News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Looking at my providor (Shaw Direct), TSN Jets is 10$/m and LeafsTV is 5$/m while TSN Habs is in the basic package. Hoping TSN Sens if thats the route they take will be basic package - not extra.

I can almost guarantee this will not be the case...

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Looking at my providor (Shaw Direct), TSN Jets is 10$/m and LeafsTV is 5$/m while TSN Habs is in the basic package. Hoping TSN Sens if thats the route they take will be basic package - not extra.

Have you considered Game Center Live? $18 a month for every regional game in the league is a damn good deal if you have the speed and bandwidth for it.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Have you considered Game Center Live? $18 a month for every regional game in the league is a damn good deal if you have the speed and bandwidth for it.

If you use a VPN and sign up from a Euro IP addy GCL is $100 for the year (they charge Canadians $170). I used my Canadian CC, billing address, everything.

VPN also lets me watch all Sens games. I havent had cable in nearly 5 years. A big bonus is the android app. I watch quite a few games on my Note 2, just download a program that fakes your GPS location. My buddy doesnt even have GCL and he watches every stream...they are linked in ****** (wow...seriously HF? This is just pathetic. You know that giant site....the front page of the internet....) GDTs...just click the link and you are in. GCLs security is laughably bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
nothing about the broadcast will actually change if tsn wins, people. Other than the channel, I surmise.

I am curious as to why you think that... The broadcasters from TSN are under contract with TSN, the same goes with Sports Net. I think there is some potential for big changes here, ones that will likely be beneficial to sens viewers.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I'm not disagreeing with you, but we have seen the Jets fans pay, I don't know why it would be any different for us.

If you're actually paying money above your package to watch stuff on TV I dunno what to tell you. There are other options out there, just plug your laptop into your TV and go from there.

Seriously, be cheap. A whole world of freeloading, whether TV or anything, is out there for you to enjoy.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I love the fact that TSN always gives the Sens love so would be pretty happy if they picked it up.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I am curious as to why you think that... The broadcasters from TSN are under contract with TSN, the same goes with Sports Net. I think there is some potential for big changes here, ones that will likely be beneficial to sens viewers.

I think so too. By all accounts most of TSN's big time hockey talent is sticking around, so it only makes sense that they're going to work on whatever regional games the network gets it paws on.

Imagine TSN's panel for two thirds of Sens games for a year, Chris Cuthbert calling the games. THe TSN hype machine pimping out every game they have access too.

Could be very very good for the Sens and Sens fans. More professional broadcasts, better play by play . . . better everything.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Refuse to pay at the gate and now afraid of having to pay through cable. Gotta feel for Eugene sometimes.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
I can't find proof, but I believe that Dean Brown is employed by the Sens as the play-by-play guy for all non-national English broadcasts. I could be wrong, however. So, if correct, it's reasonable to assume he would be used by TSN if they get the contract. Note, that he calls games on TSN 1200 which is... TSN... radio.

I've found a LinkedIn profile (which could be fake), that looks real. He's listed as a Freelance Play by Play broadcaster.

Regardless of who gets it, the fact that there was/is a bidding war only benefits the Sens. And Melnyk's wallet.

Last edited:

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
If you use a VPN and sign up from a Euro IP addy GCL is $100 for the year (they charge Canadians $170). I used my Canadian CC, billing address, everything.

VPN also lets me watch all Sens games. I havent had cable in nearly 5 years. A big bonus is the android app. I watch quite a few games on my Note 2, just download a program that fakes your GPS location. My buddy doesnt even have GCL and he watches every stream...they are linked in ****** (wow...seriously HF? This is just pathetic. You know that giant site....the front page of the internet....) GDTs...just click the link and you are in. GCLs security is laughably bad.

Damn. Unfortunately I already paid for this season but I'll keep that in mind for next year. Thanks for letting me know!

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/28...ll-tsn?token=f678b822806ec8c60730704b8156cb37

deal is approximately for 7 million a year...so i guess the eug is only losing 3 million a year :sarcasm:

The article says they CURRENTLY get 7 million a year and sources have said the new deal should be "much much larger". Hopefully this shuts the team up about money woes. In regards to Dean Brown the Sun article says the Senators themselves have requested that Brown/Potvin be kept on, however, TSN will have final say.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease take this opportunity and move on from Dean Brown oh pleasepleasepleaseplease....

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Watching the WJC this year made me realize what the Ottawa Senators are to Bob Cole. You'd hear the TSN staff naming off each Canadian player by name and then "The Finnish player gets the puck!". The Senators might as well be a foreign national team to a guy like Cole. Regardless of his history if you are paid to do play-by-play at least learn the names of the players on all of the Canadian teams.

Brown might go off on tangents and be a bit of a windbag but at least he knows his Ottawa Senators' facts. It is nice to actually either A) learn some things about the team you devote a ton of time to watch other than how much they suck B) not feel like the announcer is rooting for the other team to win.

really?!? when was the last time Dean Brown told you something you didnt already know?

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
I used to be on the Bob Cole hate bandwagon when I was younger, but I now realize how epic he is. I love it. He makes playoff hockey so awesome, even if he is slow and senile. And I don't think he "hates" the Sens. He likes seeing Canadian teams succeed.

i agree with this.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
The article says they CURRENTLY get 7 million a year and sources have said the new deal should be "much much larger". Hopefully this shuts the team up about money woes. In regards to Dean Brown the Sun article says the Senators themselves have requested that Brown/Potvin be kept on, however, TSN will have final say.

ok so i skimmed it and missed currently, if we dont add now the fanbase should be upset, especially if it above that arbitrary number of 10 million (melnyks reported annual losses)

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
ok so i skimmed it and missed currently, if we dont add now the fanbase should be upset, especially if it above that arbitrary number of 10 million (melnyks reported annual losses)

With the Canadian dollar dropping he'll have reason to absorb the new revenue without spending any more.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

No worries. Looks like it'll be somewhere between 7mil and 68mil haha. If the Sens somehow get 30mil+ that would be 23mil extra that Melnyk has to work with. Obviously all of that money won't go right to Ottawa's payroll but I'd like to think it could help to make the team more competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad