News Article: Senators Sign 12-Year Regional TV Deal with TSN, $33M per Year

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
For all the flak Bob Cole gets when he calls our games at least he calls the damn game and doesn't go off on tangents like Dean does. He may not like our team but at least I don't have to hear him ramble about his rehashed personal stories.

I love Bob Cole, i ight be in the minority when it comes to Sens fans.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
For all the flak Bob Cole gets when he calls our games at least he calls the damn game and doesn't go off on tangents like Dean does. He may not like our team but at least I don't have to hear him ramble about his rehashed personal stories.

Watching the WJC this year made me realize what the Ottawa Senators are to Bob Cole. You'd hear the TSN staff naming off each Canadian player by name and then "The Finnish player gets the puck!". The Senators might as well be a foreign national team to a guy like Cole. Regardless of his history if you are paid to do play-by-play at least learn the names of the players on all of the Canadian teams.

Brown might go off on tangents and be a bit of a windbag but at least he knows his Ottawa Senators' facts. It is nice to actually either A) learn some things about the team you devote a ton of time to watch other than how much they suck B) not feel like the announcer is rooting for the other team to win.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I dont care if BBC Ukraine gets the rights all I want is to be able to spend some money on players and actually have a shot at winning the cup.

BBC UKRAINE FTW!!!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If we get tsn, can we get Chris Cuthbert and Ray Ferraro as our time tag team? They won't have anything better to do next year anyways. Dean can stay on and take Shawn Mckenzie's job.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
As a cord cutter, I just want a network that will broadcast games OTA. I don't really care who gets them. And Dean's voice is Senators hockey. To me, Schreiber is still the fill in guy who does Junior most of the time (even though I know he only does Sens now).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What does this mean for us out of town viewers?

Either way, you're lucky, you can just get NHL Game Centre live for 100 bucks and be done with cable entirely.

I love Bob Cole, i ight be in the minority when it comes to Sens fans.

I used to be on the Bob Cole hate bandwagon when I was younger, but I now realize how epic he is. I love it. He makes playoff hockey so awesome, even if he is slow and senile. And I don't think he "hates" the Sens. He likes seeing Canadian teams succeed.

Dean brown will just be a tsn guy instead of a sportsnet guy. Might get a new colour person, and likely some tsn intermission shows.

Nooooooo...

I would have to think Dean stays. He is the most knowledgeable out of any broadcaster for the Senators. Mind you Gordo is up there but he seems quite content with the radio gig.

I love when Dean and Gord get back together to do a broadcast. Like the olden days. #LivingInThePast

Last edited:

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
top priorities for me in ANY combo of national/regional broadcasters...

1. having all 82 games available to watch on TV
2. not having to pay a subscription to see any games
3. most lucrative possible for the sens to allow them to float a higher payroll

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
top priorities for me in ANY combo of national/regional broadcasters...

1. having all 82 games available to watch on TV
2. not having to pay a subscription to see any games
3. most lucrative possible for the sens to allow them to float a higher payroll

1. Yes
2 For the amount of money the Sens are going to get on the regional deal, we are absolutely going to pay. TSN is not a charity
3. Yes, but be careful what we wish for, do we want them bidding on the Clarksons of the world and moving players like Zbad and Lazar? I'm all for spending money but the right way

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
I shouldn't have to pay for my TV over and above what I already pay for it, IMO. why should I have to subscribe to pay to watch games on TSN now? they show games now on their channel, why should they make me pay to show them later?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I shouldn't have to pay for my TV over and above what I already pay for it, IMO. why should I have to subscribe to pay to watch games on TSN now? they show games now on their channel, why should they make me pay to show them later?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but we have seen the Jets fans pay, I don't know why it would be any different for us.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013

LOL. Good luck with that.

Maxd

Sep 29, 2008
anyone but Dean Brown ... actually ... any broadcaster willing to have someone actually call the play AND know the players names.

Brown knows their names ... but spends about 60% of the time the game is on NOT doing play by play. Put him as color guy somewhere ... please?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If it comes down to having pay per view channels to watch the majority of Sens games, I'm investing on a better monitor for my PC to make use of all the free streams out there. Cable costs too damned much already, I'm not adding any more to it.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Fantastic news. TSN is far superior in quality compared to SportsNet. Hopefully TSN can get Dean and Denis too.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
Fantastic news. TSN is far superior in quality compared to SportsNet. Hopefully TSN can get Dean and Denis too.

Don't forget, you've been seeing TSN national broadcasts, and you're comparing them to SportsNet regional broadcasts.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
Don't forget, you've been seeing TSN national broadcasts, and you're comparing them to SportsNet regional broadcasts.

I've seen many TSN regional Jets broadcasts. They are much better than SportsNet, mostly due to the fact that I can actually watch the intermission segments without cringing.

GOAT

Dec 5, 2006
Ottawa
I prefer SportsNet, mostly because most games are available in HD through a basic cable subscription. This will likely lead me to cut cable sooner and rely on internet streams, which are improving all the time.

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
Looking at my providor (Shaw Direct), TSN Jets is 10$/m and LeafsTV is 5$/m while TSN Habs is in the basic package. Hoping TSN Sens if thats the route they take will be basic package - not extra.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad