Post-Game Talk: Sens 4, Pens 3 (OT) - Buffalo for All The Marbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Here's the thing. Beau has had several injuries this year. The one article said he has knee braces on both knees. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason he's not getting 15+ min a game is because he's not physically able to? So much work on the knees during a game. Perhaps low minutes are their way of ensuring he's able to play game after game. Beau in every game is better than Beau in one / out one.

It could be a part of it, always assume injuries or health problems are involved with this team, but I doubt that's all of it. They also had ****ing Kunitz playing a tonne through treating an iron deficiency and looking awful so it's not a guarantee that they will do that. If his knees are so ****ed that he struggles to play 10 minutes and stay in then there's a massive problem there.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Here's the thing. Beau has had several injuries this year. The one article said he has knee braces on both knees. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason he's not getting 15+ min a game is because he's not physically able to? So much work on the knees during a game. Perhaps low minutes are their way of ensuring he's able to play game after game. Beau in every game is better than Beau in one / out one.

If Beau can't play 15 mins a game because of injury it would have made more sense to keep him on LTIR until he can. Maatta, Ehrhoff would be playing right now if our medical staff had that type of philosophy and we probably would have clinched a playoff spot. Let alone the other variables - Martin traded? Despres might not of or for a decent forward?

I'd rather play Beau on the 2nd line for one game than a bunch of them on the 4th line where he cant really influence anything.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If Beau can play like that every night he won't have a problem. Finishing his checks and skating well with the puck don't have anything to do with what line you're on. I agree they've done a bad job of giving him confidence, but he needs to play with a killer instinct all the time too. It's a question of putting it all together more often than he does now. You would like to see the coaches help with that more, but he needs to have games like that a little more often regardless of production.

There is plenty of truth, here. Bennett does need to play with a bit more intensity and purpose. I think that's fair. But it's extremely easy to get discouraged when you KNOW that even if you play hard, work through all of your ****show shifts with Adams and Laps glued to your hip and even score a goal... the rewards are... uh... what, exactly?

What should he be working hard towards? There is no carrot.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So whats the situation if Pouliot can't play? I assume we have to go 5 D again and possibly play Downie with 13F's?

I know Erhoff may be able to play Saturday against Buffalo(speculated). They probably just force him back early and go 6D Friday.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
So whats the situation if Pouliot can't play? I assume we have to go 5 D again and possibly play Downie with 13F's?

I know Erhoff may be able to play Saturday against Buffalo. They probably just force him back early and go 6D Friday.

Can't we send Pouliot back down and bring up Harrington or Dumouilin. I think his cap hit is higher than those guys. We might be able to bring them both up and send Chorney down if it opens up a little cap space (although he hasnt been terrible)

Artie Party

Oct 1, 2014
Pittsburgh
Can't they just send Pouliot down since he doesn't have to clear waivers and then bring up Dumoulin or harrington since they cost less under the cap?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Just providing a dose of reality and perspective, that's all. You're welcome to disregard it though.. and plan the "Beau scored his first goal in 30 games" party though (I'm sure I won't receive an invite though)

We must be watching different games man.

Or you just have really low expectations. "Former 1st rounder and much hyped prospect scores 1 goal in 30 games - wow, this guy rulez! :yo:".

Then you have realists like me.... who look at things objectively. When I look around the league and see 6th/7th d-men and enforcers producing more offensively than BB, it prompts questions.

I just wanted to put this up here again ...

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
There is plenty of truth, here. Bennett does need to play with a bit more intensity and purpose. I think that's fair. But it's extremely easy to get discouraged when you KNOW that even if you play hard, work through all of your ****show shifts with Adams and Laps glued to your hip and even score a goal... the rewards are... uh... what, exactly?

What should he be working hard towards? There is no carrot.

Yeah I mean it's hard but what's there to say other than you can't get discouraged? Even if you think it'll end with you playing for another team, you can't get discouraged. I would say Despres did a pretty good job of that in his time here, and he was getting sent up and down.

I was worried about Bennett progressing points-wise before, but now I think it's best to take a step back and just see how he's playing. Some people think I hate the guy and I don't. I just think even if you're on the 4th line, okay let's forget points and see if the guy stands out, and he doesn't do it nearly enough game to game. His linemates suck but that doesn't mean he can't show that he can set up guys, for example.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Can't they just send Pouliot down since he doesn't have to clear waivers and then bring up Dumoulin or harrington since they cost less under the cap?

I'm not sure of the rule of sending down injured players, I imagine you can't as it would mean teams would save money by sending down any guy who is injured and on a two-way deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would argue Beau has probably had his best stretch of games during this losing streak.

Just, every time he starts getting momentum they cut his ice time. Kind of like how he scored a goal last night and then suddenly isn't on the third line anymore.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I mean it's hard but what's there to say other than you can't get discouraged? Even if you think it'll end with you playing for another team, you can't get discouraged. I would say Despres did a pretty good job of that in his time here, and he was getting sent up and down.

I was worried about Bennett progressing points-wise before, but now I think it's best to take a step back and just see how he's playing. Some people think I hate the guy and I don't. I just think even if you're on the 4th line, okay let's forget points and see if the guy stands out, and he doesn't do it nearly enough game to game. His linemates suck but that doesn't mean he can't show that he can set up guys, for example.

I get what you mean. But it's easy to say "don't get discouraged!" as fans. I also know these guys make plenty of money to play a kids game and effort is more or less a requirement. But it's gotta be MUCH harder when you are actually in it and know that, literally, nothing is good enough and you are almost certainly a goner, anyway. It's like being employed by a vindictive management team that hates you regardless of what you do to prove your worth. Or an abusive relationship.

This team hasn't made much of an effort to hide their dislike for him. And I just don't really get why. He hasn't blown the doors off the league, obviously. But it seems like there is a lot left for him to do, yet... especially considering his injury history and time lost in development. It seems like a really dumb time to simply sell him low and give up on him. But this organization has a now-established track record of that and when it comes to developing talented forwards (or ANY forwards) -- they couldn't find their ass with both hands.

So... I'm giving him MOSTLY the benefit of the doubt because of a multitude of reasons. But I understand that watching him toil on THIS fourth line night after night is an uninspiring thing to watch. How much of that is his problem is where our opinions differ. I feel like both Malkin and Crosby couldn't do ****-all in that situation. Why should Bennett be able to?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is a great piece btw:

Shows every breakdown on the GA's last night and the worst Goalie in the world...Ben Lovejoy.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/739777

I haven't read it yet, but they are wrong off the bat:

Twenty-one-year-old defenseman Derrick Pouliot does a nice job keeping a wildly bouncing puck in at the blueline by smacking that belt-high knuckleball back into the zone. But there are no Pens there, so he retreats to play the coming 2-on-2.

Pouliot doesn't do a nice job keeping the puck in. He makes a stupid decision in a 3-0 game and tries to whack a low percentage play to a teammate instead of retreating to the neutral zone and regrouping.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pouliot doesn't do a nice job keeping the puck in. He makes a stupid decision in a 3-0 game and tries to whack a low percentage play to a teammate instead of retreating to the neutral zone and regrouping.

I don't see how you fault Pouliot for that play. He's trying to keep the puck in and the puck bounced weird.

It's like blaming him for the fact that Pageau passed it off his skate.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I don't see how you fault Pouliot for that play. He's trying to keep the puck in and the puck bounced weird.

It wasn't the right play but we cant blame him for the goal because of that play. It wasn't directly responsible for the goal. We had our chance to defend it still.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It wasn't the right play but we cant blame him for the goal because of that play. It wasn't directly responsible for the goal. We had our chance to defend it still.

Every defender in the NHL on the first pairing power play is going to step up and try to keep that puck in.

Especially given the fact he wasn't being pressured. He didn't dump it hard enough because the puck was bouncing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

It's about awareness. You are up 3-0 in the game and you have a bouncing puck and no teammate near you with a defender coming at you. Why whack it and try and keep it in? What good will come of it? It was an unnecessary risk with no visible reward in sight. Just let it go out of the zone, grab the puck, regroup and go back in. He turned a nothing regroup into a turnover and a 2 on 2. The puck bouncing off his skate sucks and that is about awareness too, but that stuff happens.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And in this same breath a minus to the Bennett detractors who "randomly" go quiet around here when he puts on a display, but are quick to say, "he plays that game every 20 or so" yet fail to address the ****ing scrubs getting 17+ minutes a night who've done less given more for the entire 82 game season. More than this loss (that was more telegraphed than the powerplay), I'm upset we're losing Bennett in the offseason.

If this is referring to me, my answer is the curve this player gets graded on is ridiculous. No other player who has been through here in the last 30 years could have had the year he just did and had this paragraph written about him after scoring an easy goal in a loss that might cause us to miss the playoffs. Too little, too late.

You act like scoring a fourth goal of the year in game 80 on a tap-in in a melt-down is some triumphant vindication. It's not. For a player that spent nearly the entire year on a third line, it's Godawful, actually, that that's the most he can manage. Tyler Kennedy had roughly the same 2013, from the exact same roster slot, and it got him frequently (correctly) ostracized, scratched in the playoffs and ultimately traded. If someone used Kennedy's crap 2013 season as "evidence" he was underused or to call out "haters," I never saw it. Incidentally, TK has also had a better 2014-15 than Bennett has had.

If Glass scores the same goal, the same way (and Bennett's goal was very much a Tanner Glass goal; his year end total, very much a Glass total), for his fourth of the season, in game 80, not only does the quoted paragraph not get written, but what takes its place is very probably a rant about how 4 goals in 50 or 60 games is evidence of how bad Glass's body of work is and how much he needs to go. Why the double standard between Bennett and these guys?

Frankly, as poor of a hockey player as Glass is, we've missed his fighting this year more than we'll miss Bennett's Glass-like production (from one line higher), lack of toughness, own goals and tape to tape passes to the opposition when he's gone next year. At least with Glass, when Rinaldo challenges the whole bench to do something about what he did to Letang, he reacts, which is more than I can say for our bottom six "talents," Bennett included, outside of Downie.

Oh, and those "scrubs" (who are, indeed, scrubs) haven't "done less" than Bennett has this year. The only Penguins wing who's "done less" than Bennett in 2014-15 and is not currently in the minor leagues is Adams. Even Ebbett greatly outproduced him per minute in his limited time in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's about awareness. You are up 3-0 in the game and you have a bouncing puck and no teammate near you with a defender coming at you. Why whack it and try and keep it in? What good will come of it? It was an unnecessary risk with no visible reward in sight.

He wasn't being pressured. He went to dump it in because he had Crosby and Malkin below the net.

If he clears that puck hard enough you have three Penguins down low and only two Ottawa defensemen. That's what every defenseman is going to do on a power play. If they play passive there, especially a rookie they are probably getting an earful.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Every defender in the NHL on the first pairing power play is going to step up and try to keep that puck in.

Especially given the fact he wasn't being pressured. He didn't dump it hard enough because the puck was bouncing.

Not sure about that. It was risky hitting it in the air in that if he didnt get it cleanly the Ottawa player will be there first. There really wasn't any risk in letting it go and regrouping. If we needed a goal my opinion might be different but 3-0 we had to play the percentages.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He wasn't being pressured. He went to dump it in because he had Crosby and Malkin below the net.

If he clears that puck hard enough you have three Penguins down low and only two Ottawa defensemen. That's what every defenseman is going to do on a power play. If they play passive there, especially a rookie they are probably getting an earful.

I agree with you. Every PP D-Man is gonna try to bat that puck down low. He tried, seen it didn't work then got into a good defensive position. He didn't do anything terribly wrong there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Well he didn't come close to dumping it in. Instead he weakly played it right to a Senator and then had to retreat. So even if I didn't blame him for his decision making, the execution of the play was poor.

Regardless, it was hardly the reason we lost the game. I am just suggesting that given the situation in the game (up 3-0 in a must win game on the PP), why even try to make that play?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

No. Teams are limited to 4 call ups after the trade deadline. Anything after that has to be an emergency call up and the Pens could not do that without him being injured.

YinzAintBurgh*

This is a great piece btw:

Shows every breakdown on the GA's last night and the worst Goalie in the world...Ben Lovejoy.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/739777

:handclap:

Where the game and season was lost on the game tying goal..

so Crosby’s job as the winger here - first and foremost - is to deal with the trigger guy if the puck squirts out to him. Get in his lane, engage the puck battle.

Maybe Sid playing out of position on the wing hurt the Pens, because he carries on past Zibanejad at first, just a step

Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad