Confirmed with Link: Sens Acquire Anders Nilsson and Darren Archibald from Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Any pick, no matter which round, is a weapon in the hands of our scouting staff.

One of the best groups in the league at finding talent in the late rounds, and are legitimately the only part of this organization that is remotely competent.

Give it some more time. The cost-cutting effect will soon kick in there too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This team needs players of the Chris Neil / Brooks Laich / Andreas Dackall level
Don’t need to get the elite player...we just need respectable regulars

Like 23 of them?

Dorion does have a plan!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Another reason i like this trade is we were the only team that acquired any upside. Yes its probably minimal but there is zero upside to McKenna and Pyatt.

I wanted to get rid of the old agers and bring in the youg’uns. Now we get some more old’uns. Why bother. This is supposed to be a rebuild with youth. I guess the strategy has changed again.

I don’t care too much about it anymore.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wanted to get rid of the old agers and bring in the youg’uns. Now we get some more old’uns. Why bother. This is supposed to be a rebuild with youth. I guess the strategy has changed again.

I don’t care too much about it anymore.

You need quality veterans, if you just go with the youth then you become the Oilers.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We didn’t just go with youth, and the team has become a joke.

I like quality veterans like Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone and Duchene. We should keep them. But . . .

Yup and the joke is on the remaining players and the fans. Who better to construct a joke than a clown.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't mind the trade in a vacuum. Not sure I'd make it in the context of our current season though.

This trade isn't going to turn around the season. Nilsson is UFA at year end, we could have gone after him in the offseason if that's why we traded for him, but I suspect he is a stopgap.

I'd rather have sent Pyatt to the AHL and kept our 6th rounder but it's a pretty minor grievance, though we've historically done pretty darn well with our late picks with about a third making the NHL.

Had we done this right when Condon went down, that would have made a lot more sense. At this point, it really seems like too little too late, like changing the muffler on the car with over 300k miles that doesn't start when the humidity rise, or gets to low, and needs a jump start every single time. Sure, the car needed a new muffler, but at some point you just need to write the whole thing off.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I thought we had established that we are not in a rebuild. We are in slashing costs mode.

That's your opinion, and it's not shared by many other people.

It's a re-build, whether you like it or not.

Call it a re-jig, a re-shuffle, a re-tool, a re-do, a re- whatever if you like, but it's all the same thing.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Nilsson is retained on a reasonable extension and then earns his pay, this trade will make sense. If he walks and the only outcome of this trade come 2019-20 is that the team won an extra game or two this year at the cost of a 6th round pick, this trade will have made no sense.

They've lost both NHL roster goaltenders (Anderson & Condon) to injuries, and have been gettin by with 2 AHL goaltenders from just after Christmas.

No one knows when Condon is going to be back, and the timeline on Andersons returning, is getting extended.

A LOT of posters have been screaming over the past week that PD needs to do something to "fix the back up " problem, and he did, yesterday.

So now that they can't hammer PD over not fixing the back up problem, they've sunk their teeth into a 6th round draft pick, and now that pick, has become their Death Kneel du jour for the future survival of the Senators...... the time is nigh!

Reactions: derriko and Evanc23

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Man some of the comments in here are surprising. My first thought on this trade was that Andy's melon isn't going to recover soon.

But that aside, here's a few things

1. hf sens has issues with pyatt. He's now gone
2. Hf sens thinks we need stronger goaltending. We now have that because Nilsson at 28 with 117 nhl games under his belt is a clear upgrade on McKenna
3. Hf sens believes all trades are about reducing salary. This trade increases salary.
4. Hf sens believes we need more toughness (is anyone aware we lead the league in fighting btw?) And this trade has us landing a guy that will throw them

So what we are left with is a trade that addresses 4 issues we see expressed here frequently and a 6th going the other way yet a lot of the commentary is quite negative.

Idk.... me thinks at this point that the ability to stand back and assess something has vanished from this board and what's left is criticize at all costs.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Man some of the comments in here are surprising. My first thought on this trade was that Andy's melon isn't going to recover soon.

2. Hf sens thinks we need stronger goaltending. We now have that because Nilsson at 28 with 117 nhl games under his belt is a clear upgrade on McKenna
3. Hf sens believes all trades are about reducing salary. This trade increases salary.
4. Hf sens believes we need more toughness (is anyone aware we lead the league in fighting btw?) And this trade has us landing a guy that will throw them

So what we are left with is a trade that addresses 4 issues we see expressed here frequently and a 6th going the other way yet a lot of the commentary is quite negative.

Idk.... me thinks at this point that the ability to stand back and assess something has vanished from this board and what's left is criticize at all costs.
Good spin. Looking forward to these critical moves propelling us from 31st in the standings.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

You're not entirely wrong in your assessment, but can you also see why giving up (even more) draft picks in a lost year would rub people the wrong way? This trade seems like it's mean to save face more than anything, and likely won't make much of a difference for this team in the short term. It also makes it even more confusing that we passed on Pickard (twice?) when he wouldn't have cost us any assets at all.

Also, this is more of an aside, but who says we need more toughness? I haven't seen enough people wanting that to claim it's an HFSens-wide want for the team.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

In vacuum the trade is decent, it's just a weird time to do a trade like that in what is a lost season.

No disagreement that we improved in areas we have to improve, it's just strange to spend assets to fix something that can be improved, but not fixed.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You're not entirely wrong in your assessment, but can you also see why giving up (even more) draft picks in a lost year would rub people the wrong way? This trade seems like it's mean to save face more than anything, and likely won't make much of a difference for this team in the short term. It also makes it even more confusing that we passed on Pickard (twice?) when he wouldn't have cost us any assets at all.

Also, this is more of an aside, but who says we need more toughness? I haven't seen enough people wanting that to claim it's an HFSens-wide want for the team.

This team is as soft as butter left on the counter in August. I'm not a big toughness/fights guy but this team really, really needs to have more pushback. Part of that is physical play, another is skill to make them pay on the score board.

Since we are too cheap to pay for skill, might as well improve the toughness.

Reactions: derriko and Cosmix

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

Call it a re-jig, a re-shuffle, a re-tool, a re-do, a re- whatever if you like, but it's all the same thing.

Because you like quotes and/or links for everything, here’s one from Uncle Euge last December:

“We are probably one of the thinnest management groups in the league,” Melnyk said. “The next thing you have to look at is players …”

No man, that’s not a rebuild. It is, absolutely, straight from asshole’s mouth, a financial tear down. They stood their top prospects (perhaps the only temporarily positive aspect of the franchise) out in front of everything (“Ottawa Rising”, was the cologne scent they applied to the skunk) and tried their best to, again, undo Melnyk’s idiocy, but to no avail. With the exception of Chabot and barely Tkachuk, these young players were better served developing elsewhere.

Of course, God bless your heart, you took the bait - hook, line and sinker.

A financial stripping of the team, dressed up as a rebuild, is not a rebuild lol.

Reactions: Cosmix and Engineer

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think when we passed on Pickard that Andy was not sidelined with a concussion. Or is my thought on the timing off there.

There has been a cry this past week over lack of toughness since Chabot got hit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This team is as soft as butter left on the counter in August. I'm not a big toughness/fights guy but this team really, really needs to have more pushback. Part of that is physical play, another is skill to make them pay on the score board.

Since we are too cheap to pay for skill, might as well improve the toughness.

We could certainly use more toughness higher in the lineup, but Archibald doesn't really bring anything different than guys like Boro, Harpur, Falk, ect. My point was more that bringing in a guy like Archibald doesn't suddenly turn our top-nine forwards into different players. We don't need more face punchers who play 6 minutes a night, we need guys like Tierney, Boedkker and Ryan to show a little jam (or be shipped out of town...).

Reactions: derriko and Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In vacuum the trade is decent, it's just a weird time to do a trade like that in what is a lost season.

No disagreement that we improved in areas we have to improve, it's just strange to spend assets to fix something that can be improved, but not fixed.

I dont think the timing is weird at all. I think it likely results from Andy's return not being imminent

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think when we passed on Pickard that Andy was not sidelined with a concussion. Or is my thought on the timing off there.

There has been a cry this past week over lack of toughness since Chabot got hit
People wanted Pickard not because we wanted him as the starter, but because we wanted someone who could fill in when Andy (37 years old and playing 95% of our games) inevitably gets injured, we wanted a semblance of a backup. Now we have it with Nilsson, and we never gave up a whole lot to get him, though a pick is a pick for a rebuilding team. It just speaks to the cheapness/shortsightedness of our organisation to pass up an equivalent, cheaper option who costs no assets a month prior when we were already dealing with backup issues.

I don't think there has been a cry for toughness, there was a cry because nobody on our team responded until the last 30 seconds of the game.

Reactions: derriko

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
People wanted Pickard not because we wanted him as the starter, but because we wanted someone who could fill in when Andy (37 years old and playing 95% of our games) inevitably gets injured, we wanted a semblance of a backup. Now we have it with Nilsson, and we never gave up a whole lot to get him, though a pick is a pick for a rebuilding team. It just speaks to the cheapness/shortsightedness of our organisation to pass up an equivalent, cheaper option who costs no assets a month prior when we were already dealing with backup issues.

I don't think there has been a cry for toughness, there was a cry because nobody on our team responded until the last 30 seconds of the game.

Pickard isnt really an equivalent option and we still had Andy then

Pickard has been the worst goalie in the league this year by far

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Personally, I prefer "cost-cutting" wouldn't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->