Senators hire new Chief Marketing Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You're purposely spinning it as negativity towards everything Sens related when you know, and everyone here knows that the negativity is directed towards Melnyk and everything he's done. If anything, I wonder why I'm wasting my time replying to you.

If you, tnuc and a few others choose to support a man who treats others like crap, tries to defend someone like Lee and alienates everyone around him, that says more about you and your priorities than it does about me.

Melnyk owns the team you and others apparently like, or follow of whatever the hell you all actually do here. If you think the negativity brought towards the owner does not affect the team, well, it absolutely does. It hurts the teams ability to thrive, compete and stay viable. Oh, not only financially viable but viable as a competitive team.

It isn't about supporting the man. Many here can separate the man from the team. Many choose not to.

I can see that you would like to judge everyone and everything from your collective perches on your high horses. I just want to watch hockey and cheer for my favourite players. I know that is beneath you and your kind who look down on everyone and everything.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Unless the guy does a 180 im out and no amount of BS he spews will get me back I hate the man and have negative trust in him, he can speak up with his actions which again have been nothing but negative, he has had his chances and his time is come, his relationship is irreparable with the city of Ottawa and the core of Sens fans imo and he has literally nobody to blame but himself, Zero sympathy from me.

Cool. You may be waiting a while then to cheer for your team cause he ain't selling. You all can wait for that day. Or cheer for another team.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I maintain that if you know how to wade through the slop, it can be.

I agree. Pretty much all customer feedback is that way from my experience. There is no such thing as mass source of reliable feedback on your product or service. Take what you can get and this site has some good comments. The jersey design is a great example. Better concepts here than anywhere else.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Cool. You may be waiting a while then to cheer for your team cause he ain't selling. You all can wait for that day. Or cheer for another team.
We'll cheer for the team and take action to ensure he sells by withholding financial support.

Meanwhile, your actions will help Melnyk stick around.

Which fans have the Sens best interests at heart again?

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Melnyk owns the team you and others apparently like, or follow of whatever the hell you all actually do here. If you think the negativity brought towards the owner does not affect the team, well, it absolutely does. It hurts the teams ability to thrive, compete and stay viable. Oh, not only financially viable but viable as a competitive team.

It isn't about supporting the man. Many here can separate the man from the team. Many choose not to.

I can see that you would like to judge everyone and everything from your collective perches on your high horses. I just want to watch hockey and cheer for my favourite players. I know that is beneath you and your kind who look down on everyone and everything.

How can people separate Melnyk from the team when he’s the president, CEO and owner of the franchise who’s also involved in many hockey decisions and has his grubby hands all over the franchise? This season was the most disastrous in franchise history on and off the ice and they’ve actually managed to make the team worse! This is ALL on him. Alfredsson leaving twice was all on him, Karlsson’s eventual departure will all be on Melnyk too. The team is the laughing stock of the league and I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s not because of the fans, heck, even Toronto fans feel bad for Sens fans having to deal with that owner.

Melnyk is for some reason sabotaging his own asset, I (and many others) no longer feel like he’s earned the right to get our discretionary/entertainment spending.

I hope my decision as well as that of many others hurts Melnyk financially as much as possible, it’s the only way things will change. It’s obviously the only thing he cares about and I care about my own money more than I care about giving it to that idiot. He has to earn it, he doesn’t just deserve it like a select few here seem to think he does.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
How can people separate Melnyk from the team when he’s the president, CEO and owner of the franchise who’s also involved in many hockey decisions and has his grubby hands all over the franchise? This season was the most disastrous in franchise history on and off the ice and they’ve actually managed to make the team worse! This is ALL on him. Alfredsson leaving twice was all on him, Karlsson’s eventual departure will all be on Melnyk too. The team is the laughing stock of the league and I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s not because of the fans, heck, even Toronto fans feel bad for Sens fans having to deal with that owner.

Melnyk is for some reason sabotaging his own asset, I (and many others) no longer feel like he’s earned the right to get our discretionary/entertainment spending.

I hope my decision as well as that of many others hurts Melnyk financially as much as possible, it’s the only way things will change. It’s obviously the only thing he cares about and I care about my own money more than I care about giving it to that idiot. He has to earn it, he doesn’t just deserve it like a select few here seem to think he does.

Yeah I'd rather spend my $80-100 that I'd spend going to a game, at a bar and just get black out and cry and call my dad

Reactions: coladin

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
If you think the negativity brought towards the owner does not affect the team, well, it absolutely does. It hurts the teams ability to thrive, compete and stay viable. Oh, not only financially viable but viable as a competitive team.

If you think what the owner brings does not affect the team, well, it absolutely does. It hurts the teams ability to thrive, compete and stay viable. Oh, not only financially viable but viable as a competitive team.

I can see that you would like to judge everyone and everything from your collective perches on your high horses.

this is the most hypocritical thing i've ever read on HF

Here we go again, the negative troops are out in full force. Nothing this team or management does will ever be enough. Look at yourselves in the mirror...or better yet, why don't you all cheer for the Leafs as it seems deep pockets and hockey names are the only thing that will prevail. What a sad sad group of fans.

they could start by doing actual good things

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Here we go again, the negative troops are out in full force. Nothing this team or management does will ever be enough. Look at yourselves in the mirror...or better yet, why don't you all cheer for the Leafs as it seems deep pockets and hockey names are the only thing that will prevail. What a sad sad group of fans.
When the team finishes in last place and the only thing done since is subtract from your roster and not communicate anything to the fan base like they've done every single other year, do you really think there's going to be much positivity? What is there to be excited about since we have no idea what the direction of the team is going to be with our 3 best players all potential UFA's in less than a year. Hell we didn't even get the usual June/July media PR after the draft/dev camp/FA and that's what I'm most disappointed in, they have gone completely silent.

Also, aren't you the one claiming Karlsson still wants to stay, but insiders have reported that he won't stay with Melnyk still owning the team? If you want Karlsson to stay, wouldn't that mean you also want Melnyk to sell?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

You smart fans can do whatever you want. You all are smarter than dumb fans like myself. All I can say is this dumb fan watched Karlsson a hell of a lot more than many here, who profess to love the captain and gnash their teeth at the team's inability to spend. I enjoyed every moment, especially the magical playoff performances.

People in Ottawa were so smart that they didn't go watch in thousands in the 2nd Round. For shame.

Yeah, he is a bad guy. But last I checked he doesn't wear 65, 61 or 95. That is what I care about. Maybe you all should start too.

Reactions: ottawa

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you think what the owner brings does not affect the team, well, it absolutely does. It hurts the teams ability to thrive, compete and stay viable. Oh, not only financially viable but viable as a competitive team.

this is the most hypocritical thing i've ever read on HF

they could start by doing actual good things

I dunno, the owner brought 65 Million to an empty arena. Cheapest seats. But the marketing people didn't get the message out hmmm?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
When the team finishes in last place and the only thing done since is subtract from your roster and not communicate anything to the fan base like they've done every single other year, do you really think there's going to be much positivity? What is there to be excited about since we have no idea what the direction of the team is going to be with our 3 best players all potential UFA's in less than a year. Hell we didn't even get the usual June/July media PR after the draft/dev camp/FA and that's what I'm most disappointed in, they have gone completely silent.

Also, aren't you the one claiming Karlsson still wants to stay, but insiders have reported that he won't stay with Melnyk still owning the team? If you want Karlsson to stay, wouldn't that mean you also want Melnyk to sell?

Yup, tough times right now. I'm not happy either. But I am going to wait and see how the next ten days play out. That disastrous Wilson contract didn't help much, did it? I can't put the cart before the horse. This is a dreadful period and not fun for any of us. I wish it were more positive but after the debacle of last season, perhaps this strategy, as I have to think this is a purposeful strategy, will be for a reason.

Or the team is completely bleeped.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You smart fans can do whatever you want. You all are smarter than dumb fans like myself. All I can say is this dumb fan watched Karlsson a hell of a lot more than many here, who profess to love the captain and gnash their teeth at the team's inability to spend. I enjoyed every moment, especially the magical playoff performances.

People in Ottawa were so smart that they didn't go watch in thousands in the 2nd Round. For shame.

Yeah, he is a bad guy. But last I checked he doesn't wear 65, 61 or 95. That is what I care about. Maybe you all should start too.
You do realize that people can watch Sens games on their TV'S at home, right?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Sensung, if you think that watching your team at home is supporting your team, then there is no way anyone will ever convince you otherwise. The only thing you are supporting Rogers/Bell, Hydro, Heat, maybe water, but I think in your case it will be some alcohol and whatever food you are consuming, so maybe Giant Tiger. Great Sens fan we have. Seems there are a lot of these types here. You should try getting to a game, watching superstars live is impressive.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Sensung, if you think that watching your team at home is supporting your team, then there is no way anyone will ever convince you otherwise. The only thing you are supporting Rogers/Bell, Hydro, Heat, maybe water, but I think in your case it will be some alcohol and whatever food you are consuming, so maybe Giant Tiger. Great Sens fan we have. Seems there are a lot of these types here. You should try getting to a game, watching superstars live is impressive.
I have gone to games for many years.

I will not spend another dime on this team until Melnyk sells. Once he does, I will go back to Sens games.

If fans really care about the Sens they should take action to expedite Melynk's departure. The best way to accomplish this is to boycott spending.

Fans who give money to Melnyk are hurting the franchise.

Take the money you would have spent on tickets and go to a bar, have dinner and watch the game all while support the local economy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The Sens have one of the better Regional TV deals because of ratings for the broadcast. Without those who watch from home, do you think Rogers pays the team ~30 mil a year for broadcast rights? It takes all types of support for a franchise to be successful, and passionate fans, regardless of whether they attend the events live, are a big plus for any org, because it's that passion that spreads and creates TV contracts, corporate sponsors, and yes, even can help create more live attendance.

You can't pick and choose what kind of fan support you want, like a buffet. And like a healthy diet, you need all sorts for it to be healthy. Neglect your veggies and you'll get scurvy. You can't live just on steak (no matter how tempting that sounds).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Sens have one of the better Regional TV deals because of ratings for the broadcast. Without those who watch from home, do you think Rogers pays the team ~30 mil a year for broadcast rights? It takes all types of support for a franchise to be successful, and passionate fans, regardless of whether they attend the events live, are a big plus for any org, because it's that passion that spreads and creates TV contracts, corporate sponsors, and yes, even can help create more live attendance.

You can't pick and choose what kind of fan support you want, like a buffet. And like a healthy diet, you need all sorts for it to be healthy. Neglect your veggies and you'll get scurvy. You can't live just on steak (no matter how tempting that sounds).

rogers doesn't pay the Sens 30 m a year. tsn does.

and that regional deal happened as much because of tsn getting shut out by rogers on the national deal than anything else. they needed property and arguably overpaid to get it

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
With all do respect, I am very well aware of the TV deals and where the money comes from. I was simply replying to a comment from Sensung who thinks by not buying a ticket to a game he is going to tank the ownership and attract a new ownership group.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
With all do respect, I am very well aware of the TV deals and where the money comes from. I was simply replying to a comment from Sensung who thinks by not buying a ticket to a game he is going to tank the ownership and attract a new ownership group.
If fans empty the arena and hit Eugene in the pocket, he'll sell.

Melnyk's stupidity has made an empty arena the most likely scenario he is facing this season...time to sell!

Reactions: Heady Topper

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
EM has done sweet f*** all,except blame everybody else for his failings....That is the truth......

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Wow, for a guy who claims to be a business owner you sure don’t have a grasp of consumer confidence. When a business entity disenfranchises its customer base to the point where the business suffers, that is called capitalism. The consumer speaks with their wallets as their voice. Decrying the customer base is step one towards insolvency.
For all the people that are still confused, there is no such thing as a “bad fan base”. That is a myth. In any market (not just hockey but anything) if you do not have a product that people will spend money to support, then that product is a failure. Products fail. Happens all the time.
If the on ice product was exciting, reasonably priced, good in game experience, etc, people will spend to watch even if they hate the owner.
But right now the Senators have a bad owner, controversy, chaos, terrible on ice product, etc, etc. The team simply has no basis to blame the fan base.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wow, for a guy who claims to be a business owner you sure don’t have a grasp of consumer confidence. When a business entity disenfranchises its customer base to the point where the business suffers, that is called capitalism. The consumer speaks with their wallets as their voice. Decrying the customer base is step one towards insolvency.
For all the people that are still confused, there is no such thing as a “bad fan base”. That is a myth. In any market (not just hockey but anything) if you do not have a product that people will spend money to support, then that product is a failure. Products fail. Happens all the time.
If the on ice product was exciting, reasonably priced, good in game experience, etc, people will spend to watch even if they hate the owner.
But right now the Senators have a bad owner, controversy, chaos, terrible on ice product, etc, etc. The team simply has no basis to blame the fan base.

for the most part I agree with you

one interesting comment you made was reasonably priced

part of the challenge in this marketplace is the concept is reasonably priced. tickets in this market sell for less than other Cdn markets and imo the market will not bare our tickets priced at the rates we see in other markets. that of course impacts revenue which in turn impacts expenditures

and that really has nothing to do with melnyk

Reactions: coladin

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Melnyk should sell a small stake to Alfie and have him be the visible part-owner like Lemieux is for the Pens. Melnyk should then leave hockey decisions to the hockey people. He doesn't have to spend the cap every year, but try to spend it when they have a legit chance at the cup. His image would gradually improve.

Reactions: slamigo

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Yeah it’s subjective. However, I’ve personally taken my kids to games that were not only poorly played, but the in game experience was terrible. Games where the team lost 2-0 and there wasn’t even anything to cheer. You leave the rink thinking “what a huge waste of money”.

So it doesn’t matter if I spent $300 (Ottawa prices) or $375 (other market prices). Either amount was too much money for what my family received.

They need to address the fact that if the game is a snoozer, the experience/spectacle of going to a game does not override a terrible game. They need to make it fun to go even if the game sucks.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
rogers doesn't pay the Sens 30 m a year. tsn does.

and that regional deal happened as much because of tsn getting shut out by rogers on the national deal than anything else. they needed property and arguably overpaid to get it
Perhaps, but at the end of the day the specific company, and exact amount aren't the important part. TV deals are coveted for a very good reason. Overpaid or not, it's still a very rich contract and it is such for the reasons I pointed out. You're arguing the minute details, but the point remains the same.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

part of the challenge in this marketplace is the concept is reasonably priced. tickets in this market sell for less than other Cdn markets and imo the market will not bare our tickets priced at the rates we see in other markets. that of course impacts revenue which in turn impacts expenditures

and that really has nothing to do with melnyk

That's fair, but I'm not sure that's because of the fan base. Smallest corporate market (per NHL definition) in the league probably has a lot to do with that. Nobody is saying this market will ever compete with the big boys, and I think a team like Winnipeg is hard to compare at the moment because their smaller arena inflates average prices (they simply don't have the seats that we charge the lowest prices for) and because of how they locked people into 5 year Season ticket deals we really only have seen the honeymoon phase, and the strong team. Wait till they struggle and don;t have STH locked in artificially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad