and not trade them away for 3rd and 4th liners or lower end draft picks (not top 15).

This trade says absolutely nothing to our pending UFAs.

I disagree. If you presume they are trying to sign them and that there is some interest in staying, i think there is value in bringing on an nhl experienced goalie and not sending the message that the next 43 games are lost

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, if Hogberg plays like he did last night consistently then he is the best goalie in the NHL. :laugh:

Hogberg played quite well for a rookie. I liked what I saw. Hopefully he will develop into a consistent goaltender for this team.

I do not mind the big goaltender Nilsson we obtained in this latest trade; hopefully he will be decent and better than McKenna was.

Pyatt was not a big contributor to this team and was taking up a roster spot that I would rather give to Paul or other younger prospect.

I doubt Archibald will ever be a regular on the Senators roster, and if he becomes a regular, I suspect the team will not be very good.

I wonder if Anderson is injured badly as the hit looked minor. I hope this issue is not related to his wife’s battle with her illness.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don’t evaluate goaltenders based on wins as they don’t score goals nor have much effect on scoring. I think the better evaluation metric is shot save percentage and related stats where they do have an influence.

As some others have speculated, this trade may be a precursor to trading Anderson for a prospect player or draft pick with more future value. I agree with doing that, but it would have to be 2nd round pick to please me.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I disagree. If you presume they are trying to sign them and that there is some interest in staying, i think there is value in bringing on an nhl experienced goalie and not sending the message that the next 43 games are lost

This season is not over yet but the Senator’s playoff probability is next to nil at this point. You could put a Vezina trophy winner in goal and the probability would not change much at this point.

There is not much management can do to change the probabilities of the Senator’s getting into the playoffs in the next few seasons without further selling off futures (high draft picks and top prospects). If we want to have a playoff team which is in the top quartile of the league at some point in the future, then we will need to have some top 5 draft picks for several years. That is the reality that I see.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
More than fair but this team is going nowhere this year and for the foreseeable future.

Why spend assets on something that is irrevocably broken?
Because if the Sens keep losing then all their potential trade assets look bad. If they can get some half decent goaltending it allows the whole team to play better and look better. And enhance their trade value.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like this deal, we needed a backup and got rid of Pyatt. I will really like it if:

- Hogberg is the starter and Nilsson is the backup
- Archibald spends 99% of the time in the AHL

Reactions: Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This season is not over yet but the Senator’s playoff probability is next to nil at this point. You could put a Vezina trophy winner in goal and the probability would not change much at this point.

There is not much management can do to change the probabilities of the Senator’s getting into the playoffs in the next few seasons without further selling off futures (high draft picks and top prospects). If we want to have a playoff team which is in the top quartile of the league at some point in the future, then we will need to have some top 5 draft picks for several years. That is the reality that I see.

I wasn't suggesting this year is salvageable in terms of making the playoffs, just that with Andy out it's a total writeoff and that making this minor move at least has to help morale in the room

We definitely need to hit on some first rounders to develop a team that can compete for a longer stretch.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
A very sympathetic Canuck fan here. Nilsson was so poorly used by the Canucks this year that it was perplexing and disgusting. IMHO he is as good as Markstrom and was used purely as cannon fodder in order to spare Marky the agony of playing teams like Tampa and Nashville and to play weird games like afternoon starts etc. He has sat for weeks at a time and then thrown into tough games time after time while Marky was allowed to settle nicely into a groove. If the Sens use him even half decently there is a decent chance he will regain his mojo; remember he was the best goalie in the WHC playing a pivotal role in his teams championship so he's not chopped liver. His addition may well allow you guys to get something for Anderson at the TDL. I wouldn't be surprised if he's your starter by year's end...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
A very sympathetic Canuck fan here. Nilsson was so poorly used by the Canucks this year that it was perplexing and disgusting. IMHO he is as good as Markstrom and was used purely as cannon fodder in order to spare Marky the agony of playing teams like Tampa and Nashville and to play weird games like afternoon starts etc. He has sat for weeks at a time and then thrown into tough games time after time while Marky was allowed to settle nicely into a groove. If the Sens use him even half decently there is a decent chance he will regain his mojo; remember he was the best goalie in the WHC playing a pivotal role in his teams championship so he's not chopped liver. His addition may well allow you guys to get something for Anderson at the TDL. I wouldn't be surprised if he's your starter by year's end...
lol, I highly doubt Nilsson is the starter by year's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad