Prospect Info: Senators in WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Im drooling boys. The dynamic explosiveness and gamebreaking ability he provides and the steady, reliable powerful 2 way game Sanderson provides...

Man, we just need just 2 of Brown/Batherson/Norris/Jarventie/Greig/Pinto/Formenton to pan out (as great top 6ers or higher) and 2 of Wolanin/Brannstrom/JBD/Kleven and we'll be in serious business.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He played great. But. He DOES actually tend to skate himself into trouble sometimes. Like 4 extra stickhandles rather than just laying it off to an open player. Tonight was much more pronounced than last couple games. Maybe he saw tonight the team had a legit chance at winning so he wanted to take over a bit (which he did). But sometimes I was like dude you have an open player for a simple pass to the point or something. But he does tend to get tunnel vision for the most dangerous pass available. Even if it’s not completely there. Or he will hold onto it himself.

messily coached. Especially in the nhl where he will have talent around him.
I think the complete lack of talent on the roster may have factored into that. The vast majority of players on that roster struggle to make and receive clean passes and wiff on one timers. Stuetzle had been setting up players in the first two game and even early in this game and they weren't able to do anything with it. Many of the players made questionable hockey decisions when they had the puck and often tried to play above their skill level. Many struggled to simplify the game and cycle the puck. Half the time players had their sticks at waist level so pucks flew right past them. If they had their sticks on the ice they could have capitalized on more chances or maintained possession longer.

I agree with what you are saying I just think Stuetzle will perform differently when he has more talented players to play with. When players can give him clean passes, accept clean passes from him and get dangerous shots off from his set ups he could calm his game a bit. I am really looking forward to how he performs with legit talent around him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ya he looks decent but it’s the world juniors and such a small sample size

I can definitely see how special some guys are like stuztle but I wouldn’t write off jarventie
Not really a small sample size though, when 17 year Olds are really good at the wjc it's unique. All he does is score everywhere he plays relative to his peers and age, the raw talent is easily identifiable when he plays. You have to be able to identify these traits. Sometimes it's a simple as how easy it is for him to play his off wing and take a pass on his back hand. His first few steps create separation and he is visibly bigger and stronger than last year. He also finds the soft spots to get open very well. Then you watch a player like Holloway, big and fast but the small things aren't easy. He never finds the soft spots and is often forcing plays not letting it come to him.

Cozens for example can't handle a pass on his back hand. When the game slows down he is fine, his skill set allows him to dominate poor competition. When the speed ramps up he can't process the game fast enough and doesn't have the elite puck skills to make plays.

Or we took the next Mike Richards/Claude Giroux. You may be overlooking Greig's upside here. We will see what they end up becoming but there is good reason to think that Greig will end up being the better player in the long run. Lazar and Hawryluk would largely be considered busts at this point so you are evaluating Greig from a very pessimistic lens.
I'll be the first to admit I haven't seen enough of Greig to make an opinion. However I have a really hard time giving the western scouts the benefit of the doubt. Their track record of who and who not to draft has been horrible. I really hope he turns out, he sounds and looks like a player I'd really like.

Reactions: HzH

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the complete lack of talent on the roster may have factored into that. The vast majority of players on that roster struggle to make and receive clean passes and wiff on one timers. Stuetzle had been setting up players in the first two game and even early in this game and they weren't able to do anything with it. Many of the players made questionable hockey decisions when they had the puck and often tried to play above their skill level. Many struggled to simplify the game and cycle the puck. Half the time players had their sticks at waist level so pucks flew right past them. If they had their sticks on the ice they could have capitalized on more chances or maintained possession longer.

I agree with what you are saying I just think Stuetzle will perform differently when he has more talented players to play with. When players can give him clean passes, accept clean passes from him and get dangerous shots off from his set ups he could calm his game a bit. I am really looking forward to how he performs with legit talent around him.
Yeah its hard to evaluate this with Stuetzle in his current situation. I'd still prefer he tried more give and go's its not like his teammates don't want to give him the puck. Would have been such an interesting team to watch if they had Seider and weren't ravaged by covid. They're essentially missing their starting goalie, top 2 d men their 2nd/3rd best forward and two more top 9 forwards. I think they would have easily been the third seed and probably would have pushed Finland. Thought it was complete bullshit how they didn't change the schedule to help them out. They started off with 3 in 4 including two back to backs against the two best teams in the division.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The fact hat JJ Peterka isn't an Ottawa Senator is something Dorion and his scouts need to answer for. We had 2 real shots at it and the guys they took could have been later picks. Brutal.

You get right on that....making them answer for it

What's your approach?

Media blitz?
Billboards?
Instagram account?
Twitter take down?

:laugh:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah its hard to evaluate this with Stuetzle in his current situation. I'd still prefer he tried more give and go's its not like his teammates don't want to give him the puck. Would have been such an interesting team to watch if they had Seider and weren't ravaged by covid. They're essentially missing their starting goalie, top 2 d men their 2nd/3rd best forward and two more top 9 forwards. I think they would have easily been the third seed and probably would have pushed Finland. Thought it was complete bullshit how they didn't change the schedule to help them out. They started off with 3 in 4 including two back to backs against the two best teams in the division.

The Germans were offered a schedule change but chose to keep it that way so that they had the day off before the Slovakia game...and it seems their decision paid off for them

They did get robbed of a point though on the bs offside goal

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The fact hat JJ Peterka isn't an Ottawa Senator is something Dorion and his scouts need to answer for. We had 2 real shots at it and the guys they took could have been later picks. Brutal.

So, speaking of needing to answer for something

It seems you kind of fell off the map on this site shortly after covid hit (as a first responder I assume you were rather busy and we all thank you for that). One of the things you might notice that's transitioned a little while you were gone is that there is a lot less support for the views you bring to the board

To your post I am quoting, there's 11 posts in a page and a bit challenging your view. You might consider rolling forward that your extreme "anti team everything" approach is going to be met with more push back than you're used to.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
He played great. But. He DOES actually tend to skate himself into trouble sometimes. Like 4 extra stickhandles rather than just laying it off to an open player. Tonight was much more pronounced than last couple games. Maybe he saw tonight the team had a legit chance at winning so he wanted to take over a bit (which he did). But sometimes I was like dude you have an open player for a simple pass to the point or something. But he does tend to get tunnel vision for the most dangerous pass available. Even if it’s not completely there. Or he will hold onto it himself.

messily coached. Especially in the nhl where he will have talent around him.

I think that's a fair point and it is an observation I recall from scouting videos of him in the DEL. Spezza had a habit as well of trying to force the dangerous pass at high speeds.

I would point out that he must be pretty tired playing 31 minutes tonight and in the high 20s the other two games, at a pretty high intensity. That kind of physical toll will have an impact on decision-making. This was also an important game for Germany and he must have felt pressure to produce given the lack of secondary scoring -- all 4 goals came with him on the ice.

Beyond that, one reason I'm not that concerned is that I thought his decision-making specifically on the powerplay (where he had a chance to catch his breath) was exceptional. He made great reads, didn't force much, and was extremely patient with the puck along the half-wall. That shows me that he has a good IQ for the game and doesn't have to play at max speed all the time to be successful.

Finally, I just think that this is easily coached at the NHL level -- provided you have the right (patient) coach to do it. As much as I like Sanderson's composure, I'd actually prefer to see him continue to push the envelope offensively and take more risks at the junior level. I think it's easier to tone down the game-breaking stuff in the NHL than it is to increase it.

Reactions: variable26 and bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Jarventie is really young. He turned 18 in August. He would be Canada’s youngest player if he was on team Canada.

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jarventie is really young. He turned 18 in August. He would be Canada’s youngest player if he was on team Canada.

How’s he looked. Is he just a finisher like Hoffman or does he have the hockey sense and involve himself in the play?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How’s he looked. Is he just a finisher like Hoffman or does he have the hockey sense and involve himself in the play?

Not very good :) ... but I think we’ll see a better player next year. This tourney is dominated by 19 year olds.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

If you call pull a post from the draft thread where you were demanding we pick Peterka before the Jarventie pick ill give you cred.

I know I wanted to pick Peterka at 28 and mentioned it in the draft thread.

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If you call pull a post from the draft thread where you were demanding we pick Peterka before the Jarventie pick ill give you cred.

I wonder what type of info the Sens would have picked up from Stutzle about JJ in interviews. Do we know what their relationship is like?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Peterka was easily the guy most people wanted, and it was reiterated by a ton, just by default. He was an offensive German who is friends with our 3rd overall that was ranked in the 20’s that dropped 10 spots. That’s like everything on the list of things fans look for in prospects and default to being a terrible decision if we don’t take them.

Reactions: Sensators

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Peterka was easily the guy most people wanted, and it was reiterated by a ton, just by default. He was an offensive German who is friends with our 3rd overall that was ranked in the 20’s that dropped 10 spots. That’s like everything on the list of things fans look for in prospects and default to being a terrible decision if we don’t take them.
I think at some point in the reasons people wanted him is he looked good too. He has only gotten better as well. Not saying those factors aren't part of it but he looked like a player last year and just about every time I've watched him. I personally couldn't care less where he is from, he grabs my attention. Like I said lots of teams are going to regret passing on him.

Reactions: HzH and DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Peterka looks really good and I definitely would have loved to get him, but let’s see what Greig and Jarventie do as 19 year olds in he U20 next year before writing them off.

Reactions: bert

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Peterka looks really good and I definitely would have loved to get him, but let’s see what Greig and Jarventie do as 19 year olds in he U20 next year before writing them off.

I dont think anyone is writing them off, merely some of us are pointing out how well Peterka has played

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Ya he looks decent but it’s the world juniors and such a small sample size

I can definitely see how special some guys are like stuztle but I wouldn’t write off jarventie

I agree, Jarventie was always a projection pick, he’s much more raw than Peterka. Two and a half months after being drafted as a raw prospect isn’t the time to judge the pick. Even just in terms of body types, Jarventie is tall but he looks like he’s 16. Peterka looks much more developed physically.

Nevertheless it is surprising they didn’t take Peterka considering Dorion’s love for acquiring buddies and Peterka’s high effort play style which fits in so well with what Ottawa is building.

For the record I was hoping for Peterka, Grans or Gunler.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Anyone here seeing Drysdale as a better D then Sanderson?

I think Sanderson has stood out more, for good and for bad so far. I also think Drysdale's supporting cast is better so that needs to be factored in. It is hard to say for sure just from this tournament as Canada hasn't played any near equal competition and Sanderson had a rough game against a good Russian team. I give it a push for now, no reason to say one way or the other who is better.

Edit: forgot about the preliminary game against Russia that was close, I didn't really notice Drysdale in the game but only had the game on in the background.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think Sanderson has stood out more, for good and for bad so far. I also think Drysdale's supporting cast is better so that needs to be factored in. It is hard to say for sure just from this tournament as Canada hasn't played any near equal competition and Sanderson had a rough game against a good Russian team. I give it a push for now, no reason to say one way or the other who is better.

sounds a bit like the evaluation will be Ryan Sutter vs Dion Phaneuf, Seabrooke and Brent Burns, or Braydon Cobourn.

Seabrooke to me is the best D in that group !because he made the biggest impact on the ice. But how do you argue with his stats and minutes played that Sutter isn’t the best? And early in their careers Dion was hands down considered the best of the group. And today all these years later - Brent Burns is.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
sounds a bit like the evaluation will be Ryan Sutter vs Dion Phaneuf, Seabrooke and Brent Burns, or Braydon Cobourn.

Seabrooke to me is the best D in that group !because he made the biggest impact on the ice. But how do you argue with his stats and minutes played that Sutter isn’t the best? And early in their careers Dion was hands down considered the best of the group. And today all these years later - Brent Burns is.

I think at this point, its safe to say that in picking one D over the other we made a fine choice. Sanderson looks to have a high ceiling as he has shifts where he absolutely dominates play and possession. So much of how good he becomes will rely on whether those types of shifts become the norm or not. Just from this small sample size Drysdale hasn't had those same flashes but he also isn't being relied on in the same way as Sanderson is in this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad