Prospect Info: Senators in WJC - Part III

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Without a doubt. At least to my eye. Ensuring the puck is in the other team's end more than yours is a huge bonus for offense and defense. He seems to do that. Much like Hampus Lindholm. He does exactly that at the NHL level. Great player. But offensively gifted players like EK, Chabot, Josi, Hedman, etc. tilt the ice.... then they provide the offense to finish the job by putting the puck in the other team's net(by passing or shooting, etc.).

Jake doesn't do that. YET.

isn’t Chabot a perfect compliment to Sanderson? Sanderson takes the top Centers, plays 5 on 5, plays D zone face offs. Chabot takes the O zone face offs, plays PP and when we need a goal he’s out there every other shift being creative.

Having two D who play a different game is what we needed and makes you a better team.

when EK was here we didn’t have a D who could handle top players so he was asked to do it, and with the heart of a Lion he did. But take a couple of minutes of hard play away from EK and he’s an even better hockey player. Sanderson will do that for Chabot and Vice versa, Sanderson isn’t expected to be everything for us and play Offense and Defense in all situations

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
isn’t Chabot a perfect compliment to Sanderson? Sanderson takes the top Centers, plays 5 on 5, plays D zone face offs. Chabot takes the O zone face offs, plays PP and when we need a goal he’s out there every other shift being creative.

Having two D who play a different game is what we needed and makes you a better team.

when EK was here we didn’t have a D who could handle top players so he was asked to do it, and with the heart of a Lion he did. But take a couple of minutes of hard play away from EK and he’s an even better hockey player. Sanderson will do that for Chabot and Vice versa, Sanderson isn’t expected to be everything for us and play Offense and Defense in all situations

Yes- I think they are a perfect 1LD 2LD duo to basically play the entire game on the left side. It’s just a shame that Chabot may not be in the ice at the same to benefit from Sanderson’s possession and play.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm really glad Sanderson had a solid game, especially getting stronger after that little puck bobble in the first. That shows a lot, to be able to make an error (or less than perfect paly) and get right back out there and not let it linger in his head. Turn it into motivation to be better instead of crumbling.

That's one area I wonder about with Byram. He seems to let a bad shift or error really get to him, and you see the effects of it a few shifts later. Dude has to get tougher mentally and learn how to block that shit out. The kid has great skills, but if he lets his emotions run wild it's going to seriously hurt him in the NHL...especially in his ELC years.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
tenor.gif

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Sanderson has that even-keeled, never to high, never to low demeanor that coaches love at the pro level. You’d almost think he doesn’t have a pulse. Sandy is going to be an absolutely massive player for us in high-stress situations and he’ll play it the same way he does game 34 of a long season against the Coyotes.

We have those high-emotion type players in Brady & now Timmy so Sandy will be the perfect compliment to those guys and others

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sanderson has that even-keeled, never to high, never to low demeanor that coaches love at the pro level. You’d almost think he doesn’t have a pulse. Sandy is going to be an absolutely massive player for us in high-stress situations and he’ll play it the same way he does game 34 of a long season against the Coyotes.

We have those high-emotion type players in Brady & now Timmy so Sandy will be the perfect compliment to those guys and others

That's a good point.

We have fire on the forward lines, and ice on the blueline. Tim & Brady will ride their horses into battle, while Thomas & Jake keep things cool on the home front. Nice mix.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It gives me a bit of satisfaction that he was selected with the pick the Leafs gave up to offload Marleau. Should have gone higher.

If only the Islanders didn't turn things around when the NHL resumed, we would have had Stuetzle, Sanderson and... a mid 1st round pick! We could have packaged many things with that pick to move up and get a guy like Jarvis (or Lundell!)

Damn Isles! Speaking of that, I still have absolutely no idea why there was Sens fans cheering for them.

Seth Jones

If they add their 2021 first round pick, then maybe I'd be interested, and that's because Sanderson won't be in the 2021 line-up so their pick could be high without Dubois and Jones.

But to balance out the contracts and make it a bit more fair, I'd add to that

Seth Jones + P-L Dubois + 2021 1st round pick

for

Jake Sanderson + Nikolai Zaitsev

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If only the Islanders didn't turn things around when the NHL resumed, we would have had Stuetzle, Sanderson and... a mid 1st round pick! We could have packaged many things with that pick to move up and get a guy like Jarvis (or Lundell!)

Damn Isles! Speaking of that, I still have absolutely no idea why there was Sens fans cheering for them.

Once they made the QF's, and were locked into a bottom 4 selection, it made sense to hope for them to win the cup because it would have earned us an extra 3rd. That, plus the fact that its hard not to cheer for a guy like Pageau!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Starting to wish we had our 1st in 2019 just for the slight chance of Dorion drafting Zegras

Shame we couldn't just move up from 19. I would bet a good amount that the top 18, or at least 16/17 of the top 18 were ranked firmly ahead of Thomson on our list.

I doubt we would have taken him in the fourth spot.

Agreed, but the guys who went 4-5-6-7 are all pretty good prospects, too... especially the two DMen. I would have struggled to justify Seider over Byram at the time, but can you imagine a u25 D group comprised of Chabot, Sanderson, Seider, Brannstrom, JBD, and Kleven? Nasty.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Once they made the QF's, and were locked into a bottom 4 selection, it made sense to hope for them to win the cup because it would have earned us an extra 3rd. That, plus the fact that its hard not to cheer for a guy like Pageau!

No I was talking BEFORE they made the final four. Or maybe I just don't remember correctly and I am crazy (which is unfortunately a possibility lol)

We could simply verify in these Around the NHL threads but no big deal anyway

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I almost think that Brannstrom and Sanderson would make an awesome paring if Brannstrom gets moved to his off side. Sanderson really played a conservative game at the WJC, so whether he prefers that or the coach decided on it, we do not for now, but Brannstrom loves to skate and pinch on the offense so if the Chabot-Sanderson pairing would be overkill, then a Sanderson-Brannstromg one could be great too.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I doubt we would have taken him in the fourth spot.
Maybe but Dorion's the type of guy who doesn't care too much about prospect rankings. He just takes who he wants, and maybe him and our scouts would have identified Zegras as the awesome prospect he is.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Maybe but Dorion's the type of guy who doesn't care too much about prospect rankings. He just takes who he wants, and maybe him and our scouts would have identified Zegras as the awesome prospect he is.

Sens don't draft prospects like zegras, and the only reason we got Stutzle was because we lucked out drafting 3rd rather than 2nd.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Sens don't draft prospects like zegras, and the only reason we got Stutzle was because we lucked out drafting 3rd rather than 2nd.
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams would have picked Byfield because of the potential. I think it was really a lot easier picking 3rd.

Reactions: NyQuil

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams would have picked Byfield because of the potential. I think it was really a lot easier picking 3rd.

yup teams love that size, especially ottawa. which is funny because in a lot of cases it doesn't matter. I mean who is the better player Brad Marchand or Blake Wheeler? not to mention Stutzle is a tank.

I think Yzerman would have taken Stutzle at 2nd he seems ahead of the curve like that.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
yup teams love that size, especially ottawa. which is funny because in a lot of cases it doesn't matter. I mean who is the better player Brad Marchand or Blake Wheeler? not to mention Stutzle is a tank.

I think Yzerman would have taken Stutzle at 2nd he seems ahead of the curve like that.
LOL... so we are writing off Byfield and annointing Stutzle to the HOF, are we?

Ridiculous.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
LOL... so we are writing off Byfield and annointing Stutzle to the HOF, are we?

Ridiculous.

I never said that. But to me Stutzle has just as high upside without the risk of Byfield. This was my view before the draft as well.

However, Byfields floor is pretty high imo. 50-60 point forward who you can rely on to play against top players.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
If they add their 2021 first round pick, then maybe I'd be interested, and that's because Sanderson won't be in the 2021 line-up so their pick could be high without Dubois and Jones.

But to balance out the contracts and make it a bit more fair, I'd add to that

Seth Jones + P-L Dubois + 2021 1st round pick

for

Jake Sanderson + Nikolai Zaitsev

Um...unless you're joking, this is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad