Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part III

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
White had two excellent tournaments but his performance was nowhere near that of Stutzle

Agreed! White was more of the Sanderson in this comparison (not actually the top F/D) while Chabot is the Stuetzle (actually the best at their position).

A little flip but two of the best at their positions for sure.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I don't know man. He played great for most of the tourney but offense tended to die on his stick this year. Hard to say he'll be asked to be offensive next year based on what we saw this year. A year can be so long in the development of any player at his age though so who knows.

He's got a lot of room to grow so it's possible, but without looking at next year's team I'm just not sure he'll be suited to an offensive role. I'd love to see it because his play on his side of the red line was exemplary.

He tilted the ice towards the other teams end. Regardless of his own personal creativity with the puck it's hard to not feel that he's a big net positive for offense.

Reactions: Dionysus

R2010

May 23, 2011
Jake came pretty much as advertised.

Reminds me a tonne of Chabot in the skating and passing and overall style of play. Jake is a little better at zone entries and on the defensive side of the puck. Chabot did great at his WJC, but he also had a lot of development to do at that time.

Jake probably has a bit further to go to build that offense but the raw tools are there and the rest of his game is already really refined.

Hopefully he gets more PP1 opportunities at UND. He'll have to really earn it in that program though.

Chabot had elite skill and nerves of steel. Some of his goals/primary assists were incredible when you rewatch them.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
He tilted the ice towards the other teams end. Regardless of his own personal creativity with the puck it's hard to not feel that he's a big net positive for offense.
Exactly. If there is one guy on the ice for half of the game who consistently breaks up plays and turns the puck up the ice for the other four guys out there to put in the net, that is tremendously valuable to a team.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Without a doubt. At least to my eye. Ensuring the puck is in the other team's end more than yours is a huge bonus for offense and defense. He seems to do that. Much like Hampus Lindholm. He does exactly that at the NHL level. Great player. But offensively gifted players like EK, Chabot, Josi, Hedman, etc. tilt the ice.... then they provide the offense to finish the job by putting the puck in the other team's net(by passing or shooting, etc.).

Jake doesn't do that. YET.

Reactions: DrEasy and R2010

R2010

May 23, 2011
Without a doubt. At least to my eye. Ensuring the puck is in the other team's end more than yours is a huge bonus for offense and defense. He seems to do that. Much like Hampus Lindholm. He does exactly that at the NHL level. Great player. But offensively gifted players like EK, Chabot, Josi, Hedman, etc. tilt the ice.... then they provide the offense to finish the job by putting the puck in the other team's net(by passing or shooting, etc.).

Lindholm is probably a pretty good comparable IMO

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Just has to get it up to Stutzle

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Drysdale and Sanderson both had the same stat line offensively 2a in 6 games.

Difference is Jake was elite defensively on top of that, easily the best defensive player of the tournament. Drysdale looked like a mess out there defensively.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Their guy this year really didn't deserve it at all. I'd have given it to York or Sanderson before him. Even Byram, who I thought was laughably bad tonight.

Niemela played surprisingly well for a 3rd round pick, but hr can thank stat watching for his selection as top D.

On his same team Heinola was clearly better but happened to not hit the scoresheet quite as much.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Difference is Jake was elite defensively on top of that, easily the best defensive player of the tournament. Drysdale looked like a mess out there defensively.
Drysdale was certainly not a "mess' defensively.

Niemela played surprisingly well for a 3rd round pick, but hr can thank stat watching for his selection as top D.

On his same team Heinola was clearly better but happened to not hit the scoresheet quite as much.

Yeah dont get me wrong, Niemela was pretty fantastic and he should be extremely proud of his tournament - definitely outperformed a lot of guys older than him and drafted above him - but I was really surprised that he was named top D

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Drysdale was certainly not a "mess' defensively.

Yeah dont get me wrong, Niemela was pretty fantastic and he should be extremely proud of his tournament - definitely outperformed a lot of guys older than him and drafted above him - but I was really surprised that he was named top D

He most certainly was. Terrible in his own end.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Drysdale looked like a mess out there defensively.

Really? I watched all of the Team Canada games and that's not something that I noticed.

Byram-Drysdale were very effective and probably the most valuable players on the team aside from Levi and Cozens until the final game where everyone got dummied early on.

I'd have to say that I thought Byram was better, but he was also a lot more adventurous which I think forced Drysdale to play a little more cautiously.

But throughout the tournament, he showed a great ability in chasing down opposing forwards and limiting high quality chances.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Really? I watched all of the Team Canada games and that's not something that I noticed.

Byram-Drysdale were very effective and probably the most valuable players on the team aside from Levi and Cozens until the final game where everyone got dummied early on.

I'd have to say that I thought Byram was better, but he was also a lot more adventurous which I think forced Drysdale to play a little more cautiously.

But throughout the tournament, he showed a great ability in chasing down opposing forwards and limiting high quality chances.

I put a lot more emphasis on games against the tough opponents. They were largely fine up until these last two games. Neither one impressed me in the tough games, I thought Byram was cheating way too much on defense, was frequently WAY out of position. Drysdale seemed to not be able to track guys around his net very well, I don't think I saw him take the puck off a guy in the slot or behind the net once against the US. Just a lot of chasing them around, getting lost and taking himself out of position. Didn't like to skate the puck out of danger either, would try to force a pass out, which almost never worked.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I put a lot more emphasis on games against the tough opponents. They were largely fine up until these last two games. Neither one impressed me in the tough games, I thought Byram was cheating way too much on defense, was frequently WAY out of position. Drysdale seemed to not be able to track guys around his net very well, I don't think I saw him take the puck off a guy in the slot or behind the net once against the US. Just a lot of chasing them around, getting lost and taking himself out of position. Didn't like to skate the puck out of danger either, would try to force a pass out, which almost never worked.

You're putting emphasis on one game against one opponent that they lost.

We played two other tough opponents, one of which beat the tough opponent we played tonight, and they both played at a spectacular level. And the other just beat the tough opponent that beat the tough opponent in the bronze medal game.

They did not have a good game tonight, I'll grant you. Lobbying around gleeful proclamations about Sanderson isn't doing us any favours.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You're putting emphasis on one game against one opponent that they lost.

We played two other tough opponents, one of which beat the tough opponent we played tonight, and they both played at a spectacular level. And the other just beat the tough opponent that beat the tough opponent in the bronze medal game.

They did not have a good game tonight, I'll grant you. Lobbying around gleeful proclamations about Sanderson isn't doing us any favours.

Lol I'm not looking for favours, the world juniors just ended and it's pretty natural to draw comparisons between two players that play the same position that were drafted one spot away from each other. I don't care what other fans think. I liked Sanderson before the draft, thought he was a very smart player. I didn't like Drysdale before the draft, thought he was overhyped. I thought Sanderson played a great tournament. I thought Drysdale was pretty mediocre. I decided to voice my opinion about it. Heaven forbid.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol I'm not looking for favours, the world juniors just ended and it's pretty natural to draw comparisons between two players that play the same position that were drafted one spot away from each other. I don't care what other fans think. I liked Sanderson before the draft, thought he was a very smart player. I didn't like Drysdale before the draft, thought he was overhyped. I thought Sanderson played a great tournament. I thought Drysdale was pretty mediocre. I decided to voice my opinion about it. Heaven forbid.

Just try to keep the "hahahahahas" out of it if you want to actually discuss it.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Just try to keep the "hahahahahas" out of it if you want to actually discuss it.

Are you in the wrong thread? I didn't say hahaha in here. Plus this is the Sens forum, who cares if people talk smack about other people's prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad