Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part III

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Askarov played like a wet noodle.

Fins gave the USA everything they could handle...even without Jarventie in the lineup haha

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
@TheDebater, thanks for the response.

If it is too early to tell, you should not trust the scouts. You should suspend judgement in either direction. Of course, that is boring, but so is trusting the scouts.

I watched Jarventie play in Mestis. I have no doubt that Ottawa did their homework with him. I was shocked we took him. He is incredibly inconsistent. He did not really do anything for the first 2-3 games I watched him, but the next 2-3 he was really good. I have posts before the draft suggesting we should select Jarventie. He is an example that we cannot assume our scouting staff only takes safe players.

I am surprised we took him over Peterka, but there is no iron-clad argument that Peterka was highly likely to be the better pick at the time of the draft. They basically have the same NHLe, Jarventie is bigger, younger, and probably has a bit more natural talent. Peterka has better compete, and he is ranked higher by general consensus. To me, it seems like a coin toss at face-value. Of course, maybe someone's eye-test sees something awesome in one player that tips the scales, and maybe that person is right, but probably not. I am not going to wait to see how it plays out. I don't really care how it plays out. Ottawa has a very clear justifiable argument for selecting Jarventie over anybody else at that position, and that is good enough for me. One might not agree with the argument, but it exists, and it is fair. If Ottawa consistently selects players that have strong arguments to be selected, they will have draft success. With that being said, you can probably guess that my issue with our picks is when we take players that have no rational argument for being selected at X position.

@JD1

There is a lot to unpack with your post, and I am a bit lazy, but I am just going to say my name has nothing to do with statistics; it is in reference to analytical philosophy. This is why my profile picture is Bertrand Russell (although he does do math stuff, to be fair).

Here is a definition of analytical philosophy (not mine): a method of approaching philosophical problems through analysis of the terms in which they are expressed, associated with Anglo-American philosophy of the early 20th century.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Think every American not named Zegras, Turcotte and Boldy are going to look bad tonight.

It sure looks to me like the US is going to get dummied tonight.

I hope, and can see it, that Sanderson might hold up well. Canada's forecheck has been relentless but I think Sanderson has the speed to get back to dump ins and the quick reads to at least move the puck before multiple forwards are on top of him. I can actually see some of the same type of things with Faber. Now whether they'll have any place to put those puck retrievals is another matter all together. I think York is going to be slapped around tonight.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It should be interesting to see how Kleven handles the relentless Canada forecheck tonight & whether he can maintain his composure & get the puck out. I expect that Sanderson will play his usual composed & poised game & his size & skating should help him deal with the pressure.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It should be interesting to see how Kleven handles the relentless Canada forecheck tonight & whether he can maintain his composure & get the puck out. I expect that Sanderson will play his usual composed & poised game & his size & skating should help him deal with the pressure.
Kleven is in?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nice to see Jarventie battling a bit more, but he still has ways to go. Retought about this and I think his biggest problem is he has no "urgency" in his game, the play on big ice is much more about "technical hockey", skating and finding open space. The NA pace is very different which must be a big reason why so many skilled europeans never transfer well. NA hockey, you have to create your own space, the play is faster, the ice is smaller, you have to be more intense and fight for every each. He has to play with more pace, be more agressive and go after pucks instead of waiting the play to develop for him. I kinda hope he comes to play in Belleville next year. Wouldn't hurt one more year in Finland but not sure it's the best league for him to work on his shortcomings

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
3 shifts and lowest TOI so far after 1st.

upload_2021-1-5_18-31-42.png

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I’ve closed my mouth a lot on the Sens’ drafting the last couple years but I think trading up for Kleven and letting Toronto select Niemela and Hirvonen will come back to haunt us badly.

Reactions: LudwigVonKarlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad