LeBrun: Senators have "kicked tires" on Jakob Chychrun

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't really do trade proposals because I feel I'm way out of my depth.

I'd be ok with Greig++ but I'd have a real hard time doing 2023 1st + Greig. I'm confident that the Senators are much improved but the division is very strong and until we don't finish at the bottom of the standings we've been a bottom feeder. That 1st could end up being very high and Greig looks like he could be an outstanding player.

I'm honestly surprised at how so many people seem to think JBD is a throw-in. I don't think he's likely to turn into an impact top pairing D but he's a solid RD prospect with good pedigree.

I offered 2023 1st, 2023 2nd, JBD, Kleven, Zaitsev for Chychrun. I think that would a very good return but the Arizona fans seem to not like it which surprised me. They seemed to indicate they prefer Boucher over JBD?
I can’t speak for other Yotes fans, but there are at least 10 Sens prospects I would personally prefer over JBD (one is Kleven and yes, another is Boucher). If you swap Sogaard in there for him, that’s a tempting offer.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah, fair enough. But if a trade does happen and Arizona can't get one of Greig/Pinto/Jarventie(based on some reports) nor two 1sts straight across, do you think Arizona would do:
'23 1st(top 3 protected)
Sogaard
1 of Boucher/Ostapchuk/Kleven/Thomson/
Sokolov
'23 2nd
'24 WSH 2nd
Brannstrom
Zaitsev
I realize it's still more of the quantity over quality package in terms of no true blue chip prospect, but the value seems there if Arizona would do this type of deal rather than the fewer pieces/higher quality package with a Greig or Pinto type.
That’s probably too much coming to AZ, honestly. You could probably take out Sokolov and the ‘24 2nd.

Chychrun for ‘23 1st, ‘23 2nd, Sogaard, Kleven and Zaitsev is probably pretty close. Maybe Brannstrom is in there, too. I don’t know. Seems like a lot.

3 years is a long time to keep your young #1D.

I'm with the team that thinks Arizona may as well hold on to him even if he requests a trade but they think they're not getting their money's worth. Contract is binding. If he's going to sulk that's on him.

Ottawa's roster from 3 years ago is 80% gone. Chychrun could be leading a whole different team in 3 years.

Wonder if a Chychrun is good enough to make a Chychrun - Zaitsev second pair could rehab Zaitsev's image and bolster his value for the next offseason, however Arizona does need to reach the floor - they could acquire a different cap dump for a 2nd from another team.

Chabot - Zub
Chychrun - Zaitsev
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden
If we’re leaving Zaitsev out, I’d do Chychrun for Greig, Brannstrom/Kastelic, and a ‘23 1st.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That’s probably too much coming to AZ, honestly. You could probably take out Sokolov and the ‘24 2nd.

Chychrun for ‘23 1st, ‘23 2nd, Sogaard, Kleven and Zaitsev is probably pretty close. Maybe Brannstrom is in there, too. I don’t know. Seems like a lot.

If we’re leaving Zaitsev out, I’d do Chychrun for Greig, Brannstrom/Kastelic, and a ‘23 1st.
Sens wouldn’t, including the GM in that.

rt

May 13, 2004
So if Garrioch is correct and the deal needs to be dollar-for-dollar, and if Dorion is sticking with the list of untouchables he mentioned (Sanderson, Pinto, Greig, and Jarventie), and if Sens fans can’t fathom two 1sts being in the deal, what does that leave us with?

The ‘23 1st is a given. What needs to be added to a single 1st round pick to get to the value of Chychrun? (Assuming ‘24 1st, Sanderson, Pinto, Greig, and Jarventie aren’t available).

Also, we can all agree that Zaitsev is worth AT LEAST a single negative 2nd rounder, right?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Sorry, I.meant for Sokolov to be part of that bigger group, so I was proposing the 23 1st w/some protections, Sogaard, 1 of that middle tier of prospects and a '23 2nd for Chychrun, then the other 2nd and Brannstrom for Zaitsev. I could see dropping one of the 2nds or Brannstrom perhaps though.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry, I.meant for Sokolov to be part of that bigger group, so I was proposing the 23 1st w/some protections, Sogaard, 1 of that middle tier of prospects and a '23 2nd for Chychrun, then the other 2nd and Brannstrom for Zaitsev. I could see dropping one of the 2nds or Brannstrom perhaps though.
So Chychrun for Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Sogaard, Kleven, ‘23 1st, and ‘23 2nd?

As a Yotes fan, I’d probably do that. 5 meaningful assets is an awful lot for a return package, though.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

As a Yotes fan, I’d probably do that. 5 meaningful assets is an awful lot for a return package, though.
So similar or more than Eichel got.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So if Garrioch is correct and the deal needs to be dollar-for-dollar, and if Dorion is sticking with the list of untouchables he mentioned (Sanderson, Pinto, Greig, and Jarventie), and if Sens fans can’t fathom two 1sts being in the deal, what does that leave us with?

The ‘23 1st is a given. What needs to be added to a single 1st round pick to get to the value of Chychrun? (Assuming ‘24 1st, Sanderson, Pinto, Greig, and Jarventie aren’t available).

Also, we can all agree that Zaitsev is worth AT LEAST a single negative 2nd rounder, right?

Well, let’s look at Lindholm — comparable to Chychrun ( a high quality # 2 Dman, even if we think Chyrchun has a higher ceiling) — who went as a rental/pending UFA for a 1st + 2 2nds + a young roster Dman.

On that basis and looking at Chychrun alone and given he’s signed for 3 more years at a great AAV (and ignoring Zaitsev for the moment) a fair deal would be something like: - 2023 1st
- 2023 2nd
- 2026 2nd (being a 2026 helps defer it for OTT and AZ is flush with ‘24s & ‘25s)
- a B level prospect (one of Ostapchuk or Kleven would be my preference)

Is that fair for Chychrun? And if so, what then is fair to take on Zaitsev?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
LA and AZ were pretty deep in trade discussions at one point. Same with Rangers and Columbus. In fact Chychymay have torpedoed a trade to Columbus at the draft and if that’s true then i doubt Armstrong is going to want a lesser package than what he was going to receive from Columbus.
How could Chychrun torpedo a trade? Why would he not want to go their? He would fit like a glove.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

Yeah, Zaitsev has considerable negative value, so Brannstrom or Brannstrom+2nd is fair. A top 3 or 5 protected 1st, a good prospect in Sogaard and a solid prospect in Kleven(in your example) is the least I would think Arizona considers for Chychrun.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
actually not.
Just checked to see lists.
Krebs not on last years top 50.
In 5 minutes I found Krebs ranked 13th among F, 25th, 26th and 35th on 4 separate top 50/100 prospect lists for last year, but nice try. Whether or not he or Greig is the better player is certainly up for debate, but to claim he wasn't a top 50 prospect is a joke

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Listening to the Wally and Methot podcast, I doubt Greig gets moved. He is close friends with Sanderson and Boucher and the team likes to make the kids happy by getting their friends.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We all had a bad experience the last time Dorion caved on a GMs trade demands and since then he's avoided being the guy who blinks first.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad