Post-Game Talk: Sens 4, Pens 3 (OT) - Buffalo for All The Marbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm sick of watching a team whose recent GMs think employing Scuderi and Lovejoy is a good idea.

That's more it, I think... yeah.

I understand the people that are half-defending the team by saying "Well, what are they supposed to do? There aren't any options." Because, I mean... that's true. Undeniably true. They are out of personnel options are also in a cap mess.

To me the biggest failure is that it simply should never have gotten to this point. Last regime's epic screwups (and there were many) or not. This team is petrified to make tough decisions and seems to revel in kicking the can down the road. Well... that catches up.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Last night is proof that Bennett can do nothing to earn more ice time and a top 6 spot. He scored a goal and created more scoring chances with Malkin in 2 or 3 shifts than Comeau and Kunitz created all night. What happened? He still played under 10 minutes. How is this kid supposed to play with confidence when he knows he'll get demoted no matter what he does? If I were him I'd be dogging it until they traded me.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
BB was our best winger last night after Hornqvist.

and how the hell do the Pens always hire coaches with aggravating faces? MJ is dumb and he also looks like Paul Martin's mother...

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Last night is proof that Bennett can do nothing to earn more ice time and a top 6 spot. He scored a goal and created more scoring chances with Malkin in 2 or 3 shifts than Comeau and Kunitz created all night. What happened? He still played under 10 minutes. How is this kid supposed to play with confidence when he knows he'll get demoted no matter what he does? If I were him I'd be dogging it until they traded me.

They wanted him to show a spark, and when he does......ugh.....Makes no sense.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

But Bennett "sucks" doncha know?

At least that's what most Penguins fans seem to have come around on after plenty of their ears being bent over and over again by hucksters such as DK and Yohe. It's completely fair because he's had all of these great opportunities and done nothing with them. And has had the privilege of playing with league luminaries like Lapierre and Adams, in between.

I mean... if a guy can't produce under those circumstances then clearly he's beyond hope. Learn hockey.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Beau is inconsistent. After tonight's game maybe they replace Winnik, Kunitz or Comeau with him though. He showed what he is capable of. I think he'd look nice with Horny and Sid.

We all know what Beau is capable of when healthy and feeling confident. After last nights game, with these games meaning so much, if putting him with Sid or Geno doesn't give him the confidence he needs nothing will.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
BB was our best winger last night after Hornqvist.

and how the hell do the Pens always hire coaches with aggravating faces? MJ is dumb and he also looks like Paul Martin's mother...

I'd say he was our third best forward in that game. Probably our fourth best player overall.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
There's no penalty for not playing well for the majority of the team. Half ass it and you may get 1 or 2 shifts off your normal line. Other than that, there's no accountability for playing bad. You think Kunitz, Scuds, Sutter, or Lovejoy sit? Psh...

Its even worse than that because if your line or pairing is doing well MJ finds a way to split them.

Lovejoy and Pouliot played really well together but Pouliot has played more (at EV) with every other D men in the last handful of games.

Bennett every time he gets a shift with Malkin he looks great but he struggles to get 10 mins a game with anyone.

The most important game of the year and two rookie D men are paired together......

and the worst line mate combo are glued to Malkin.

Also not noticing in most games that Winnik starts to fatigue when playing with Sid at the end of games because he is not used to playing those minutes

Its not just MJ's fault because any team that can be 3-0 up (and all the other leads we've blown) the players have to be just as at fault. The front office too because that Despres trade is killing us right now (dont need to go into the rest of it right now) with our injuries.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
so wait, two people go on and on about how the last goal was Sid's fault, multiple people prove them wrong, and then they change the subject.

Hey, people with agendas: be better.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I love how all the BB fans are acting like last night was some sort of watershed moment.

Look - I don't think now is the right time to take a "victory lap" and claim that you were "right" about Beau.

That was his first goal in 30 ****ing games. That kind of production makes Sutter look like the second coming of Joe Sakic.

For the sake of this team, lets hope he picks it up.. but now is not the time to be bragging about how right you were. 1 goal in 30 games. Enough said.

Having said that, I'm happy he finally scored and lets hope he can find a way to contribute.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I love how all the BB fans are acting like last night was some sort of watershed moment.

Look - I don't think now is the right time to take a "victory lap" and claim that you were "right" about Beau.

That was his first goal in 30 ****ing games. That kind of production makes Sutter look like the second coming of Joe Sakic.

I'll take 'missing the point' for 500 Alex.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'll take 'missing the point' for 500 Alex.

Just providing a dose of reality and perspective, that's all. You're welcome to disregard it though.. and plan the "Beau scored his first goal in 30 games" party though (I'm sure I won't receive an invite though)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... no.

On that particular subject... that certainly isn't "enough said." If you can't see Bennett's situation for what it is... then I dunno. It's like -- how can someone understand that the Despres outrage was a "big picture" thing but not see how Bennett is, as well?

I'm not even really the biggest fan. I like his flashes of potential but acknowledge that the guy could certainly flame out. But it's isn't simply a matter of "he sucks... 1 goal in 30 lol." There is this tricky "development" part that comes after drafting. The Penguins didn't hold up their end of the bargain, there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That was his first goal in 30 ****ing games. That kinda of production makes Sutter look like the second coming of Joe Sakic.

Who called it a watershed moment?

I don't know why people can't just avoid exaggerated comments and be reasonable. The guy scored a goal, and then got put on the fourth line for his next shift. He didn't even break 3 mins TOI in the first. That's ****ing stupid coaching, sorry.

BB played well, scored a goal, and still got dicked with TOI. That he is put in purgatory no matter what he does, is ****ing tiresome. Anytime he shows a spark, he gets dicked around.

If you want to tell me why Comeau and Kunitz deserve almost double his TOI and PP time over him, go for it. I'd love to see you defend idiotic coaching, it should be fun.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Just providing a dose of reality and perspective, that's all. You're welcome to disregard it though.. and plan the "Beau scored his first goal in 30 games" party though (I'm sure I won't receive an invite though)

Nobody is arguing that he has been producing this year. You are missing the point and acting smug all the while making posts that are irrelevant to what we are talking about.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm not even really the biggest fan. I like his flashes of potential but acknowledge that the guy could certainly flame out. But it's isn't simply a matter of "he sucks... 1 goal in 30 lol." There is this tricky "development" part that comes after drafting. The Penguins didn't hold up their end of the bargain, there.
We must be watching different games man.

Or you just have really low expectations. "Former 1st rounder and much hyped prospect scores 1 goal in 30 games - wow, this guy rulez! :yo:".

Then you have realists like me.... who look at things objectively. When I look around the league and see 6th/7th d-men and enforcers producing more offensively than BB, it prompts questions.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

Or you just have really low expectations. "Former 1st rounder and much hyped prospect scores 1 goal in 30 games - wow, this guy rulez! :yo:".

Then you have realists like me.... who look at things objectively. When I look around the league and see 6th/7th d-men and enforcers producing more offensively than BB, it prompts questions.
Not to get all philosophical, but you can't look at the stat line and make a sound judgement. You have to ask why the player is producing like they are. And there are many factors that go into that.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Questions that have been answered lately knowing Beau is mainly struggling cuz of the knee injuries he had near the start of the season.
At some point though, he was going to become a better option than the Kunitz's and Comeau's on the roster. ie. getting used to playing with 2 knee braces and getting healthier.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Who called it a watershed moment?

I don't know why people can't just avoid exaggerated comments and be reasonable. The guy scored a goal, and then got put on the fourth line for his next shift. He didn't even break 3 mins TOI in the first. That's ****ing stupid coaching, sorry.

BB played well, scored a goal, and still got dicked with TOI. That he is put in purgatory no matter what he does, is ****ing tiresome. Anytime he shows a spark, he gets dicked around.

If you want to tell me why Comeau and Kunitz deserve almost double his TOI and PP time over him, go for it. I'd love to see you defend idiotic coaching, it should be fun.
I don't know man.. I seemed to recall BB getting some shifts on 71's line after that goal. I wouldn't say he was punished or anything along those lines..

To answer your question: At this point, I really don't know why Comeau/Kunitz have been getting so many minutes. If I had to guess, I would say it comes down to track record in the NHL. Comeau/Kunitz have one and BB doesn't.

Despite his game totally falling off a cliff, Kunitz is one of the top scoring forward since the lockout. Comeau had a good first half of the season and has been absolute garbage since.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I don't know man.. I seemed to recall BB getting some shifts on 71's line after that goal. I wouldn't say he was punished or anything along those lines..

To answer your question: At this point, I really don't know why Comeau/Kunitz have been getting so many minutes. If I had to guess, I would say it comes down to track record in the NHL. Comeau/Kunitz have one and BB doesn't.

Despite his game totally falling off a cliff, Kunitz is one of the top scoring forward since the lockout. Comeau had a good first half of the season and has been absolute garbage since.

BB had 2 or 3 shifts with Malkin. He should have played the last 2 periods with Malkin.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm officially out of ****s to give. Do they make the playoffs? Who cares? It would only delay the inevitable. I'm so sick of watching a team whose coach continually uses Rob Scuderi and Ben Lovejoy as shutdown defensemen despite it being obvious every day that they suck. **** off.

I'm sick of watching a team whose recent GMs think employing Scuderi and Lovejoy is a good idea.

Here's where I'm at. "Anything can happen in the playoffs!" ********. This team is not winning the Stanley Cup. With that, I've accepted it. I'm okay with it. If they make the playoffs, great. If they don't, fine by me. Either way, what they need to do this off season remains the same.

Here's the thing. Beau has had several injuries this year. The one article said he has knee braces on both knees. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason he's not getting 15+ min a game is because he's not physically able to? So much work on the knees during a game. Perhaps low minutes are their way of ensuring he's able to play game after game. Beau in every game is better than Beau in one / out one.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If Beau can play like that every night he won't have a problem. Finishing his checks and skating well with the puck don't have anything to do with what line you're on. I agree they've done a bad job of giving him confidence, but he needs to play with a killer instinct all the time too. It's a question of putting it all together more often than he does now. You would like to see the coaches help with that more, but he needs to have games like that a little more often regardless of production.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Christ I'm looking at the replay of the tying goal again.

Lovejoy is literally tracking the puck and moving his body accordingly as if he's the net front presence on the PP. My God there isn't even a single Sens player in sight for him to box out or cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad