Confirmed with Link: Sens Acquire Anders Nilsson and Darren Archibald from Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Tell us about archibald without saying “could be a solid fourth liner”. How’s his skating?

Skating isn’t an issue for a bigger body. Will finish checks and can chuck the knucks. My biggest issue with him was , consistency and effort. You’ll notice him one game then not for the next 3.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Dv8Xx0uUwAAI5Wc.jpg

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Accurately describes roughly 1/3 of the Sens lineup.

I did once see him throw 4 hits in 1 shift .... I was impressed. But then the next game invisible. Hopefully he resurrects his NHL career. Was a big leader on our farm team.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
what is the 'Pedigree" people are speaking if with Nilsson? The worst part about this trade is Ottawa is hoping Nilsson turns into a legit starter, are hoping he is stable enough here to win a few so they can justify signing him to a contract. It worked out with Anderson but Andy had a playoffs and time as a starter to look at his body of work - Nilsson has a career high 10 wins.

sad that Ottawa has fallen to the "hoping" stages of it's franchise. and that's exactly what this trade is

We're also hoping that one of Hogberg and/or Gustavsson becomes a starter in the near future. What else do you want? People are complaining that spending a 6th round pick is too much, some are complaining that we're not doing enough.

There are many ways this can play out (from likeliest to least likely):
Scenario 1 - Nilsson plays slightly better than McKenna and allows Anderson to get a few more games off, then goes UFA next season
Scenario 2 - Nilsson plays much better than McKenna and splits 50/50 games with Anderson, gets a 2yr extension to play 50/50 with Anderson again next season, and 50/50 with Hogberg/Gus in 2021
Scenario 3 - Nilsson goes bananas and steals the job from Anderson and becomes our starter, and earns a 3-4yr extension
Scenario 4 - Nilsson completely shits the bed, gets sent down Hogberg remains the backup

Either way, we have a huge gaping hole in goaltending this season and possibly next season. We have half a season to play with zero expectations. It's the perfect opportunity for a potential reclamation project. McKenna was never going to be that. Playing McKenna here is a colossal waste of an opportunity. The cost was minimal, and the potential reward is highly variable.

That's the nature of goalies in the NHL. They're finicky and impossible to predict. There are hardly ever any true reliable starters anymore in this league. Goalies come out of nowhere and disappear into nowhere every year. You can't rely on a single a master plan, you need to roll many dices and hope one hits. Why not roll the dice on a young one who has shown flashes of brilliance at times? It's a ****ing 6th round pick. We just got one for Chris Wideman.

edit: Also, fyi, Anderson had a career high 15 wins when he was Nilsson's age.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Goalie Nilsson leaves Canucks’ dressing room, walks down hall to join Senators after trade

Goalie Nilsson leaves Canucks' dressing room, walks down hall to join Senators after trade

“It’s been a crazy day, that’s for sure,” Nilsson said Wednesday evening. “I had lunch (with the Canucks), then I got a phone call that I was traded here to Ottawa. It wasn’t much of a travel (day). It’s been a different day and I’m going to remember it when I get older.”
As for Archibald, he’s a depth player for the organization. He has suited up for nine games this season with the Canucks, but has 11 goals and 16 points with the club’s AHL affiliate in Utica. The Senators need to have more healthy bodies in Belleville and he’ll be able to help that club try to make the playoffs.

Reactions: NB613 and Mr Hat

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We're also hoping that one of Hogberg and/or Gustavsson becomes a starter in the near future. What else do you want? People are complaining that spending a 6th round pick is too much, some are complaining that we're not doing enough.

There are many ways this can play out (from likeliest to least likely):
Scenario 1 - Nilsson plays slightly better than McKenna and allows Anderson to get a few more games off, then goes UFA next season
Scenario 2 - Nilsson plays much better than McKenna and splits 50/50 games with Anderson, gets a 2yr extension to play 50/50 with Anderson again next season, and 50/50 with Hogberg/Gus in 2021
Scenario 3 - Nilsson goes bananas and steals the job from Anderson and becomes our starter, and earns a 3-4yr extension
Scenario 4 - Nilsson completely ****s the bed, gets sent down Hogberg remains the backup

Either way, we have a huge gaping hole in goaltending this season and possibly next season. We have half a season to play with zero expectations. It's the perfect opportunity for a potential reclamation project. McKenna was never going to be that. Playing McKenna here is a colossal waste of an opportunity. The cost was minimal, and the potential reward is highly variable.

That's the nature of goalies in the NHL. They're finicky and impossible to predict. There are hardly ever any true reliable starters anymore in this league. Goalies come out of nowhere and disappear into nowhere every year. You can't rely on a single a master plan, you need to roll many dices and hope one hits. Why not roll the dice on a young one who has shown flashes of brilliance at times? It's a ****ing 6th round pick. We just got one for Chris Wideman.

edit: Also, fyi, Anderson had a career high 15 wins when he was Nilsson's age.

At the same age Andy had a 38 win season and a playoffs under his belt.

I just don’t understand why Ottawa would trade for a FA goalie unless they are going to sign him long term. And then, why sign Nilsson long term for all the reason you listed above (unpredictable, disappear etc)

Nilsson track record for me isn’t good enough to sign him long term, especially with no playoffs. He’s turning 29 in March and is a poor backup, I don’t get it

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
At the same age Andy had a 38 win season and a playoffs under his belt.

I just don’t understand why Ottawa would trade for a FA goalie unless they are going to sign him long term. And then, why sign Nilsson long term for all the reason you listed above (unpredictable, disappear etc)

Nilsson track record for me isn’t good enough to sign him long term, especially with no playoffs. He’s turning 29 in March and is a poor backup, I don’t get it

What are you suggesting? We keep playing McKenna? That's a colossal waste. NHL minutes are worth their weight in gold. I don't want to those minutes wasted on a 35 yr old AHL goalie who is guaranteed to amount to nothing.

What I'm saying is that the rest of the season becomes an audition/opportunity for Nilsson. At no point am I saying we should sign Nilsson long term right away. Look at our position in 2012 with Anderson/Lehner/Bishop. Anderson was supposed to be a stop gap, and Lehner/Bishop were supposed to be the future. Look at how all of that turned out. Elliott went from being even more **** in Colorado, to an all-star in STL, to utter **** in Calgary. Bishop went from being amazing to ****. Lenher went from being **** to amazing (and also landed us Colin White). And Anderson became the best goalie this franchise ever had. Goalies are unpredictable by nature.... You have to throw shit at a wall and see what sticks. Nilsson is just another turd to throw at the wall. McKenna is just an old dried up shriveled turd that was guaranteed not to stick.

The hole in the lineup is an opportunity. Leaving it there and rolling with a goalie who has zero upside that will never ever become a starter is a much bigger waste than trading the 6th away.

Also, you're arguing semantics. Nilsson is 28. When Andy was 28, this career best was 15 games.

Also, this opens up the opportunity to trade Anderson, who would probably return more than just a 6th round pick.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was kinda hoping Pyatt would be a solid addition to Belleville for the kids. I guess Archibald will have to do.

Oh well.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
well i'm a canucks fan
and have come to your boards before when melynk made his infamous video
and the karlsson saga was about to resolve
out west we have had happiness dealing with ottawa
and still have good vibes about dahlen
but i'm not here to troll you all .
you are committed sens fans
i prefer the canucks

you'll like archibald.. captain of our ahl team
solid physical player with limited upside and skills
we kinda did him a favour of moving him on to a new team
he played a large part of a season when we had the ill fated 1 year with torts
and he has been a depth player since
there is absolutely no room for him on our nhl team
due to off season signings of 3 bottom 6 rugged players
you all might enjoy archi
solid effort every game
a great teammate and leader by all indications

nillson could be a real find for your team
that guys blows hot and cold
disregard his record this year if you can
he got very tough assignments... most of the harder teams
or the 2nd of back to back games
he is better then his record
the team was trying to develop and entrench markstrom as a clear #1
and nillson was used/abused to achieve that
if nillson can get comfortable he can be a solid long term backup
with a bit of a long shot ability to be a #1
unless he soils the bed over there completely, i think you'll be intrigued by the possibilities with him
he was never given a fair chance in vancouver

thanks for goalie depth in return (we won't be keeping your goalie long term unless he is prepared to play in the ahl)
thanks for pyatt as lw depth (r defense and lw depth are weaknesses on our up and coming team and we need our current lw youth to get a bit more serious about becoming pros... adding more depth will worry them and hopefully motivate them a bit more.. we recently acquired leivo from the laffs and he did well initially)
and thanks for the 6th round (almost 5th round) pick.. this might have the most value for us as nilsson was going to be moved by the tdl ... and few out west thought he get us more then a 5th round pick... so we kinda met expectations from you on this trade

and your team did surprisingly well out of the gate
i at least was surprised
but they have fallen off a bit as the other teams get more serious
we have been used to this routine out west
strong starts and then hitting a wall in december once the better teams get a bit warmed up
we are very excited about ep40 (our short hand for our rookie phenom) and kinda think we will scale over this wall this season
but time will tell

despite our respective different teams and rooting interests
we sympathize about your significant handicap... melynk
we are relatively content with our committed and deep pocketed owner
who despite his many real or perceived or imagined flaws
is clearly not melynk
it is tough to remain a committed base when your ownership could be the worst in pro sport
the canadian game of hockey does not deserve that blight in our capital city
stay strong.. things will develop to liberate you all .

good luck on the 2nd half of the season

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
Well we got fledgling superstar Boedker so that is understandable

just a copy of a post i made on our local nhl team message board. it is for information purposes only. but you are welcome to visit our boards and see how you like the west coast experience

this posting was originally sent to Hutton Wink on our boards. i trust you will enjoy this in the spirit it was intended

------------------------------------------------------

so just to give you a heads up
i have been a very irregular poster on the hfboards of the ottawa senators
but am laying the ground work for a cdc trade with them

i respect you have ntc clause limiting which teams we can trade you to
but am considering moving you on for Sens of Anarchy
he is a worthy poster, with a hard edge, but fairly insightful and balanced viewpoints, not dissimilar to you
but perhaps with a touch of greater experience we could be useful for our playoff run
you may wish to visit their boards and engage their posters
and see if it is a reasonable fit

default_21355pw.gif

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't really see the point of this deal. The players involved cancel each other out and then we also give up the standard throw-in draft pick.

It is part of the rebuild. Ahhh. We are getting younger and more skilled. Ahhh. Ottawa Rising! Ahhhh. I don’t have a clue what this trade is for! Oh, PR spin. Look at what we are doing trying to make the team better. :)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Via Garrioch

Making $1.25 million in the final year of his contract, Nilsson will help Ottawa. Luckily, the Canucks are on a six-game road trip and he has a lot of clothes with him.

I know Capfriendly confirmed no retained salary. So either Capfriendly was incorrect and VAN retained 750k, or Garrioch made a mistake in his article.

His salary is 2M if there is nothing retained.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Via Garrioch

Making $1.25 million in the final year of his contract, Nilsson will help Ottawa. Luckily, the Canucks are on a six-game road trip and he has a lot of clothes with him.

I know Capfriendly confirmed no retained salary. So either Capfriendly was incorrect and VAN retained 750k, or Garrioch made a mistake in his article.

I'd go with Garrioch making a mistake. Even when the Sens spoonfeed him information, Garrioch still can't get it right.

sexytime

Apr 17, 2009
Ottawa
well i'm a canucks fan
and have come to your boards before when melynk made his infamous video
and the karlsson saga was about to resolve
out west we have had happiness dealing with ottawa
and still have good vibes about dahlen
but i'm not here to troll you all .
you are committed sens fans
i prefer the canucks

you'll like archibald.. captain of our ahl team
solid physical player with limited upside and skills
we kinda did him a favour of moving him on to a new team
he played a large part of a season when we had the ill fated 1 year with torts
and he has been a depth player since
there is absolutely no room for him on our nhl team
due to off season signings of 3 bottom 6 rugged players
you all might enjoy archi
solid effort every game
a great teammate and leader by all indications

nillson could be a real find for your team
that guys blows hot and cold
disregard his record this year if you can
he got very tough assignments... most of the harder teams
or the 2nd of back to back games
he is better then his record
the team was trying to develop and entrench markstrom as a clear #1
and nillson was used/abused to achieve that
if nillson can get comfortable he can be a solid long term backup
with a bit of a long shot ability to be a #1
unless he soils the bed over there completely, i think you'll be intrigued by the possibilities with him
he was never given a fair chance in vancouver

thanks for goalie depth in return (we won't be keeping your goalie long term unless he is prepared to play in the ahl)
thanks for pyatt as lw depth (r defense and lw depth are weaknesses on our up and coming team and we need our current lw youth to get a bit more serious about becoming pros... adding more depth will worry them and hopefully motivate them a bit more.. we recently acquired leivo from the laffs and he did well initially)
and thanks for the 6th round (almost 5th round) pick.. this might have the most value for us as nilsson was going to be moved by the tdl ... and few out west thought he get us more then a 5th round pick... so we kinda met expectations from you on this trade

and your team did surprisingly well out of the gate
i at least was surprised
but they have fallen off a bit as the other teams get more serious
we have been used to this routine out west
strong starts and then hitting a wall in december once the better teams get a bit warmed up
we are very excited about ep40 (our short hand for our rookie phenom) and kinda think we will scale over this wall this season
but time will tell

despite our respective different teams and rooting interests
we sympathize about your significant handicap... melynk
we are relatively content with our committed and deep pocketed owner
who despite his many real or perceived or imagined flaws
is clearly not melynk
it is tough to remain a committed base when your ownership could be the worst in pro sport
the canadian game of hockey does not deserve that blight in our capital city
stay strong.. things will develop to liberate you all .

good luck on the 2nd half of the season
Thanks for the review. On a side note, there is something satisfying, yet equally frustrating about your structure and style of writing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Via Garrioch

His salary is 2M if there is nothing retained.

He's probably saying he has 1.25 left pro-rated.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Nilsson is occasionally streaky but mostly sucks and is overpaid as a backup.

Archibald is a legitimate NHL player. You guys will like him. Played 3rd line minutes getting buried in tough defensive starts last year and killed it ... and then got unfairly replaced by the much worse Schaller. Clunky skater but very physical, good defensively, good hands for a checker.

We have heard this kind of assessment before for a guy another team’s fans adored. Sign this guy up for 2 more years at $2.5 per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad