Silver Seven Senators Remain at Odds with Outside Scouting Consensus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The trade was contingent on the extension as Burrows wouldn't waive without it, so no it's not a separate issue, it's part and parcel of what we traded for and why many didn't like the trade.

Yeah I get that. It is weird how EK and Stone can't get paid but they have money for Burrows, Dadonov and Matt Murray.

Separate issue of pro evaluation maybe - but yeah I get it, Burrows was overpaid on a team that seems to overpay for veterans and underpay players in their peak years

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Actually my point is that it is just as hypothetical to suggest if not for Burrows we have no ECF run. We don't know one way or another but some are quick to claim otherwise.

I never personally claim that though. I once put some time into outlining Burrow’s play in each game down the stretch to illustrate that he was an important piece on the team down that stretch.

I pointed out for the types that need it that he was not ‘the’ most important price, but he was ‘an’ important piece that performed better than several other players on the team.

The salient fact is that we made the run to get in and went on a nice run to the ECF and he was a regular on the team that contributed significantly during the stretch run, and then while less so into the play offs, still contributed to some very key moments.

Those things all happened, and we’re talking about a player who played a regular shift for our team.

I personally have stated that I would not redo the trade, or wish that we had brought in someone else, because I am happy with the outcome with Burrows on the team, and am satisfied (not blown away) by his contributions to get us there.

The point is that the hypotheticals are all yours and other folks’. I simply am not willing to gamble that epic run (as a fan memory) in hopes that Dahlen could have gotten us a different player that contributed as much or more than Burrows.

Dahlen has done nothing up to this point to even support the notion that he was worth a ‘better’ NHL body at the TDL.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The trade was contingent on the extension as Burrows wouldn't waive without it, so no it's not a separate issue, it's part and parcel of what we traded for and why many didn't like the trade.

Eh, we gave an extension to get the guy we wanted for a cup run, I have no problems with that. Then we bought him out when he couldn’t play the following season.

I like that once again the team ‘went for it’, and this time it all came close to working. I’ll say one thing, I don’t miss the Bondra and Arnason days of TDL!

Some people get hung up on the money issues more than they should.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That was board hype. I clearly remember Dorion being on 1200 the next day and he referenced Dahlen as our internally rated #8 prospect

I can get on board with the idea that maybe we could have got a better asset than burrows but don't buy that dahlen was some can't miss type prospect. The year you're referencing Dahlen as a great pick he was playing with Elias Peterson and I'm thinking our people were watching that and attributing his success to Peterson

That said, Burrows played well for us when we went to the ECF. that run likely put 15M in the revenue coffers and Dorion's TDL moves resulted in him being nominated for GM of the year. That's not the narrative that this board prefers but it's factually true

I never claimed that Dahlin was like a first round top 10 pick. I think he was rising from where he was drafted.

Regarding Dorion, GM of the year has declined a bit now. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They were, based on reality at that time. Now I don't expect much from him; however, I expect significantly less of Burrows. :)

You mean to say that they were based on ‘your’ reality, relying on extremely limited information.

Totally fine as a fan, but once again it becomes apparent that maybe the pros in our scouting and development team know a thing or two we don’t about our prospects.

It’s all good. We had an epic run, and maybe Dahlen will crack an NHL roster this year. Everyone could win!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Eh, we gave an extension to get the guy we wanted for a cup run, I have no problems with that. Then we bought him out when he couldn’t play the following season.

I like that once again the team ‘went for it’, and this time it all came close to working. I’ll say one thing, I don’t miss the Bondra and Arnason days of TDL!

Some people get hung up on the money issues more than they should.

I’m sad that it takes an extra gifted buyout year to get a guy to come here when we are in a cup run. Other players around the league would love getting traded to the right market in that condition.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You mean to say that they were based on ‘your’ reality, relying on extremely limited information.

Totally fine as a fan, but once again it becomes apparent that maybe the pros in our scouting and development team know a thing or two we don’t about our prospects.

It’s all good. We had an epic run, and maybe Dahlen will crack an NHL roster this year. Everyone could win!

The scouts and Dorion identified him as desirable and gave him a 2 year contract to agree to be traded here. That did not work out well.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The scouts and Dorion identified him as desirable and gave him a 2 year contract to agree to be traded here. That did not work out well.

That’s the cost of getting guys to Ottawa … I recall the players we’re thrilled to get burrows … they would know better than anyone the reality of how few players would waive to come here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Sure, they had to pay extra to get him to come here for a playoff run, and they did, and then they bought him out.

I see them getting the guy they wanted, paying a premium, and not being afraid to buy him out when his usefulness was up.

None of that is a negative to me, other than having to overpay to get people to come here.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
That’s the cost of getting guys to Ottawa … I recall the players we’re thrilled to get burrows … they would know better than anyone the reality of how few players would waive to come here.
There is really only one reason why players have Ottawa on their NTCs. Spoiler alert, it has nothing to do with the city.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There is really only one reason why players have Ottawa on their NTCs. Spoiler alert, it has nothing to do with the city.
Seems to me that reason, among others doesn't really fit with this case. He was refusing to waive his full NTC without an extension, from the rumours at the time regardless of destination. Taxes obviously aren't at play when he was coming from Canada and extended in Canada, nor would we suck(we didn't at that time) or Melnyk given he did waive and extended.

The most likely scenario is he didn't want to leave his family for 4 months from the deadline to the end of the playoffs only to have to move again as a UFA signing with the highest bidder. If anything, I'd suspect landing close to where he planned on retiring was a plus, not a negative, given they have family a couple hours away in MTL and spent their offseason a there.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Seems to me that reason, among others doesn't really fit with this case. He was refusing to waive his full NTC without an extension, from the rumours at the time regardless of destination. Taxes obviously aren't at play when he was coming from Canada and extended in Canada, nor would we suck(we didn't at that time) or Melnyk given he did waive and extended.

The most likely scenario is he didn't want to leave his family for 4 months from the deadline to the end of the playoffs only to have to move again as a UFA signing with the highest bidder. If anything, I'd suspect landing close to where he planned on retiring was a plus, not a negative, given they have family a couple hours away in MTL and spent their offseason a there.
I wasn't replying specifically to the Burrows scenario. More to @Sweatred 's claim that nobody wants to play in Ottawa.

Your likely scenario is much more plausible than the "no one wants to play in Ottawa" story.

While I didnt really like the trade and the extension, Burrows' first game with the Sens was definitely a memorable one. That two goal game in his first game as a Sen was one of the most impressive debuts in a Sens jersey

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Outside Scouting Consensus remain stupefied that the Senators are able to draft all of these good players yr after yr that they had no idea existed. Joey Daccord was taken 199th in his draft yr & miraculously the Seattle Kraken think he is good enough to be selected in their inaugural expansion draft. What did the Outside Scouting Consensus have to say about that draft selection? Bet the Outside Scouting Consensus didn't see that coming, or how good Hoffman & Stone or even Batherson were going to be & a multitude of others who have already proven them wrong on numerous occasions. The only thing they ever seem to prove is that they are no experts, thanks Andy. :thumbu:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Actually my point is that it is just as hypothetical to suggest if not for Burrows we have no ECF run. We don't know one way or another but some are quick to claim otherwise.

We had an ecf run. Burrows was part of it. He contributed in both the regular season and the post season.

My lord, it was years ago. Why does this need to be constantly rehashed?

Reactions: Samboni

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We had an ecf run. Burrows was part of it. He contributed in both the regular season and the post season.

My lord, it was years ago. Why does this need to be constantly rehashed?

There is also a good reason he is part of the Montreal Canadiens right now.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Also likely he knew he wasn't getting another contract anywhere else, so make sure to get that last bit of money from the one team that does want you. I don't blame him for it...it's not like he was a Crosby breaking $100mil in career earnings or anything.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Ottawa got a very hard working smart NHL player in Burrows who would be an inspiration to the young guys & challenge the older guys to keep up to the vet. It took a long time & a lot of hard work for Burrows to finally reach the NHL & it's an inspiring story given how well he did in Van. He was near the end of his career & knew it would likely be his last contract & moved closer to home.

He got what he wanted & Ottawa got what they wanted & both sides should have been satisfied given that Burrows delivered some, but not all that they hoped at his age. The fact that he retired shortly afterwards says it all really & the cost was the price of doing business in the NHL sometimes.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I believe that you win thanks principally to top 11's. Your top 2 lines, thus 6 forwards, your top 4 Dmen and your starting goalie. These are valued assets and are rarely available in trade or reasonable free agency. Only poor GM's would trade away a top 11 player, unless he is certain of getting one back. And unless you are a very poor GM, you should never trade a top 11 for a player(s) who is not in the top 11. It is the Stone for Brannstrom trade (let's hope that Sokolov develops into a top 11).

Free agency can get you a top 11..but they are 27 and older, will want big dollars and the transplant can be "a shock". Hello Dadonov. Perhaps the best example of a huge mistake may come to be, Tavares.

So, you had better draft yourself a top 11 contingent. The bulk you keep, the rest you may trade. And you will, thanks to being in a small market, lose some in free agency. Failure to do so, will mean poor results, an insufficient supply to use in trades and as some leave, your stock will be empty.

You live and die by your supply of top 11's. I don't impose this on Ottawa alone. You can painstakingly go through the entire league. And you will notice that from year one to about year 14/15 prior to any one season, a team that has done well in its top 11 drafting, is doing well in its play. In some instances, very few of those top 11 it may have drafted are still with them, but they were most likely used in trades to acquire top 11's. Best example: Mark Methot for Nick Foligno, a key in the 17 ECF. Heatly for Hossa (long term mistake, short term trip to the Cup Final in 07).

There is no magic. Analysis may show Ottawa has done better than Tampa in terms of total players in the league since about 2000. And yes, they have played more games. And collectively more points. I did that exercise 4 years ago. I even corrected for the round and pick number. I was so proud!! I thought that I had discovered new science...Well 3 cups for Tampa and a 4th appearance. 3 added trips to the ECF. Then I redid the analysis based purely on top 11 assessment. They ate the Sens lunch. Who cares if three to four, 3rd line player plays 10 years and get 300 points each. You need a 1st line player to play 10 years and get 800.

As for them being an average NHL drafting team. Again, inconsistent with the results. And any argument of "small market" and not keeping players, is not backed by reality. For 14 years, they stood at the podium and missed way more than they hit in rounds 1 and 2. And their 3-6/7/8 (as they may have existed) fared only marginally better. Hockeydb is available to you.

Is hockeydb really available to me?? OMG all problems solved! Except it doesn't when you still look at things based on your own bias and cherry pick specific years to believe you proved a point.

You mentioned that Ottawa had 6 of these top 11 players drafted between 2002-2014. Here's a list of players from that period that fit the bill:

Karlsson
Zibanejad
Hoffman
Stone
Foligno
Silfverberg
Ceci
Lehner

That's 8. Is Ceci a top 11? Yup. What about Silfverberg? I think so, maybe you don't. But there's more:
Meszaros
Pageau
Elliot

All 3 of these are debatable. But I'd take Pageau as a hockey player over Hoffman or Silfverberg any day of the week, and he was valuable enough to net a 1st round pick in a trade. Elliot has played over 500 games in the NHL and been a #1 at times in his career. Traded for Ottawa's' best ever goalie in Craig Anderson. Meszaros was a top 4 for Ottawa while he was here, and was subsequently traded for a top 11 player in Filip Kuba.

This doesn't include a couple of 20 goal scorers in Eaves and Smith. I'll stick with 8 players over that time frame though since there should be no debating those, even though your number was 6.

2002-2007 was an especially dry time that you needed to point out. Ottawa had these slots respectively in the first round:
16, 29, 23, 9, 28, 29. You must realize that picks in the bottom 3rd of the first are not typically going to land you marquee players, and the 2 years that they picked above that were not especially good years.

You are not equating quality of picks and quality of drafts into your analysis. You made a point earlier that you'd like Edmonton's drafting record, so let's look at that instead of using the 2 time Stanley Cup champion Lightning as a benchmark. Which is typical when most people look at their own team and compare it to others - they show the best of the best to prove that we're the worst. Nooo, we're just not the best.

Edmonton's "top 11" from 2002-2014:
Hall
Draisaitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom
Eberle
Petry
Gagner
Dubnyk

Seems like they have more than Ottawa here, and better quality. But how did they get all this? By BEING a poor drafting team, sucking, and finishing at the bottom of the league. During this period they had 3 #1 picks, a #3, a #6, and a #7. Only time Ottawa drafted in that range was when they were able to select Zibanejad and he wasn't even a top 5. Only one player in that list was drafted outside the first round (Petry)

I've been analyzing draft statistics using hockeydb and other sources for the better part of 20 years. You can spin the data in all kinds of ways and come up with some differing conclusions. I would only ever take my observations and put them out there for discussion, because I don't think a lot of it is definitive proof, just a point of view. So telling people that hockeydb is there and to do their own analysis when theirs is still bound by opinion is kinda arrogant.

Reactions: JD1

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Is hockeydb really available to me?? OMG all problems solved! Except it doesn't when you still look at things based on your own bias and cherry pick specific years to believe you proved a point.

----

I've been analyzing draft statistics using hockeydb and other sources for the better part of 20 years. You can spin the data in all kinds of ways and come up with some differing conclusions. I would only ever take my observations and put them out there for discussion, because I don't think a lot of it is definitive proof, just a point of view. So telling people that hockeydb is there and to do their own analysis when theirs is still bound by opinion is kinda arrogant.
This is on par with arguing, religion, soccer and Ottawa weather. It gets a debate that I don't want.

Numbers are great..I just need anyone to give me an explanation for 07/08 to today...No one has... Everyone skirts the issue. Talks around it, etc. The team has stunk for 14 years. And no one offers an explanation. Until someone can explain, until someone offers a reasonable explanation. I am growing tired of replying.

My explanation for the failure: Poor drafting. Mucklar, Murray and the amateur scouts employed from 02-14 were bad... That is why I hate Eugene..It isn't the laundry list of faults..I don't give a flying fig. He needs to be better at hiring GM's. Needs to do better at monitoring them. At checking on progress and at firing. He sat and watched 2011 to 2014 and did not fire Murray..well 2017/2018 came...You piss your pants laughing at 2012, 13 and 14...Problem Child Cody Ceci and Curtis Lazar. The 11 rebuild after the sell off...3 firsts and a second...produced the Mik!!!!! which they f'ed up his trade...

they traded up to get Gagne (lets hope he does better in court, than on the ice). They gave up, Blackwood (NJ starting goalie..not George Vezina, I get you). And Anderson, a bust, luckily! Dorion was on TSN1200..arguing; how, they know what they are doing!!!...UHHH.. How would Balckwood look right now here?...Maybe, no Murray!!!! and only now exiting his ELC. And the Sens not having Murray's albatross contract around their neck and Blackwood being their #1 for another 10 years. Brandon Carlo went after Gagne, 6' 5" (5-6 Dman). Hintz going 1 pick after Chalpik that same draft. Or Greenwood 6'6" 2 picks after.

We know what we are doing..YUP...the last 14 years leave zero doubt.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Outside Scouting Consensus remain stupefied that the Senators are able to draft all of these good players yr after yr that they had no idea existed. Joey Daccord was taken 199th in his draft yr & miraculously the Seattle Kraken think he is good enough to be selected in their inaugural expansion draft. What did the Outside Scouting Consensus have to say about that draft selection? Bet the Outside Scouting Consensus didn't see that coming, or how good Hoffman & Stone or even Batherson were going to be & a multitude of others who have already proven them wrong on numerous occasions. The only thing they ever seem to prove is that they are no experts, thanks Andy. :thumbu:

It would be nice to see the drafting having a major positive impact on the game and season results.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
No one will give you an explanation that will change your mind, you've already made it. You're dead set about Ottawa being awful at drafting because you want them to be.

If you expect your team to be a Stanley Cup contender every year until you die, you're really setting yourself up for misery. You missed the parts where Ottawa was a goal away from the Cup final, probably don't remember the pizza line days, and forgot about the internal meltdown that happened within the team that was exacerbated by Eugene forcing us to sell the farm.

Ottawa has been a middling team for years, that's true. But without some decent drafting they'd have been a bottom feeder for decades.

I see you've already started the should've could've hindsight argument where if only they didn't do that thing at the draft when another player was available 10 picks later. That happens to every single team, it's laughable when anyone goes down that path

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Numbers are great..I just need anyone to give me an explanation for 07/08 to today...No one has... Everyone skirts the issue. Talks around it, etc. The team has stunk for 14 years. And no one offers an explanation. Until someone can explain, until someone offers a reasonable explanation. I am growing tired of replying.

My explanation for the failure: Poor drafting. Mucklar, Murray and the amateur scouts employed from 02-14 were bad... That is why I hate Eugene..It isn't the laundry list of faults..I don't give a flying fig. He needs to be better at hiring GM's. Needs to do better at monitoring them. At checking on progress and at firing. He sat and watched 2011 to 2014 and did not fire Murray..well 2017/2018 came...You piss your pants laughing at 2012, 13 and 14...Problem Child Cody Ceci and Curtis Lazar. The 11 rebuild after the sell off...3 firsts and a second...produced the Mik!!!!! which they f'ed up his trade...

they traded up to get Gagne (lets hope he does better in court, than on the ice). They gave up, Blackwood (NJ starting goalie..not George Vezina, I get you). And Anderson, a bust, luckily! Dorion was on TSN1200..arguing; how, they know what they are doing!!!...UHHH.. How would Balckwood look right now here?...Maybe, no Murray!!!! and only now exiting his ELC. And the Sens not having Murray's albatross contract around their neck and Blackwood being their #1 for another 10 years. Brandon Carlo went after Gagne, 6' 5" (5-6 Dman). Hintz going 1 pick after Chalpik that same draft. Or Greenwood 6'6" 2 picks after.

We know what we are doing..YUP...the last 14 years leave zero doubt.

Then don’t.

Reactions: JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad