Post-Game Talk: Sens 4, Pens 3 (OT) - Buffalo for All The Marbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well he didn't come close to dumping it in. Instead he weakly played it right to a Senator and then had to retreat. So even if I didn't blame him for his decision making, the execution of the play was poor.

Regardless, it was hardly the reason we lost the game. I am just suggesting that given the situation in the game (up 3-0 in a must win game on the PP), why even try to make that play?

Because the whole reason we lost the game is as soon as they scored a goal we became completely passive and stopped attacking.

DP should step up in that situation because you should be trying to score every time you can on the power play. The execution was poor because Hornqvist just slapped a puck off the glass and it took a weird bounce.

Notice how as soon as he didn't get it as far he wants he immediately got into a defensive position exactly like he should. Notice how Johnston threw him back out on the power play immediately after that. DP had nothing to do with that goal.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
:handclap:

Where the game and season was lost on the game tying goal..

Art Ross

I know you like the "he was going for the empty net/AR" argument but i like the Sid's not a winger and should've been taking the draw or off the ice argument instead.

Sutter was 10-15 on draws last night. Sid or Lappy should've been taking that FO imo.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
This is a great piece btw:

Shows every breakdown on the GA's last night and the worst Goalie in the world...Ben Lovejoy.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/739777

to make matters worse - Lovejoy rushes out in desperation, screening Marc-Andre Fleury (remember that phrase).

Story of the night. Fleury screened by Lovejoy on goals 2, 3, and 4. If it weren't for the cap trouble, I'd say call up Harrington or Dumoulin and sit Lovejoy. Can't be any worse.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
:handclap:

Where the game and season was lost on the game tying goal..

Art Ross

Do you have a learning disability?

The trigger man is Zibenijad. Sid goes to him. He makes a play to Stone whose shot Fleury can't see.

You're not smart or clever enough to cover up for the fact that you're simply trolling, but have at it I guess.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
No. Teams are limited to 4 call ups after the trade deadline. Anything after that has to be an emergency call up and the Pens could not do that without him being injured.

Who are the four players the Pens have called up?

At most the Pens have used one call-up since the TDL (Chorney). As long as Pouliot isn't injured, they could send him down and bring up another player.

If Pouliot is injured he can't be sent down regardless.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Who are the four players the Pens have called up?

At most the Pens have used one call-up since the TDL (Chorney). As long as Pouliot isn't injured, they could send him down and bring up another player.

If Pouliot is injured he can't be sent down regardless.

the Pens sent down and called up Pouliot to make him eligible for the AHL playoffs after the TDL.

That left them with 3. They called up... Ebbett, I think. That's 2. Then Chorney?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because the whole reason we lost the game is as soon as they scored a goal we became completely passive and stopped attacking.

DP should step up in that situation because you should be trying to score every time you can on the power play. The execution was poor because Hornqvist just slapped a puck off the glass and it took a weird bounce.

Notice how as soon as he didn't get it as far he wants he immediately got into a defensive position exactly like he should. Notice how Johnston threw him back out on the power play immediately after that. DP had nothing to do with that goal.

DP had nothing to do with that goal? The puck literally hit off his skate into the net. I'd say he had SOMETHING to do with it.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
the Pens sent down and called up Pouliot to make him eligible for the AHL playoffs after the TDL.

That left them with 3. They called up... Ebbett, I think. That's 2. Then Chorney?

They've only used two - Pouliot and Ebbett. Chorney is on an emergency recall, so he doesn't count against the four recall limit.

SweetStache

Jan 28, 2013
Pouliot is in over his head right now, he needs to hone his game in the ahl. Hope this doesn't do any permanent damage.

Seriously, can we not send him down and call up Dumo? DP now looks like he's dealing with an injury anyhow so what do we have to lose?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Seriously, can we not send him down and call up Dumo? DP now looks like he's dealing with an injury anyhow so what do we have to lose?

I think we could have*, but if he's injured that's no longer allowed.

*Maybe not after the Chorney thing. I don't know the details of emergency recall.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't know man.. I seemed to recall BB getting some shifts on 71's line after that goal. I wouldn't say he was punished or anything along those lines..

To answer your question: At this point, I really don't know why Comeau/Kunitz have been getting so many minutes. If I had to guess, I would say it comes down to track record in the NHL. Comeau/Kunitz have one and BB doesn't.

Despite his game totally falling off a cliff, Kunitz is one of the top scoring forward since the lockout. Comeau had a good first half of the season and has been absolute garbage since.

Bro, he scored his goal, then got demoted to the fourth line for his next shift. He had a few shifts with Malkin, but still ended up with 12 shifts and less than 10 TOI. How the **** does he end up with less than three minutes of ice time in the first period?

This is a coach that sees Sutter lose an important draw right before the tying goal, then figures a guy who has won 49% of his face offs should take the draw again over Crosby or LaPierre. Then to double up on the dumb, he puts Kunitz out there. Not Spaling or Winnik. Kunitz. Kunitz doesn't block shots, nor is he very good defensively, yet there he was.

And the whole defense you tried to muster for why Comeau and Kunitz aren't demoted, is exactly why this org has ****ed itself so hard the last five years.

This team literally couldn't have done any worse if BB was getting time with Malkin for the last month over Comeau and Kunitz. Then we would at least have an idea of if BB can handle it or not.

Instead they are teetering on one of the most embarrassing collapses in franchise history and Comeau and Kunitz have two goals between them in the last 16 games. All that top six time and PP time... two ****ing goals. Two.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I do. I'm like a spurned lover at this point. I want to see this team burn. Purify it with fire.

i can state with virtual certainty that the Isles fan base' desire to lose on Fri and Sat and not make the playoffs - for the sole purpose of increasing the liklihood capuano is fired - dwarfs by a wide margin any such similar feelings of the Pens' fan base.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I always thought buyouts cost 1/3 of the cap hit, over 2 times the remaining years.

So if a player is making 3 million per year and has 2 years left, the buyout would be 1 million per year, but for 4 years?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
wasn't it like 1.1?

Could be. I was remembering like 1.2 for some years.

Does the buyout get extended over twice the contract length?

I know this is correct.

I always thought buyouts cost 1/3 of the cap hit, over 2 times the remaining years.

So if a player is making 3 million per year and has 2 years left, the buyout would be 1 million per year, but for 4 years?

I think it's 1/3 for young guys and 2/3 for old guys. Hence the debate over buying out Hodgson in Buffalo this summer while it's still cheap.

Edit:

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/6/14/5809612/nhl-buyout-rules-cba-refresher

Buy-out payments extend out twice as long as the original contract would have, but only pay the player a percentage of the amount still owed to him, based on age. For those under 26, the buy-out pays 1/3rd. If the Player is over 26, he gets 2/3rds of that salary.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
What will be the cap hit if they "buy out" Scuderi?

Even thinking about something like that is an exercise in futility. The powers that be either think that he's a really good player, or they would rather lose than admit they were wrong. Same goes for Kunitz and Lovejoy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Even thinking about something like that is an exercise in futility. The powers that be either think that he's a really good player, or they would rather lose than admit they were wrong. Same goes for Kunitz and Lovejoy.

And this is exactly why, as long as the guys who are currently running the team remain running the team, I have no faith in things getting better.

It's not that I'm concerned they CAN'T get rid of guys like Scuderi, Kunitz, Sutter, etc. It's that I'm concerned they WON'T get rid of them because they think they're such a big part of the core.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Play cotton eye joe and they will come.
:laugh:
So true

Here's where I'm at. "Anything can happen in the playoffs!" ********. This team is not winning the Stanley Cup. With that, I've accepted it. I'm okay with it. If they make the playoffs, great. If they don't, fine by me. Either way, what they need to do this off season remains the same.

Here's the thing. Beau has had several injuries this year. The one article said he has knee braces on both knees. Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason he's not getting 15+ min a game is because he's not physically able to? So much work on the knees during a game. Perhaps low minutes are their way of ensuring he's able to play game after game. Beau in every game is better than Beau in one / out one.
If he is so injured that he can only play a few minutes a night then he needs to be on LTIR.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Perron probably is wondering how he ends up on a team with Crosby and Malkin, yet doesn't get to play with either of them because the coach decides guys like Kunitz and Comeau absolutely can't be removed from the top six.

Perron got the chance to play with Crosby. He wasn't good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Perron got the chance to play with Crosby. He wasn't good.

That's not being honest. He was good at the start, then went into a slump. Plus, it's not like the guys he got bumped for are lighting the world on fire. At least Perron has the potential to be a producer with Sid or Geno. What the **** are Comeau and Kunitz doing, exactly, in the top six that makes them so irreplaceable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad